IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED Upgrade: How does my cart look?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 06:56 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED Upgrade: How does my cart look?

I just read about 50 pages of LED lighting threads, I think this is what I want, before I order would some of you more experienced peeps help me out by looking at my cart?

Goals:

1. At night when headlights are on (In auto mode)
-Have Fogs and Stock HID lights match
-Where the DRL are located, have a tiny bluer LED that makes it look cool (I think this is the city light mode, i'm still a newbie)
-Puddle lights bright white

2. During the day when just the drl's are on
- Get rid of the ugly yellow tint light that they give off.

3. Change over the interior lights to blue (on a budget so not replacing the bulbs that are covered by the sun visors)

my cart:

[IMG][/IMG]

Questions:

- Will having the puddle lights be white and the interior lights be blue...be stupid looking?

- I was thinking that for the front dome light I'd put two white LED's on the side lights and a blue one in the center. That way when I got in the car it'd be nice and bright, but the white lights would turn off after a bit and leave just the blue one on. This would also help with keeping the car blue but also having a little white upfront. Is that a dumb idea?

- Do I lose high beams with this setup ?

- I assume the blinkers are already LED - is there anything I'm missing that I really should include in this order? (I don't care about the truck light right now..)

- Any better coupon code for v-leds than 15% off?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Jmags; 01-01-11 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-01-11, 10:08 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Hmm I guess I should edit the picture to show which ones I plan on using where... 67 people so far don't know
Old 01-01-11, 10:11 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So you don't feel ignored, I just want to say that I have no idea what you posted in your cart.

Sorry.
Old 01-01-11, 10:24 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Micaiah
So you don't feel ignored, I just want to say that I have no idea what you posted in your cart.

Sorry.
haha thanks! happy new year
Old 01-01-11, 10:39 AM
Micaiah

Happy New Year to you too! Two more days and hopefully the car will be yours!!
Old 01-01-11, 10:45 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Happy New Year to you too! Two more days and hopefully the car will be yours!!
We shall see

I'd love to post pics and talk more details about it but I don't want to give any clues just yet...

Here's a pic of it sitting in my driveway... where it wont be again until I get it straightened up!

First things are going to be:

- LED's (can't stand yellow lights)
- Tint
Old 01-01-11, 11:01 AM
Micaiah

Oh yea, that's a bad *** Camaro back there.... Here's my T/A

Old 01-01-11, 11:07 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Nice TA, I wanted one, but back then I wanted an M6 too and couldn't find that in a vert TA, I like the camaro... just tired of having a daily driver that isn't really practical.

and the paint on the nose is badly falling off/chipped

Old 01-01-11, 11:45 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

bump for brociouz !
Old 01-01-11, 01:55 PM
DEWIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmags
Hmm I guess I should edit the picture to show which ones I plan on using where... 67 people so far don't know
Jmags please share locations that bulbs go and after pics I'm interested in replacing OEM lights with LEDs in my 07 IS350.
Good looking Camaro!!! also Miciaich T/A looking good I just traded a 05 GTO w/6.0 6spd for my 07 IS350.
Attached Thumbnails LED Upgrade: How does my cart look?-img_0382.jpg  
Old 01-01-11, 01:58 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DEWIS350
Jmags please share locations that bulbs go and after pics I'm interested in replacing OEM lights with LEDs in my 07 IS350.
Good looking Camaro!!! also Miciaich T/A looking good I just traded a 05 GTO w/6.0 6spd for my 07 IS350.
Once I get confirmation I will.

If I'm right, these bulbs will make it so I have a blue interior and a bright white exterior. No yellow fogs or daytime running lights. That's the goal at least.

When I got in the car the other day the first thing I saw was this busted ugly dome light - I was in shock!

Now if we could get a clear cover for the dome light that'd be amazing.
Old 01-01-11, 03:30 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Son of biscuit!!! I just got done answering your plethora of questions, and then FireFox crashed on me before I could hit submit. Wow that's annoying. So here we go again.

Notes on your cart in the order the item appears.

1. You might want to consider 5k to better match your OEM HIDs.

2. The fog light in your car is a 9006, not 9005. You might want to consider an HID conversion kit instead of an LED replacement so you can actually have some usable light coming from your fogs.

3. This DRL kit will better match your OEM lows and be brighter: http://www.v-leds.com/Vehicle-Specif...-p9167528.html Use this for parking lights: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...04828-1-2.html

The others are good for what you're trying to accomplish.

Will having the puddle lights be white and the interior lights be blue...be stupid looking?
Personal preference. I have all white lights with blue door sills, door lights, and puddle lights.

I was thinking that for the front dome light I'd put two white LED's on the side lights and a blue one in the center. That way when I got in the car it'd be nice and bright, but the white lights would turn off after a bit and leave just the blue one on. This would also help with keeping the car blue but also having a little white upfront. Is that a dumb idea?
Personal preference. Having white and blue in the same dome housing would bug me though. I would just get all blue and then do white vanity lights for when you need white light (I know you're on a budget though).

