IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New lexus owner coming from MB... My IS350.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 07:07 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to CL! Nice CF license plate frame.
Old 01-10-11, 07:42 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myMRMis350
Welcome to CL. I live locally, we just had a lil meet by your area in Pines last week. Looking forward on meeting you on a next one. btw careful on that 145 thing lol.
Thanks for the invite man would love to come out one day and meet my fellow locals. Hopefully my stockness wont be next to none Any plans on the date of the next meet or is it a weekly thing?

I made it from silver lakes to hialeah in 9 minutes that day dont have a radar yet but my eyeballs were the size of an apple looking out helps that we have some bright high beams too

Originally Posted by shiny250
lol well if you go 145 mph like you've done before, thats to be expected. theres a whole thread just for mpg so you can check out how others compare.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-thread.html
Thanks man

Originally Posted by mikez
Congrats and welcome.

Loved your pictures, looking at it makes me want to take my car out for a cruise right now!
DO IT!!!

Originally Posted by Rykster
Congrats on your new car. I got my IS350 right after Thanksgiving. And I too decided "no modding."

(BTW, my new f-sport exhaust from Sewell Lexus should be arriving any day now. The modding thing starts as just a little cough, then proceeds to a "bug," then it's a full-on fever. I held out for about a month. Good luck with that.)
LOL I think ill go cancel my health insurance now, no need for it.
post sound clip when u get that bad boy installed.

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
congrats and welcome to the forums, niice color choice too.
Thanks man appreciate the comment.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Welcome and congrats!!!
Glad to be part of a very welcoming family here at CL.

Originally Posted by Snubbles
welcome and congrats

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
welcome.... 145mph???? wow! im impressed
NOT MORE THAN ME!!

Originally Posted by lexusis305
Weclome to cl am local in miami hope to see around
Same here friend, I think ive actually seen you before but I was in my benz not the lexus yet.

Originally Posted by syzygy
Just a quick word of advice - RWD and 300 horsepower can get you into trouble with traction control off if you're not used to it.

Traction control off will get you the best straight line acceleration and (therefore) is more fun (traction control on will bog down the car down slightly from 0 under WOT), but be sure to get sufficiently accustomed to the car before you drive around with traction control off too much.

Fortunately you can turn traction control on and off simply by holding the trac button for 5 seconds while at a stop.

I got myself into a hairy situation or two in the first few months following my IS350 purchase driving around with traction control off, often under dry conditions, and it was because my prior long term vehicle didn't have anywhere near the powerful acceleration of the IS350.
Ive been doing it wrong this whole time, whenever I have tried to bypass traction control I thought it was only a temporary thing as "trac off" would only light up for a couple of seconds. I was only pressing once not holding it

Originally Posted by JUSROLLIN
The IS350 is limited from the factory at 142 mph.

Brandon
I didnt come here to blatanly lie to anyone or show off.
Old 01-10-11, 07:45 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by metalgear
Welcome to CL! Nice CF license plate frame.
I got another one sitting around if anyone wants it
Old 01-10-11, 07:54 AM
Rush350
Lead Lap

Nice car and congrats!! We have the exact same IS350, year, color and interior (ML Stereo). Let the modding begin!!
Old 01-10-11, 08:04 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350

Ive been doing it wrong this whole time, whenever I have tried to bypass traction control I thought it was only a temporary thing as "trac off" would only light up for a couple of seconds. I was only pressing once not holding it
Pressing and immediately releasing the trac button will only dis-engage traction control through 30 MPH if I recall correctly. After 30 MPH, traction control will automatically re-engage.

If you want to permanently disable traction control, you need to hold the button for about 5 seconds (the appropriate indicator will light up on the dash once you've fully dis-engaged traction control). You can only do this while at a full stop, though. You cannot fully (or even partially) dis-engage traction control while you are moving.

In order to re-engage traction control, simply press the button once (no need to hold it). You can re-engage traction control even while moving. You do not need to be at a stop.

In order to get the full acceleration of the IS350 as per the chart below -

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/...S-350_data.pdf

traction control needs to be dis-engaged.

Traction control on can add nearly half a second through 100 MPH by bogging the car down (particularly early on). "With the 2007 Lexus IS 350's traction control shut down, we managed to find nearly a half-second improvement in its acceleration profile on the drag strip..."
Old 01-10-11, 09:08 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

great pickup! love the exterior and interior! if u havent noted it yet, what was the mileage at when u first got it?
Old 01-12-11, 12:53 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by syzygy
Pressing and immediately releasing the trac button will only dis-engage traction control through 30 MPH if I recall correctly. After 30 MPH, traction control will automatically re-engage.

