IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

possible causes of IS swerve above 65 mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 10:03 AM
mslugx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible causes of IS swerve above 65 mph

Recently I became the owner of a IS350.. Man... what a ride. After i drive it for a while, i notice something isn't quite right about the handling of the car.

First I notice the car pull to one side when i brake, so i went in and did an alignment job, and now it doesn't pull anymore. I notice the natural position of the wheel will make the car go to the right. so i went back to the guy who did the alignment job, he said my wheels are not good (Pics Included), alignment only fixes pulls during brake.
Now I feel when i am driving over 65 mph, the steering wheel is very unstable, it's almost feel like it's slipping, or swerve to sides without turning the wheels. I have to constantly make small corrections to the wheel to go in a straight line.

My question is what causes this kind of handling? Thank you for your input in advance, and have a nice day.
Attached Thumbnails possible causes of IS swerve above 65 mph-2011-01-31-09.48.55.jpg  
Old 02-01-11, 10:36 AM
Duke02
Driver

I think it is highly unlikely that its a problem with your wheels. The biggest symptom of a wheel problem would be a shimmy at high speed at least coinciding with what you are experiencing.

It sounds like it could be tramlining associated with the low profile tires. I think that is a common symptom on the 2IS, especially with the stock tires. Essentially, the tires follow ruts in the road, especially under braking as more force is applied to the front wheels.

Some tires are better for it (my Pilot Sport PS2's really improved it over the stock dunlops that came on my car), but its always going to be a bit present with the low profile tires I think. I think it has to do with the fact that a higher profile tire has more ability to flex to follow the road without moving the car whereas the stiffer and shorter sidewall on the low-pro tires makes that much harder.
Old 02-01-11, 10:38 AM
Duke02
Driver

Also, it is pretty common for the car to drift to the right on most roads as road surfaces are crowned to let water run off. So, if you are on the right side of the crown, the road is sloping down to your right which can cause your car to drift that way.
Old 02-01-11, 10:50 AM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, tramlining seems to be exactly my issue. This is my first performance car with low profile tires. Seems like everything on this tirerack page hit the spot right on for me: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47
Old 02-01-11, 11:43 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

curb rash shouldnt make it swerve.
Old 02-01-11, 12:12 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I had to exact same problem on my old 350z. Try checking your tire pressure on the rear tires and see if they are correct. I think both my tires were overinflated at the time and the car was really hard to keep in a straight line at freeway speeds, expecially over rough roads. Once I decreased the tire pressure, problem fixed. What a difference 5psi could make!
Old 02-01-11, 12:12 PM
mslugx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by willfxp
Wow, tramlining seems to be exactly my issue. This is my first performance car with low profile tires. Seems like everything on this tirerack page hit the spot right on for me: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47
Willfxp, what's your tire spec for your car? Do you feel like your car is out of control when you driving through a rut or dip? or on highway?

Originally Posted by Duke02
I think it is highly unlikely that its a problem with your wheels. The biggest symptom of a wheel problem would be a shimmy at high speed at least coinciding with what you are experiencing.

It sounds like it could be tramlining associated with the low profile tires. I think that is a common symptom on the 2IS, especially with the stock tires. Essentially, the tires follow ruts in the road, especially under braking as more force is applied to the front wheels.

Some tires are better for it (my Pilot Sport PS2's really improved it over the stock dunlops that came on my car), but its always going to be a bit present with the low profile tires I think. I think it has to do with the fact that a higher profile tire has more ability to flex to follow the road without moving the car whereas the stiffer and shorter sidewall on the low-pro tires makes that much harder.
Thanks duke, this is a new issue i never knew. Now I will look into it and see what can be done. Do you have any recommendations? It seems to me all IS350 tires are low profile tires, unless you get all 4 matching set.
Old 02-01-11, 12:13 PM
mslugx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rog1206
I had to exact same problem on my old 350z. Try checking your tire pressure on the rear tires and see if they are correct. I think both my tires were overinflated at the time and the car was really hard to keep in a straight line at freeway speeds, expecially over rough roads. Once I decreased the tire pressure, problem fixed. What a difference 5psi could make!
I will check the tire pressure tonight.. Thanks for the tip. rog..
Old 02-01-11, 12:34 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont have this problem but then again i rarely drive over 60mph
Old 02-01-11, 12:36 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two often overlooked issues are tramlining, as previously described, and wind interference. On a windy day at high speeds, you're almost certainly going to have to make constant steering adjustments just to stay in a straight line.

The fact that you only seem to have these problems at speeds above 65 MPH is certainly consistent with wind interference issues (which, by the way, is a problem for all vehicles - not just the IS350). This isn't a definitive diagnosis, of course. Your problem might not be wind interference at all, but it's certainly one to consider. I only bring it up because it's one that I don't see talked about too often.

When I got my very first car (Honda Civic) I was the victim of wind interference (and tramlining), but I mistakenly attributed the constant wind-induced swerving to alignment issues. I had my car taken in multiple times and was always told that the alignment was well within specifications for my car. It was extremely frustrating, to say the least. Once I realized that there was nothing actually wrong with my car and that the swerving was something pretty much everyone has to deal with, I was fine with it.

Try to find an extremely smooth, straight road (perhaps in your neighborhood) and see if your car's alignment is within your expectations.

