IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11 | 05:11 PM
silk509
Rookie

so i just order mine from macmall for 48.98 .. they are on back order too. they way the next shipment is like December 1 so well c.....
Old 11-19-11 | 08:24 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nosurprise
On a related note, when I use it it has some static noise when using the car power plug. I know there's a TSB for this, but does anyone knows where the filter is installed by the dealer? I have an alarm in my car that uses the space behind the shifter (little bit behind the D) ... is the filter install under the armrest box?
Get this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details

It just plugs in-line with the bluetooth music gateway.
Old 11-19-11 | 08:32 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ben10
I cannot find the blackberry music gateway anywhere without it being back ordered or over 100$! Anyone know of a good website or place, even.
Found this site: http://www.sparco.com/products/A1EG076.html

Says out-of-stock with ETA of 11/26 but only $37.44 + $8 S&H.
Old 12-05-11 | 11:18 AM
Ben10
Driver School Candidate

will this get rid of the whinning??? im over warranty....
http://www.frys.com/product/6256080?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Old 12-05-11 | 08:51 PM
nosurprise
Racer

that one looks like it's the same as the Amazon one, but Amazon is $10 cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Red...3146893&sr=8-2

I'm still in warranty, but not sure if the fix is install in the same location as my alarm sensor. I'm thinking of getting this one JK audio one, suppose to be higher audio quality: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ansformer.html
Old 12-05-11 | 09:40 PM
drummerjim
Driver School Candidate

Just got one of these today!
Old 01-05-12 | 06:18 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Just set this up today and it works pretty well. Using an Iphone 4s. My observations:

The good:

- Sounds pretty good to me. Not much different, if any to listening to a CD. Gotta work on getting music I have in flac file format converted to an Apple format to see how they sound.
- When the phone rings the music stops and car bluetooth takes over. End call and music returns.
- I don't hear the aux port whine sound and never had the TSB performed. Got lucky. Though maybe the not so good feedback issue below is related. I may get one of those isolators and see if it helps.

The not so good:

- Sporadic dropouts that last for like one second. It happened like 3 times today. Almost like it loses bluetooth connectivity but then gets it back. The sound gets quiet and muffled. Who knows.
- Feedback when no audio is streaming (eg. song change)

The Bad:

- No visibility to the device on the nav screen. Pressing the "Audio" button gets me to a screen which just displays something to the effect "playing through the aux port". No track listing or anything.
- Can't change tracks without physically doing it from the phone
- The only thing I can control via the car is volume.

All in all I like it. If anyone can offer insite to "The Bad" I'd love to hear it
Old 01-05-12 | 06:40 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by totalstu
Just set this up today and it works pretty well. Using an Iphone 4s. My observations:

The good:

- Sounds pretty good to me. Not much different, if any to listening to a CD. Gotta work on getting music I have in flac file format converted to an Apple format to see how they sound.
- When the phone rings the music stops and car bluetooth takes over. End call and music returns.
- I don't hear the aux port whine sound and never had the TSB performed. Got lucky. Though maybe the not so good feedback issue below is related. I may get one of those isolators and see if it helps.

The not so good:

- Sporadic dropouts that last for like one second. It happened like 3 times today. Almost like it loses bluetooth connectivity but then gets it back. The sound gets quiet and muffled. Who knows.
- Feedback when no audio is streaming (eg. song change)

The Bad:

- No visibility to the device on the nav screen. Pressing the "Audio" button gets me to a screen which just displays something to the effect "playing through the aux port". No track listing or anything.
- Can't change tracks without physically doing it from the phone
- The only thing I can control via the car is volume.

All in all I like it. If anyone can offer insite to "The Bad" I'd love to hear it
none of the bad will get fixed via cheap BT interfaces, you'd need a real "ipod integration" unit

The feedback is almost certainly the issue the TSIB addresses, just relatively quiet...the TSIB (or your own filter) would likely get rid of it.
Old 01-05-12 | 07:47 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Guess it's time to look for a mount for the phone. Not helping me in my pocket

Thanks
Old 01-07-12 | 11:16 AM
drummerjim
Driver School Candidate

This unit just acts as an aux input. Of course you can't control the ipod from the steering wheel. You'd need an ipod integration unit to do that at 10X the cost of this device.

I just got mine for christmas and it works BETTER than I thought it would. Here's why.... like I hoped/expected, sound quality is as good as wired. I get in the car, the device powers on, and it connects every time. The cool part is on my iphone 4S, it automatically recognizes it's connected to the bluetooth gateway, and turns the volume all the way up (which is always needed, wired or not, to get good audio quality from an aux input). But when I turn the car off and bluetooth disconnects, the phone turns the volume back down to where it was before! This is cool because previously, I'd turn the volume all the way up in the car, but forget to turn it down later and blast the hell out of my ears when I put my headphones on. Also if I'm streaming music and turn the car off, when the bluetooth disconnects, it automatically pauses the music. I'm super happy with it.
Old 01-07-12 | 11:18 AM
drummerjim
Driver School Candidate

oh also should have mentioned.....no hum or whining for me
Old 01-08-12 | 08:48 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Definately like the savings compared to a full blown integration. Any suggestions for a cheap but nice mount? I'd like some control over the device without being too distracted.

Thanks
Old 01-08-12 | 10:35 AM
nosurprise
Racer

You can get one of those GROM units for about $90 that has iphone/ipod integration. There a thread somewhere in this forum showing how to install. I'm consider doing that if I get an iPhone (but like the google stuff on my current android phone)

http://www.amazon.com/GROM-Audio-Toy.../dp/B001CU9DZU

Originally Posted by drummerjim
The cool part is on my iphone 4S, it automatically recognizes it's connected to the bluetooth gateway, and turns the volume all the way up (which is always needed, wired or not, to get good audio quality from an aux input).
Do you know if the same functionality works with iPhone 4? I'm debating between 4 or 4S (or another android phone).
Old 01-08-12 | 11:11 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

The sound quality is def not as good as wired people........it's good, but not that good.
Old 01-08-12 | 01:46 PM
drummerjim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Do you know if the same functionality works with iPhone 4? I'm debating between 4 or 4S (or another android phone).
I'd be fairly confident it does since both 4 and 4S are so similar, but I don't have a 4 to test.

To me sound quality is excellent. I can't tell the difference between wired, but I'm not scrutinizing it either.

Quick Reply: DIY - Bluetooth Music Streaming using A2DP