IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 03:57 AM
dabomb506
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check VSC Light Question

So my 06 IS250 has recently been giving me a Check VSC error. About 3x approximately. It goes away after I turn off and turn the car back on. Usually it happens when I turn on the car but I had it happen once while I was driving. I tightened the gas cap after the first time which didn't fix it. I can' seem to reproduce the error either as it happens randomly. My car is out of warranty as well. What are my options at the moment? Should I disconnect my car battery / reset the ECU?

I just bought an ODB2 scanner but I don't think it will spit out an error code unless the Check VSC light is on?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-11-11, 05:57 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about the answer too. This happened to me only once before though. It went away when I turned the car off and back on though. I didn't know if it was a fluke or something was wrong or anything at all.
Old 01-11-11, 07:07 AM
lancematic
Driver School Candidate

Check VSC is usually tied to a check engine light. You may be able to still read the code even if it is not idicated on the dash if it is currently pending. If you fix the reason for the check engine light Check VSC will go away.
Old 01-11-11, 07:57 AM
penone
Driver

Keep in mind that IF it is because the gas cap was not tightened enough it does take a few cycles for the CEL to turn off. It is not where you go and tighten the gas cap and voila! no more CEL light. I believe (but am not 100% sure) that it is about 10 on and off starts or something like that. Of course, if after a few days it is still on then you may have other issues. You would think the message on the dash would say Tighten Gas Cap or something like that instead of Check VSC.
Old 01-11-11, 12:32 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by penone
You would think the message on the dash would say Tighten Gas Cap or something like that instead of Check VSC.
It says "Check VSC" to let you know that the stability control system has been disabled due to a check engine light.

It's the check engine light that illuminates to let you know there is a problem. The check engine light is part of the OBD-II diagnostic system that has been mandatory on all cars since 1996. All OBD-II systems work pretty much the same way: the MIL (check engine light) comes on to let you know that diagnostic trouble codes have been recorded. Codes are read from a diagnostic connector located in the vicinity of the driver's left knee. Evap emissions leak due to a loose gas cap is just one of dozens of possible codes that the system might have recorded.
Old 01-12-11, 02:21 PM
dabomb506
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
It says "Check VSC" to let you know that the stability control system has been disabled due to a check engine light.

It's the check engine light that illuminates to let you know there is a problem. The check engine light is part of the OBD-II diagnostic system that has been mandatory on all cars since 1996. All OBD-II systems work pretty much the same way: the MIL (check engine light) comes on to let you know that diagnostic trouble codes have been recorded. Codes are read from a diagnostic connector located in the vicinity of the driver's left knee. Evap emissions leak due to a loose gas cap is just one of dozens of possible codes that the system might have recorded.
Will my OBD2 scanner get the codes without the CEL light on?
Old 01-12-11, 06:54 PM
BRossJD
Driver School Candidate

I get the Check VSC, but no CEL light. It happens periodically and always goes off as soon as I restart the car. I asked the dealer when I did the valve springs and engine knock at start TPBS and they said it was likely an ABS sensor. But they did nothing to fix it.

Has anyone solved this problem before?
Old 01-12-11, 07:05 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

make sure when your checking the code with a small dtc scanner from like auto parts that the car is not turned on ,but in acc. So the can read the codes. Also its for sure going to be some thinge with vsc/trac or abs like a speed sensor,
Old 01-12-11, 08:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

WTF? If the VSC off is lit, you've seen the MIL (master indicator light) and probably a CEL (check engine light). These STORE codes which you can retrieve from the ECM regardless of whether the MIL or CEL is lit (or not for that matter).

Without reading the actual codes, it's anyone's PURE GUESS what might be causing the issue you have.
Old 01-12-11, 10:35 PM
HS2G
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. My Check VSC, CEL, and Traction Control come on every few hundred miles or so then turns off for a few hundred miles. The cycle has been going on ever since I either installed my HID's or JoeZ Intake. It didn't affect the car so have just been ignoring it. But if there is a solution then I would like to get it fixed.
Old 01-13-11, 06:52 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happened ONCE, CEL started flashing, TRAC, and VSC came on. Limp Mode became active. Turned her off and back on, hasnt happened in a month.
Old 01-13-11, 07:34 AM
lancematic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
WTF? If the VSC off is lit, you've seen the MIL (master indicator light) and probably a CEL (check engine light). These STORE codes which you can retrieve from the ECM regardless of whether the MIL or CEL is lit (or not for that matter).

Without reading the actual codes, it's anyone's PURE GUESS what might be causing the issue you have.
Exactly! People, before you post a question of how to fix it......READ THE CODE!

And, if the check engine light is not currently on, your ECM has pending codes stored so you can still read what the code was.
Old 01-13-11, 09:56 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Vehicle Stability Control light can come on for a number of reasons. MAF, Throttle Control, wheel speed sensor, ect.

I noticed that when swapping my HID Ballast my VSC light came on without a CEL. It was caused from testing my lights with my air box/MAF dissconnected.
It must have stayed on due to the pending code once I plugged the MAF back it. I did have a code for the MAF, I cleared it and that solved the problem.

I would scan for codes, chances are it will answer your question.
Old 01-13-11, 05:35 PM
dabomb506
Driver School Candidate

Plugged in my ODB scanner today. No codes found =[
Old 01-13-11, 09:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

No codes stored? Then your issue is transient and likely related to a bad gas cap seal.