IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad experience with lifting the front end...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 06:53 PM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Bad experience with lifting the front end...

So I'm looking to change the oil. I usually use ramps because my previous car was lighter and tires were skinnier. My current ramps look too narrow and doesn't seem to raise the car high enough for me to even get under. So I got a floor jack.

I think I found the right place to put it under, lifting it was heavier than I imagined. Got only about half way up and I hear a weird little sound. Not sure if it came from the jack or the car. Lowered the car, and there seems to be a small dent in the lift point. The lift point seems correct, as it's the first metal part after all the plastic covering. I'm a bit scared of lifting it again now.

I also noticed that where I'd put my jackstands is only a thin metal strip where the jack is supposed to slide into. My stands aren't exactly shaped like that, so all the weight will be on that metal strip. Is that right/ok/normal?

I really don't want to be taking this car in to get an oil change

Thanks,
Old 01-20-11, 07:00 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Yea the jack points on the IS suck bigtime.
Old 01-20-11, 07:00 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jack point under the engine is the crossmember, hope you didnt try jacking it on the oil pan...

as for the jack stands, my rail thingy is all bent flat already, i dont worry about it but thats just me.
Old 01-20-11, 07:22 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

^^I have the same problem on all 4 corners.
Old 01-20-11, 07:29 PM
willfxp
Driver

Yeah, definitely looked like the crossmember. It definitely was not the oil pan It was a bit "interesting" to figure it out because I had no idea what I was looking at. My underbody looked like the picture of the non-AWD version. So I even checked to see if I had front CV's!

Not sure if I want to flatten out the jack points. What if I need to use that metal piece for the emergency jack? I'm used to trucks, so these "little" things are new to me :/

I have a Craftsman 2.25 ton jack. Is that big enough? I think so, as the car doesn't weigh that much.

Thanks
Old 01-20-11, 07:55 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you lifted it at the right spot, same thing happened to me.
Old 01-20-11, 07:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,037 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Originally Posted by willfxp
Yeah, definitely looked like the crossmember. It definitely was not the oil pan It was a bit "interesting" to figure it out because I had no idea what I was looking at. My underbody looked like the picture of the non-AWD version. So I even checked to see if I had front CV's!

Not sure if I want to flatten out the jack points. What if I need to use that metal piece for the emergency jack? I'm used to trucks, so these "little" things are new to me :/

I have a Craftsman 2.25 ton jack. Is that big enough? I think so, as the car doesn't weigh that much.

Thanks
I put a wood block on the jack to prevent damaging the metal on the car. Never had a problem with it. 2.25 is plenty of jack, the car doesn't even weigh 2 tons.

I've been using the floor pan seams on cars for more than 20 years without any issues. Set the car down gently on the jackstands and you'll be golden. Yes, it would be ideal to have a bracket that fits around this piece and you can order one from Eastwood if you want to spend the money -

You could probably buy four of them and drill holes in your jackstands to accommodate these, or fab up some yourself. They're not complicated.
Old 01-20-11, 07:58 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

por design on Lexus' part.
Old 01-20-11, 08:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,037 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
por design on Lexus' part.
Hardly. They don't build the cars for backyard wrenches, they build them for repair shops with lifts and rubber pads to lift the car by the floor pan seams. They work perfectly.

Maybe you'd like one of those 1950's style bumper jacks instead? We called them widow makers because they were so flippin' dangerous. It was the best Detroit had to offer then.

Old 01-20-11, 09:01 PM
guacamole
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my rail is all bent up.
Old 01-20-11, 09:26 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're not using the OEM jack you can make a cutout in wood to fit around that thin rail point so it doesn't get all bent.
Old 01-21-11, 12:41 AM
willfxp
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I put a wood block on the jack to prevent damaging the metal on the car. Never had a problem with it. 2.25 is plenty of jack, the car doesn't even weigh 2 tons.

I've been using the floor pan seams on cars for more than 20 years without any issues. Set the car down gently on the jackstands and you'll be golden. Yes, it would be ideal to have a bracket that fits around this piece and you can order one from Eastwood if you want to spend the money -
Originally Posted by brociouz
If you're not using the OEM jack you can make a cutout in wood to fit around that thin rail point so it doesn't get all bent.
Great ideas!!! I don't have a saw though... But should be easy enough to figure out. I'll post what I come up with.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-11, 05:41 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So if you use a hydraulic jack where do you lift the car initially before placing on jack stands?
Old 01-21-11, 08:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

While all this discussion on jacks and lifting points is valuable, I want to mention that I've been very pleased with my set of Rhino ramps. These are inexpensive lightweight plastic ramps that work great for oil changes.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-21-11 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 09:12 AM
willfxp
Driver

Originally Posted by DOUGLis350
So if you use a hydraulic jack where do you lift the car initially before placing on jack stands?
Lift the car via the cross member, under the engine. Then when it's high enough, put jack stands on the point right behind the wheel, where you would jack up the car if you were replacing a flat.

HTH

Quick Reply: Bad experience with lifting the front end...