IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

swirls on wrapped car - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 08:12 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default swirls on wrapped car - possible?

I've read alot about how durable the 3M Scotchcal Wraps are and i'm just wondering if they suffer from swirl issues as conventional paints?
Old 02-02-11, 12:26 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna have to say that they probably are prone. Swirls happens when you push+move debris (dirt, dust, etc) across your clear coat which causes micro scratches (ie swirls from a circular motion). Even clear bra's are prone to swirls so I wouldn't see how wraps would be any different unless the surface is some crazy unscratchable plastic. Though how visible they are might be a different matter. I could be totally wrong though lol.
Old 02-02-11, 12:37 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there a way to prevent swirls while washing a car then?
Old 02-02-11, 01:12 PM
RDAVILA702
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusK
Is there a way to prevent swirls while washing a car then?
1. Use lots of soap - Soap acts like a lubricant to help wash away debris.

2. 2 Bucket Method - Use a Bucket of soapy water and one of clean water, after washing one panel with soapy water rinse the sponge in the clean water bucket before putting it back in soapy water. - This prevents debris from entering the soapy water bucket.-- I like to use a foam lance to get a nice THICK layer of foam.

3. Microfiber - Preferably with the least amount of polyester in them.

4. Dry with a vacuum or leaf blower - that way, if there is still debris on the paint, you don't rub it into the paint with the drying towel.

5. Stay away from the California Duster, it will only cause more swirling - Instead, use a quick detailing spray and a microfiber towel.

6. STAY AWAY FROM DRIVE THROUGH WASHES.
Old 02-02-11, 02:18 PM
ohiostate
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTiK
I'm gonna have to say that they probably are prone. Swirls happens when you push+move debris (dirt, dust, etc) across your clear coat which causes micro scratches (ie swirls from a circular motion). Even clear bra's are prone to swirls so I wouldn't see how wraps would be any different unless the surface is some crazy unscratchable plastic. Though how visible they are might be a different matter. I could be totally wrong though lol.
yep, and you can buff them out..

Originally Posted by RDAVILA702
1. Use lots of soap - Soap acts like a lubricant to help wash away debris.

2. 2 Bucket Method - Use a Bucket of soapy water and one of clean water, after washing one panel with soapy water rinse the sponge in the clean water bucket before putting it back in soapy water. - This prevents debris from entering the soapy water bucket.-- I like to use a foam lance to get a nice THICK layer of foam.

3. Microfiber - Preferably with the least amount of polyester in them.

4. Dry with a vacuum or leaf blower - that way, if there is still debris on the paint, you don't rub it into the paint with the drying towel.

5. Stay away from the California Duster, it will only cause more swirling - Instead, use a quick detailing spray and a microfiber towel.

6. STAY AWAY FROM DRIVE THROUGH WASHES.
All good points..

I use the two bucket wash method every time I was my car. Along with using a different sponge to do the bottom of the car and rims, along with using a squeegee to get the water off.

Because of these dumb swirls I spent an hour and half just buffing the hood, still have the rest of the car to do...
Old 02-02-11, 03:21 PM
quickmatch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a good website i found. http://www.paintcare-n-detailing.com It has good info on washing and waxing and stuff. Also a good place to buy wash and mitts and grit guards is http://www.detailedimage.com They are a vendor here and we do get a discount. I just got a new 2011 is 250 and there were swirl marks when i got it Also i do like the California duster for dusting my dash inside and for getting the dog hair of the leather.