Wheel killer pothole

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 02:55 PM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel killer pothole

I was driving at night and changing lanes yesterday
suddenly I hit a HUGE pothole that i didn't see it coming (which was on the line)

I didn't think of bending the rims at first so i only checked for bubbles on tires
But today when i got off my car it seems that the pothole had bent one of my wheels

I don't think it is leaking
So now I need suggestions
1. get shop repair it and call it a day
2. get a new wheel (that makes me out of $$ because I just paid my school term bill)
3. trying to get some money from the state(?) because of the pothole damage (not even sure if its possible..... or is it?)
4. ?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-11, 02:57 PM
Duke02
Driver

Sorry that sucks. Since it sounds like money is tight, I would just get a shop to repair it. I don't think you'll have much luck getting the state to pay
Old 01-09-11, 03:01 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What size rims are they? That's usually one of the downfalls for having too big of a wheel to have the very low profile.

I do believe the state/city would have to pay for that since that could cause an accident to the unsuspected and could of been prevented if they fixed the pothole in the first place.
Old 01-09-11, 03:05 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

his signature says 19"

the claim process might take a while. is it leaking air?
Old 01-09-11, 03:05 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Man that sucks! I would prob cry...lol...just get it repaired if your short on money.
Old 01-09-11, 03:08 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

I blew a tire a couple years ago by hitting a huge pothole. Wheel was ok though. I bought a new tire and had the car re-aligned. Called the county as it was a county road and not a state road. Filed a claim. They went after the contractor doing construction nearby. The contractor had dug up the road for utilities or some such...Any ways I got the tire and alignment paid for.

Also check out alloy wheel repair...I had some wheels straightened recently $125/wheel

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/usa_c...newjersey.html
Old 01-09-11, 03:10 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear :/

Getting money out of the state is useless, I tried it before. You will need:

1. A police report
2. Report the pothole
3. Evidence that someone reported the pothole and the government failed to act on it
4. And they will only reimburse you for what the insurance didnt cover.

NJ is a ***** to get money back, they outsource it to some law firm so they will run you around in circles.

Take it to this place off rt46, its 100 bucks to straighten the wheel... that's where I used to work on my Work wheels. Then its 25 bucks to put on tires and balance at a Lexus dealer

http://www.usawheels.net/
Old 01-09-11, 03:19 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SD.IS
his signature says 19"

the claim process might take a while. is it leaking air?
Oh opps, I didn't see the sig!! Thanks

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
I blew a tire a couple years ago by hitting a huge pothole. Wheel was ok though. I bought a new tire and had the car re-aligned. Called the county as it was a county road and not a state road. Filed a claim. They went after the contractor doing construction nearby. The contractor had dug up the road for utilities or some such...Any ways I got the tire and alignment paid for.

Also check out alloy wheel repair...I had some wheels straightened recently $125/wheel

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/usa_c...newjersey.html
My mom about two years ago in her 99 Camry hit a pot hole such that all the air came out of the tire in an instant (sounded like the tire blew but it did not). The car is only using the stock 15" wheels too! No damage to the wheel, the tire just needed to be aired up again.
--------------------------------------------------

On the news probably a month or two ago, it was on the news in WA, I-405 had a bad pot hole that kept blowing up driver's tires. It was bad enough to make it on the news since a lot of motors during the day kept blowing up tires on that same area and the DOT kept being called out! It patched up later during the day quick.
Old 01-09-11, 03:22 PM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikez
1. A police report
2. Report the pothole
3. Evidence that someone reported the pothole and the government failed to act on it
4. And they will only reimburse you for what the insurance didnt cover.

NJ is a ***** to get money back, they outsource it to some law firm so they will run you around in circles.
how is that possible to get evidence of people reporting it..... i think most of the people just suck it up and never reported =\

btw could this be covered by insurance?
Old 01-09-11, 03:30 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

I've done option number 3 successfully.Got 3g's
Old 01-09-11, 03:30 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I think you can cover it by insurance in most cases, unless the insurance say something stupid like they dont cover damages from non moving objects.

I filed my claim last December, and I got the reply from the state in April from a law firm, and I was like how in the hell can you prove evidence of people reporting it and the government fail to act? So I said eff it and no more donation to any state agencies.
Old 01-09-11, 03:31 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

nah insurance will not over that for u bro and yea the state will never do anything i have tried in NY
Old 01-09-11, 03:34 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

NJ and NY are the worst when it comes to it since they are broke and got the most potholes lol
Old 01-09-11, 03:34 PM
huch
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS250TW
how is that possible to get evidence of people reporting it..... i think most of the people just suck it up and never reported =\

btw could this be covered by insurance?
It's impossible for you to know if other people reported it unless there were pylons present or some sort of sign indicating there was or will be work done on that particular patch of road.

I had the exact same thing happen to my stock 18inch chrome rim. The lip was bent out like how the picture shows. In short the city refused to help (for the reason that "there were no reports of this pothole"), insurance would cover the cost of a new wheel ($1000 from lexus - LOL) but if you have a deductible on your plan then of course that will need to be paid. The last option which is what I took was getting the wheel bent back into shape. I think I paid a total of around $100 and it was cold pressed back into place and the gentleman verified (in front of me) that the wheel was round once again. After that, I've never had an issue with the rim, integrity seems fine, there's no vibrations at high speeds etc. Since your rim is not chrome, I would definitely get it bent back into shape unless your rim is really cheap.
Old 01-09-11, 03:38 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by huch
In short the city refused to help (for the reason that "there were no reports of this pothole")
Yes not only that, the state of NJ requires you to prove that once reported by someone previous to you, the state government failed to act on a timely manner...

I thought I had the case in the bag since I reported the pothole under different numbers between the different days, had police report, had all the receipts for the wheel and insurance assessment, and the damn state still got an upper hand on me

Quick Reply: Wheel killer pothole