IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oem hid issues! Who else is having them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 11:47 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I just noticed this issue on my IS a few days ago (07, Bought Oct' 06).

I will notice the light has gone off - then I turn my headlight off and back on, the HID is OK. I haven't swapped bulbs to see if it's the ballast or bulb, but I can't find the part # for the ballast on the Sewell website - anyone have it?

Someone mentioned there is a TSB for a similar issue but I couldn't find a link to it either - thanks!
Old 05-15-11, 12:09 PM
Niche2425
Rookie

Originally Posted by Riceater
Okay so my mom is the original owner of an 07 IS350, it has about 46,000 miles on it and is really only driven to work and back. Recently she has been having issues with the driver side HID not wanting to kick on.. a problem I have noticed around town as well from other 06+ IS's. Now her passenger HID is doing the same thing.. IMO this is a bit ridiculous that a 3-4y/o car with factory HIDs and ballasts should be having this issue. Our family has had several cars with OEM HIDs and not one has ever had issues with them. It would seem to me that if she's one of about 3 other people just in our town that are having this issue, I wonder if it's just something faulty with the ballasts themselves? Eventually these will be going out and I know OEM equipment is expensive in terms of headlights.

How many of you guys have had HID bulbs flicker and/or go out on you since you bought your car and have any of you tried getting it warrantied? I imagine Lexus will tell us we're SOL and to spend $1000 on new ballasts and bulbs but that's definitely not good enough when it's obvious this is a design flaw.
Is probably better if u dont go through the dealer unless they gonna do it for free under warranty. other than that there is alot of products out there online that can replace the problem ur having for a fraction of the dealer.
Old 05-15-11, 12:10 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a lot of threads popping up lately with HID/Ballast problems! hmmm

If your under warranty, the dealer is your best bet. If your outside of warranty and need to replace a bulb or ballast, you can find 'em much cheaper online.
Old 05-15-11, 12:23 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

my 07 IS 250 AWD doesn't have a ballast problem however, the stupid highbeam can get stuck after I use them. I'm not talking about the stalk next to the steering wheel. I'm talking about the high beam shield in the projector. I have to give my headlight assembly a love tap (fist pound) and it'll fix itself but during the mean time, I'm high beaming everyone lol. I noticed many IS x50s, GS x50s, Audi A4s and BMW 3s doing the same thing. More from Lexus tho . . .
Old 05-15-11, 02:45 PM
Numbahz
Driver

I have been having the same issues finally got some time off and am taking my car to the dealer tuesday and hopefully with some good news. My drivers side HID would turn off randomly when driving & idle I had the headlight replaced w/OEM bulb and still having the same issues so for me it Must be the ballist.. Luckily I splurged for a extended warranty so lets see what comes of it.
Old 07-03-11, 10:30 AM
Numbahz
Driver

Update: I took my car in for service the other day and after taking it there a few weeks ago they could not replicate the issue I contacted Lexus customer service since I have a exteneded warranty and they told me to maybe bring in proof of it going out. I went to the dealer they told me all the pics I took of the headlight out was useless to them as they must replicate the issue for insurance to pay it out, I left it with them confident I have found somewhat of a pattern which could help anyone else trying to fix this issue. The light goes out every so often but always within the first 3-8 mins of turning it on, then of course turning it on and off fixes the issue instantly. So after leaving it there and having them turn the lights on and off every 10 mins they found the issue and replaced the entire headlight assmbly ($1286.95 total under warranty thou). It hasnt failed on me in the last 2 days and it looks amazing being all shiny and new however the passenger side is a little worn from the last few years since mine is a 07'. Hopefully everyone having this issue has the same luck with a brand new assembly and bulb courtesy of Lexus under warranty of course..
Old 07-03-11, 04:11 PM
HIDness
Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
Hmmmm I got 50k on my 350 not one issue with my HID ever.
same here but 45k and it's a CPO 07 IS350
Old 07-17-11, 11:00 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
Take it to the dealer ASAP cuz a bulb is included in the factory warranty. I bought a CPO'd 07 last September and after a couple weeks one of the HIDs would go out. Since I was under 50k miles I waited until I brought it in for an oil change. Although I was within mileage the factory warranty expired via time a couple weeks beforehand. Luckily they didn't charge me for a new bulb.

Swap bulbs to make sure it's the bulb not the ballast. If it's the bulb buy a replacement elsewere. Sewell charges $150 vs the $300+ dealers have asked for.
I bought 1 pair of Denso OEM ballast from ijdmtoy.com They have a warranty included bc I was out of warranty on my lex. You will also need a heatgun and some patience. Good Luck.
Old 12-20-11, 10:22 PM
GRZMNKY
Driver School Candidate

My wife's 07 IS250 just starting having the same problems. Passenger side HID kept going out. Flick the lights on and off and they would stay on. I swapped bulbs and the problem follows the bulb.

I ordered some Garax 6000k through IJDM, but they are on hold at customs... so I ordered a set of HALO 6000k off of Amazon and overnighted them.

I installed the new ones and same problem, so I swapped the bulbs again, and it follows the bulb. Is there something else I should be looking at? With the new bulbs, if you turn them off, then back on a few times, it stays on. But on start up, it turns off again.
Old 12-21-11, 09:21 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It the ballast - they're garbage in the IS. I have to replace mine on my 07is350 too.

Since I am just out of warranty I have to buy a ballast off eBay remove the headlight, open it, replac ballast and put it bak together to fix it.

Lexus' solution is to buy a whole new headlight (read $$$)
Old 01-25-12, 08:41 PM
Antihero
Driver

Originally Posted by JEFFOS69
It the ballast - they're garbage in the IS. I have to replace mine on my 07is350 too.

Since I am just out of warranty I have to buy a ballast off eBay remove the headlight, open it, replac ballast and put it bak together to fix it.

Lexus' solution is to buy a whole new headlight (read $$$)
I'm in the situation, i plan to remove the the front bumper off and the head assembly off to replace the the OEM ballast. will this ballast off ebay work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Lexus-To...ht_2843wt_1270