And, the next time you experience sudden jarring/swerving while going 65+MPH on a highway/freeway, open your window and see if it's particularly windy outside. If it is, then consider wind interference as the probable cause, and realize that it's nothing to worry about. It's irritating, but normal.

I will say my IS350 is less prone to wind interference issues than my last car, possibly because it's heavier.

What type of car did you come from? Was it heavier than your IS350? If so, perhaps you're accustomed to less wind interference-induced swerving than you'd like with the IS350 (3527 lbs curb weight).
Old 02-01-11, 12:37 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I have Michelin pilot sport ps2s on my is350 18 in rims. I'm always confused as to what is the proper psi for the tires. Some say go with the specs on te inside driver door, but wouldn't those be for the stock tires? Is it based on the tire, or vehicle? Sorry if that is a total newb question lol.
Old 02-01-11, 12:47 PM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mslugx
Willfxp, what's your tire spec for your car? Do you feel like your car is out of control when you driving through a rut or dip? or on highway?
I'm on stock 06 250 AWD wheels, or so I think...

Yeah. Slow speeds the steering wheel will jerk to either left or right side when I hit a little rut. When the road is just cracked, it'll pull to either side. On a nice freeway, I can let go of the wheel and it'll drive straight. Even at 65+, I don't have an issue unless the freeway has problems.

I bought it used at 75k miles. Front wheel bearings are being replaced on Friday. Because those went out, I can imagine other suspension related stuff will be affected as well. I'm thinking about replacing all the bushings at least.

I'll also check the tire pressure. Maybe the dealer I bought it from over inflated as well.

My previous car was a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and a small Saturn commuter car, both having sidewalls at least 2x as big of this 2IS
Old 02-01-11, 01:12 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AgBlue
I have Michelin pilot sport ps2s on my is350 18 in rims. I'm always confused as to what is the proper psi for the tires. Some say go with the specs on te inside driver door, but wouldn't those be for the stock tires? Is it based on the tire, or vehicle? Sorry if that is a total newb question lol.
The ideal pressure to set the tire is dependent on the load and what the car is going to be used for. What that number will be may or may not necessarily match the nubmers listed on the tire nor the door.

Example would be my co-worker, for his truck he does not follow the numbers because it does not take in account that he uses it to pull a boat - so he adjusts the pressure accordingly.

Last edited by Sango; 02-01-11 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 02:32 PM
mslugx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by syzygy
Two often overlooked issues are tramlining, as previously described, and wind interference. On a windy day at high speeds, you're almost certainly going to have to make constant steering adjustments just to stay in a straight line.

The fact that you only seem to have these problems at speeds above 65 MPH is certainly consistent with wind interference issues (which, by the way, is a problem for all vehicles - not just the IS350). This isn't a definitive diagnosis, of course. Your problem might not be wind interference at all, but it's certainly one to consider. I only bring it up because it's one that I don't see talked about too often.

When I got my very first car (Honda Civic) I was the victim of wind interference (and tramlining), but I mistakenly attributed the constant wind-induced swerving to alignment issues. I had my car taken in multiple times and was always told that the alignment was well within specifications for my car. It was extremely frustrating, to say the least. Once I realized that there was nothing actually wrong with my car and that the swerving was something pretty much everyone has to deal with, I was fine with it.

Try to find an extremely smooth, straight road (perhaps in your neighborhood) and see if your car's alignment is within your expectations.

And, the next time you experience sudden jarring/swerving while going 65+MPH on a highway/freeway, open your window and see if it's particularly windy outside. If it is, then consider wind interference as the probable cause, and realize that it's nothing to worry about. It's irritating, but normal.

I will say my IS350 is less prone to wind interference issues than my last car, possibly because it's heavier.

What type of car did you come from? Was it heavier than your IS350? If so, perhaps you're accustomed to less wind interference-induced swerving than you'd like with the IS350 (3527 lbs curb weight).
I used to drive a 04 G35 until i totaled it in the rain. It was a heavier car, and the handling is different than IS350. I didn't expect IS350 will have such a strong wind interference tho, even my parent's Camry wouldn't do that. The problem is when i run over some gap, or dips between pavement, it happens.

Originally Posted by willfxp
I'm on stock 06 250 AWD wheels, or so I think...

Yeah. Slow speeds the steering wheel will jerk to either left or right side when I hit a little rut. When the road is just cracked, it'll pull to either side. On a nice freeway, I can let go of the wheel and it'll drive straight. Even at 65+, I don't have an issue unless the freeway has problems.

I bought it used at 75k miles. Front wheel bearings are being replaced on Friday. Because those went out, I can imagine other suspension related stuff will be affected as well. I'm thinking about replacing all the bushings at least.

I'll also check the tire pressure. Maybe the dealer I bought it from over inflated as well.

My previous car was a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and a small Saturn commuter car, both having sidewalls at least 2x as big of this 2IS
I bought the car at 70K as well, could it be some part went out on us? I don't know, hopefully a tire pressure check will fix us both like what rog said. Else I am swapping out my tires, it feels like tokyo drift, and i rather drive it smoothly.
Old 02-01-11, 02:34 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I think most RWD cars have the rear tire pressure set higher than the front? Try setting them so they're all the same and see if that helps (even though it's probably not supposed to be set that way). You can always change it back later if it doesn't feel any different.

Quick Reply: possible causes of IS swerve above 65 mph