If you want to permanently disable traction control, you need to hold the button for about 5 seconds (the appropriate indicator will light up on the dash once you've fully dis-engaged traction control). You can only do this while at a full stop, though. You cannot fully (or even partially) dis-engage traction control while you are moving.

In order to re-engage traction control, simply press the button once (no need to hold it). You can re-engage traction control even while moving. You do not need to be at a stop.

In order to get the full acceleration of the IS350 as per the chart below -

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/...S-350_data.pdf

traction control needs to be dis-engaged.

Traction control on can add nearly half a second through 100 MPH by bogging the car down (particularly early on). "With the 2007 Lexus IS 350's traction control shut down, we managed to find nearly a half-second improvement in its acceleration profile on the drag strip..."
Thanks for all the great info, this is very helpful. Were they really able to get a 4.9 0-60?!

Wonder what tires they were running. I am on pilot sports.

BTW in your opinion what is the best way to launch the 350 off the line? ..
I know to stay away from manual shifting and "power etc" only extends gear position. Brake launch at 2500 rpm?

Thanks man

Originally Posted by crazybuggy
great pickup! love the exterior and interior! if u havent noted it yet, what was the mileage at when u first got it?
Thanks man it took me 3 months to find it and only because THIS was the only interior I wanted. She had 39,8xx miles on the clock at the time. Currently up to 41,7xx
Old 01-12-11, 05:10 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Thanks for all the great info, this is very helpful. Were they really able to get a 4.9 0-60?!

Wonder what tires they were running. I am on pilot sports.

BTW in your opinion what is the best way to launch the 350 off the line? ..
I know to stay away from manual shifting and "power etc" only extends gear position. Brake launch at 2500 rpm?

Thanks man

Thanks man it took me 3 months to find it and only because THIS was the only interior I wanted. She had 39,8xx miles on the clock at the time. Currently up to 41,7xx
Yeah 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds is pretty typical across the board for the IS350. In reality, you'll find a range of times that's centered around 4.9.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Lexus-0-60-mph-Times.html -
2007 Lexus IS 350 0-60 mph 4.8 Quarter mile 13.3

Road and Track (link in previous post) - 0 to 60 in 4.9, 1/4 mile in 13.5

Torquestats.com - 0 to 60 in 4.9

Car and Driver - 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...s_is350_page_8

Edmunds insideline clocked 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds, but even they admitted that "there was a better launch in it" and 5.2 wasn't optimal.

So it's basically a range of 4.8 to 5.2. 4.9 is pretty typical.

ECT PWR mode tends to hold gears longer than usual and is therefore useful for spirited driving on twisty roads. If you want peak straight line performance, you should keep the car in ECT Normal.

As far as launching tips go - check out Raralith's 1/8 mile tracking thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sto...racking-2.html

Don't bother brake launching if you are running the typical 38 psi (rear) because you won't get any traction.

Here are a bunch of IS350 drag runs to inspire you -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFTj5WpVICY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6v8vPrcrWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2HX...eature=related
Old 01-13-11, 05:50 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

nice color, if you dont wanna mod too much, at least get some wheel spacers and youll be surprissed by the difference they make in looks
Old 01-13-11, 07:13 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

very true I ran 16mm rears and 12mm front spacers on my C230, world of difference. Unfortunately I am not too familiar with Lexus preffered products yet, if its cool can you recommend what brand spacers and sizes?
Old 01-13-11, 12:32 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the Lexus family! If you're married, be prepared to fight with your spouse when you have the mod bug. it's a dangerous virus that's spreading here. However, some of the members here are also great marriage councilors, so don't hesitate to ask any questions

Search is your friend
Old 01-13-11, 12:49 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

if you stay on here you will never "not mod" Enjoy!
Old 01-13-11, 01:07 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

I am starting to realize this, fujita intake on the way LOL
Old 01-13-11, 01:17 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

^ Haha the "fujita intake on the way" came from outta no where... wham!
Old 01-13-11, 10:19 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to CL. We'll see how long you can hold off the mod bug. I give you 3 weeks.

Quick Reply: New lexus owner coming from MB... My IS350.