IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Maintenance quote from Lexus.. legit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 07:12 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2IS350DT
nice, that is good to know. I'll def change the differential fluid for the sakes of the car and knowledge lol.
I think 30K should be good. I'll get quick123 to chime in about this because it was one of his posts that I saw he was changing them every so often (20K? if I recall) that I thought it would be best to change mine.
Old 01-25-11, 10:26 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let Toyota do my oil for $39

Brake flush price is good, but I bet Toyota can trim a few more bucks off it. I do it yearly....

Will go K&N on my next engine air filter (same price), just to be done with them...

I will also do the engine intake clean, but only by a authorized BG dealer. Despite the 350 not having nearly the carbonizing issues the 250 has, I feel this is just a good thing to do at the 50k range to keep your performance and MPGs up up there. I trust the BG system to be more through than the Lexus/Toyota system.

2cents
V
Old 01-26-11, 06:12 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I think 30K should be good. I'll get quick123 to chime in about this because it was one of his posts that I saw he was changing them every so often (20K? if I recall) that I thought it would be best to change mine.
There really isn't a solid change recommendation for the rear differential fluid...

I replaced my fluid because I wanted to use the Amsoil synthetic fluid, and I am crazy about having clean fluids...I have pretty good access to a shop, so I can go a little overboard sometimes servicing ahead of time, but it gives me good peace of mind as well...

I can tell you that the fluid was gray in color (car had about 35k on it) and there was a small amount of material on the magnetic plug (normal wear and tear), so servicing the fluid isn't a bad thing to do every once in a while, but nothing that is required...
Old 01-26-11, 09:09 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2IS350DT
I originally posted this under the maintenance section but it does not seem to be getting any views, so I am going to give here a shot..

Took my car in for the spring valve recall and the sales assitant countered with the following.

spark plugs-$108 during ALE recall

differential service-$108

replace battery-$169

fuel induction flush-$155

new wiper inserts-$39

engine air filter-$55

cabin air filter-$95

brake fluid flush-$102

oil and filter service-$69

these items are recommended due to time and mileage on the vehicle.

My car is sitting at 63k and I am planning on getting the 60k maintenance. So far, the only services that I can justify myself of getting done are the Spark Plugs and fuel induction. Anything else I will DIY or attempt to do so.

But as far as the pricing goes, is any of the services priced fairly? Also, is any of the fluid change included in the 60k Maintenance?

Thank you!
They are trying to rape you with these prices. Here are my thoughts:

spark plugs: if you can't do them yourself, let them do it.

differential: forget about it

battery: go to autozone, pepboys, etc. they will test your battery for free and let you know if you need a new one. if you do, buy it from walmart. it's easy to do it yourself and it will be half the cost.

fuel induction flush: biggest bunch of bs i've heard a dealership recommend. don't do it.

wiper inserts: only if your wipers are streaky. even then, do it yourself. if you can't, have them do it, but it should only cost you $20 (just got it done yesterday myself for that price). they are charging you double of what other dealerships are charging.

engine air filter: do it yourself, it's ridiculously easy, and will only cost you $15

cabin air filter: do it yourself, ridiculously easy, cost you $15

brake fluid flush: this is easy too, not as easy as filters, but it's so easy, i can't fathom paying for this. It will cost you $5 in brake fluid to do this. find a friend that knows how if you don't.

oil change: boy they charge a lot. go to ntb, firestone, or somewhere that only charges $20.

like i said, they're trying to rip you off.
Old 01-26-11, 09:16 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would DIY all of them... just for the sake of learning how to do all these.
Old 01-26-11, 09:23 AM
2IS350DT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allst4r
i was told by my service adviser the same thing that they will install the spark plugs labor free. since alot of pplz are having problems after the valve spring recall. which would be fixed by new spark plugs. so they change them out to save them the hassle.......

they probably lardy finished with the recall so that why they are telling you no... i gave them my spark plugs before they started working on my car. and got a battery under warranty.

Yes dude.. thats exactly what happened... I waited 2 hours to respond and he is telling me that engine has already been put back together.. and now its going to cost 355 to replace the spark plugs..
Old 01-26-11, 09:27 AM
2IS350DT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
No offense but sympathetic is not an adjective that I would use to describe my approach to chosing whether or not to allow a familiar technician at the local dealership to perform service on my car. In other words, I wouldn't "feel bad because I did not get anything done" by them.

I am sure your local dealership will prosper financially without you and your sympathy.

That notwithstanding, it is in the spirit of altruism that I would encourage you to consider what is best for you when deciding whom to chose to perform service on your vehicle. Now, that might include your local Lexus dealer; perhaps not; depending on your personal considerations; none of which should include any sympathy for a familiar and regular technician.

I just hate to see someone taken advantage of by a dealer for whom he or she feels sympathetic.

Please.

I doubt they would think sympathetically toward you.

That reminds me of the thread that I read in "ES models" where, out of sympathy, I am certain, a dealer charged a several time repeat car purchasing customer $7.50 for fuel used in a loaner that was returned after service performed.

I base my decision on whether or not to go to the dealer on what I think is best for me and my Lexus as I think so should you.

GL

You are so right on this one. I should not let personal feelings and sympathy influence my decision making.. after all, I am the customer and I do what is best for me and the car.

Thanks for the wake up call