Do I lose high beams with this setup ?
Pretty much. Your LEDs will light up when you hit your high beams, but they won't put on usable light on the road.

I assume the blinkers are already LED - is there anything I'm missing that I really should include in this order? (I don't care about the truck light right now..)
The turn signals? No, they're halogen bulbs, but I don't think they're worth changing out. And you need resistors if you do swap them out with LEDs to avoid "hyperblinking." Another thing to consider changing to LED is the reverse lights.

Any better coupon code for v-leds than 15% off?
Not that I'm aware of.

Once I get confirmation I will.

If I'm right, these bulbs will make it so I have a blue interior and a bright white exterior. No yellow fogs or daytime running lights. That's the goal at least.

When I got in the car the other day the first thing I saw was this busted ugly dome light - I was in shock!

Now if we could get a clear cover for the dome light that'd be amazing.
You could custom fabricate one, but I like the frosted look because it hides the inside behind.
Old 01-01-11, 05:14 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your total comes up to $213! That's too much compared to what I spent. All of you questions like brociouz said, are personal preference. I honestly like everything to match. That's why all my LEDs and headlights are all 6000k in temperature, basically white with a light blue tint. I spent only about $50 to switch all my lights to LEDs.

I just wanted to point out, the first and second to the last, you might not want to order them. They only shine from one side. Due to polarity, sometimes the shining sides may face the wrong direction and you'll get little light. You should just get the ones I got, pretty bright and much less compared to what you are paying. Don't do LED turning signals, they are dim and blink fast unless you buy resistors for them.

#2 in your cart is wrong too, you need 9006. Don't do LEDs for high beams and fog lights. You're better off buying 2 HID kits from HIDeXtra or DDM Tuning for less than the cost of LED bulbs, plus LEDs may have a flickering problem. With my set of interior LEDs, I ordered a 6000k HID kit for my low beams to match them from HIDeXtra.

Here's the link to the LEDs I bought:

Order 4 sets of these, one set for parking lights, mirror lights, courtesy lights, and puddle lights for $32 total: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320585792691

Order 2 sets of these, for the front dome lights for $10 total: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180477306142

Order one set of these for the rear dome lights for $5.50: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270593956046

I also got a few pics of how they look inside my black IS350. They look much brighter in person and my iPhone 4 camera can't get a good picture of the LEDs.

Courtesy Light taken out, it has 12 SMD but 8 SMD versions are far bright enough.

Front dome with mirror lights.

The 8 SMD version in mirror light.

Rear dome light.

Rear dome light taken out.

The 8 SMD version in puddle lights, way brighter in person.

The 8 SMD version as parking light.

Last edited by chi123; 01-01-11 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 05:25 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chi123
Your total comes up to $213! That's too much compared to what I spent. All of you questions like brociouz said, are personal preference. I honestly like everything to match. That's why all my LEDs and headlights are all 6000k in temperature, basically white with a light blue tint. I spent only about $50 to switch all my lights to LEDs.

I just wanted to point out, the first and second to the last, you might not want to order them. They only shine from one side. Due to polarity, sometimes the shining sides may face the wrong direction and you'll get little light. You should just get the ones I got, pretty bright and much less compared to what you are paying. Don't do LED turning signals, they are dim and blink fast unless you buy resistors for them.

#2 in your cart is wrong too, you need 9006. Don't do LEDs for high beams and fog lights. You're better off buying 2 HID kits from HIDeXtra or DDM Tuning for less than the cost of LED bulbs, plus LEDs may have a flickering problem. With my set of interior LEDs, I ordered a 6000k HID kit for my low beams to match them from HIDeXtra.

Here's the link to the LEDs I bought:

Order 4 sets of these, one set for parking lights, mirror lights, courtesy lights, and puddle lights for $32 total: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320585792691

Order 2 sets of these, for the front dome lights for $10 total: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180477306142

Order one set of these for the rear dome lights for $5.50: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270593956046

I also got a few pics of how they look inside my black IS350. They look much brighter in person and my iPhone 4 camera can't get a good picture of the LEDs.

Courtesy Light taken out, it has 12 SMD but 8 SMD versions are far bright enough.

Front dome with mirror lights.

The 8 SMD version in mirror light.

Rear dome light.

Rear dome light taken out.

The 8 SMD version in puddle lights, way brighter in person.

The 8 SMD version as parking light.

Thanks to both of you (brociouz & chi123) for your advice, so glad I waited until I got some feedback to order...

Chi123 - are the interior leds you linked available in blue?

Last edited by Jmags; 01-01-11 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-01-11, 05:48 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not for the first one but yes for the last two.

Get 2 sets of these 8 SMD Blue for mirror and courtesy for $34: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blue-...item1e5dfca77d

For the other 2 sets of exterior to be white, just get 2 sets from the first link in my other post. These will be for the parking lights and puddle lights since you want outside light to be clear white.

Then get these for the front dome lights, you'll need 2 sets again for $10: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...item27afe7e40f

And lastly, for the rear dome, these will work for $5: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...item3f00a82e6f

Quick Reply: LED Upgrade: How does my cart look?