IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions from a proud new IS350 owner: shop manual? smoked tails in MD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 08:23 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

2) From the sounds of the laws you posted, seems like text book legal smoking of tail light would be: You can smoke your tails as long as your reflectors reflect red (might not be able to smoke the reflectors, unless they feflect red still. I can check mine if they reflect still, Ive never driven behind myself so i dont know haha .

3) Paint them. Do it yourself, please. I did mine (PM if you want some instructions or tips). Output is not drastically reduced, and no cops have ever complained about them (I've been stopped during day light hours), so brake/blinkers are at least up to par with what they consider visible to other drivers. But really, they are very visible and mine are blacked out, not just the light smoke. What i like about the finish of mine is in daylight with sunshine, they have a, for lack of a better descriptive term, Dr.Pepper color to them. Unique and cool to me.

EDIT: I will make a quick DIY sometime this week since I've received a lot of people ask now and in the past about painting the tails.

Last edited by heyarms; 01-31-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 12:58 PM
XxFLASHxX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^shoot me those painting instructions too please!!
Old 01-31-11, 05:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
The best things about TIS are that it is searchable and always up-to-date.

Yes, you can go to town downloading PDFs of everything you are interested in during a 2 day subscription. It's pretty labor intensive though, as the repair manuals are broken down into small sections; you can't download an entire manual in one PDF.
Not exactly. A few documents are pdfs, particularly for much older vehicles, but the 2IS docs are not. Downloading them is much easier said than done. Toyco figured out people were getting a 1 day subscription then downloading like mad and selling the pdfs on eBay, so they've gone to a different format.

I have an annual subscription. If you do your own work or own three Toyota products, it's pretty easy to justify the expense. I probably spend time in TIS at least 5 times a month between the Supra, Scion, and Lexus. When you figure what shop time costs, a TIS subscription is cheap and ensures you have the right information to avoid costly mistakes. Plus you get access to all the Toyota training materials so you can get the same training their techs get which can be super helpful when you're trying to troubleshoot something you've never seen before.

To top it off, Toyota is by FAR the cheapest OEM for service manuals. All the others want more than $1k a year for a subscription. And with a subscription, you'll always know you have the latest information. If you print manuals, it's only as current as when you downloaded it. And, yes, you can print anything from TIS, so you can put your greasy hands all over it and make a mess of it, then just print again for a nice clean copy.
Old 02-01-11, 05:45 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not exactly. A few documents are pdfs, particularly for much older vehicles, but the 2IS docs are not. Downloading them is much easier said than done. Toyco figured out people were getting a 1 day subscription then downloading like mad and selling the pdfs on eBay, so they've gone to a different format.

I have an annual subscription. If you do your own work or own three Toyota products, it's pretty easy to justify the expense. I probably spend time in TIS at least 5 times a month between the Supra, Scion, and Lexus. When you figure what shop time costs, a TIS subscription is cheap and ensures you have the right information to avoid costly mistakes. Plus you get access to all the Toyota training materials so you can get the same training their techs get which can be super helpful when you're trying to troubleshoot something you've never seen before.

To top it off, Toyota is by FAR the cheapest OEM for service manuals. All the others want more than $1k a year for a subscription. And with a subscription, you'll always know you have the latest information. If you print manuals, it's only as current as when you downloaded it. And, yes, you can print anything from TIS, so you can put your greasy hands all over it and make a mess of it, then just print again for a nice clean copy.
You are correct sir. I ended up signing up for a 2-day subscription intending to just mass download everything I could. I was able to download all the TSBs, Recall Campaigns, Training Materials, Tech Tips, and some other stuff, but only because all that was in PDF format. The repair manual, which is really what I wanted, is not in PDF format and there's no easy way to download it all (I'd love to be proven wrong though..).

Overall I did get a ton of info for $15, so it was worth the money, but I do wish I could have gotten the manual. And I do agree with you that the annual subscription fee is not prohibitively expensive, but I was only doing it so I could get some background knowledge, not to actually work on my car since it's certified for 5 years/125k so you better believe I'm taking it to the dealer for everything.
Old 02-02-11, 05:23 AM
mlcoolj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess then you could wait and when there is something you want to know, just pay the $15?