IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM Satellite Receiver no longer available.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 10:22 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Whole thing strikes me as odd as Toyota usually has legendarily long availability of parts... (My wife was still able to get stuff for her Supra up through when she sold it last year, and that thing hadn't been made since long before there even was an IS)
The issue is that these parts are not factory parts. They're accessories. Accessories are the first things to be discontinued, followed by interior trim pieces.

The funny thing is, I bet the XM Tuner/wiring in the newer cars that have factory XM will probably be available for years and years to come. The parts these guys are looking for are accessories, and are doomed to an early grave. If you could figure out if the newer factory parts would work in the older cars (they very well might), then that might be an option, however generally speaking factory parts are a few times more expensive than accessories (priced to be added to the car, versus priced for replacement and long-term availability).

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-03-11 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-03-11, 10:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Given that XM was a factory option you could order with the car (it was in the car before the dealer touched it) I'm not sure how they're making the distinction of factory vs. accessory in your post...can you clarify? and are the newer ISes that come with XM standard getting it via some totally different hardware than the 06-09 cars did?
Old 02-03-11, 11:19 AM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a source that still have the receiver for sale brand new, but they don't have any fit kit left over like everyone.
Well since I want to go all OEM, I'm going to try to get it used, thanks everybody
Old 02-03-11, 01:03 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Given that XM was a factory option you could order with the car (it was in the car before the dealer touched it) I'm not sure how they're making the distinction of factory vs. accessory in your post...can you clarify? and are the newer ISes that come with XM standard getting it via some totally different hardware than the 06-09 cars did?
There are really 5 types of parts Toyota/Lexus offer for any given car.

1. Factory parts, these are the parts that are used AT the factory.
2. JPIO parts (Japan port installed options), these are parts installed after the car leaves the factory, but before it leaves Japan.
3. PIO parts (Port installed options), these are parts installed after the car gets to it's destination country but before it gets to the dealer (can be national or regional parts).
4. Dealer-installed accessories, these are parts installed at the dealer before or after the customer takes delivery.
5. Performance parts (TRD/F-Sport)

Within each category there are some further breakdowns, like for TRD, you've got regional TRD parts, like TRD USA "sport parts" which are usually just already available aftermarket kits, etc. that TRD rebrands, then you've got Toyota Technocraft (TRD Japan) parts, which are usually quite superior, and often built exclusively for TRD.

There are also some overlaps sometimes, like when Lexus offers a part both as PIO or as dealer installed, or you order a JPIO part to add after the fact, etc. People also frequently order factory parts from other grades/models/option packages and install them.

For example, the accessory spoiler for the 2IS is available at a cheap price, usually under $200. The factory spoiler used on the IS-F and F-Sport is around $500. What happens once the 2IS goes out of production? That accessory spoiler is going to go obsolete within a few years. The factory spoiler? You'll probably be able to buy that part for many more years to come.

Same goes for the "F-Sport" accessory wheels, those will probably be discontinued in a few years time, the "F-Sport Package" factory wheels on the other hand will be available for a long time.

Try to order some accessories for the Supra. Other than the floor mats (which were discontinued years ago, but were just reintroduced for the JZA80), you won't be able to get anything. It was all killed around 99-01. Factory parts? No worries for the most part. Most are still available unless they were rarely used.

Enough about that though, getting back on topic here, the 06-09 IS never came with factory XM. If you ordered it with XM and it wasn't dealer installed, it was port installed. 2010+ IS models have the XM receiver built into the head unit in the dash, there is no separate satellite receiver.

Jeff
Old 02-03-11, 01:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah, the PIO distinction is where the disconnect was... my XM receiver was in the car when the dealer received it, they didn't touch my car at all besides physically moving the thing off the truck. (I took possession with the paper still on the exterior and the plastic still on the seats, etc).

I hadn't realized Toyota discontinued even PIO parts long before the factory-factory parts... thanks for the info!
Old 02-03-11, 01:37 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

The nicest accessories, and Toyota/Lexus does do this sometimes, are the ones where they have an accessory which is a factory part. So you get it for the price of an accessory, but if you need to replace it later, it's the same part as was used from the factory. Not that common anymore, but it used to be more commonplace. Older A/C kits are a good example, they always just contained the same parts that were installed at the factory (though they usually had shorter lines with more connections, but in the EPC they would list both choices).

Jeff
Old 04-19-11, 05:09 PM
aceyou
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would the full kit be worth? or what would someone buy one for if he found one?
Old 10-21-11, 06:01 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you still selling will buy it now

Last edited by WIZARD1325; 10-22-11 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-21-11, 06:27 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

man this is signs that my car is getting out of date, i have a 07 with NO XM, i had always wanted to buy the unit its like $800 from lexus and install myself, i recall someone here had a nice DIY on how to do it. I do have my XM account with my acura TL 07, i always wanted to swap it over to my IS...oh well.
Old 10-21-11, 06:54 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

dang i got lucky with mine. the previous owner already had the factory one installed. i just bought a year subcription to sirusxm for a birthday gift to myself for 77 bucks. they wanted 199 but i told them i saw a deal online for 77. she said hold on while she talked to her manager, then she came back and said ok.
Old 10-21-11, 08:27 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the box and mounting bracket from my old car sitting in my garage I have been meaning to put up on ebay.

*****Box, bracket and harness are sold******* I have been getting PM's on it and I feel bad getting everyones hopes up.

Last edited by wednesday; 01-05-12 at 09:23 AM. Reason: equipment sold