IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS350 got stuck in the snow, now I'm really considering to trade it

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 11:23 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$600/month in profit from ad revenue alone is almost unheard of. Your typical, ho-hum "blog" with ads will give you maybe $5 to $20 per month, if even that.

I'm pretty impressed that a college student has the time to to blog/contribute enough to the tune of $7200/year in profit. Just out of curiosity, do you have any examples of your work?

I tried the whole "blogging for money" deal many years ago. Made a whopping $47 and change in the span of a year. I'm not complaining, of course, but for me it wasn't worth the time. I'd have been better off working minimum wage.

$7200/year though. Wow. That's really impressive.
Old 02-07-11, 05:42 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, don't know what to say. I can easily get through that amount of snow. And my car is slammed.
Old 02-07-11, 09:11 AM
Not Daniel
Rookie

I think the bottom line here is: Don't put all your hopes and dreams in a little sticker that says "AWD", because there are a lot more factors coming into play than that.

Everyone here keeps going on and on about how they don't get stuck and they have this that and the other -- I mean, that's great and all, but the OP is still having problems, regardless of what other peoples conditions are.

I think he just needs to get a better winter setup on his current car, or get a new car that'll handle the conditions better if it's just not cutting it for him. Do what works for you and move on.
Old 02-07-11, 09:21 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

get a 350AWD....
Old 02-07-11, 09:43 AM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we let this thread die?
Old 02-07-11, 04:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider a second vehicle, like a Jeep Wrangler (4wd w/AT tires).
Old 02-07-11, 06:13 PM
Immaterial
Driver School Candidate

I've been driving the rwd IS250, w/ blizzaks through chicago for the past few winters including the recent blizzard.

The car is fine, you just have to be able to handle it right. Shoveling your driveway before trying to get out might help.

Btw, dont get the 335xi because you think it'll handle better in the snow. My cousin had that car and borrowed my IS to drive around in the snow. The 335xi might get more starting traction in the snow, but all the extra weight makes it much harder to stop (which might be a problem, no?). Plus he's had like complete 3-4 engine failures from the stupid water pump issue. Which you def dont want your car to fail on you in the middle of the winter either right?
Old 02-07-11, 08:25 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by syzygy
$600/month in profit from ad revenue alone is almost unheard of. Your typical, ho-hum "blog" with ads will give you maybe $5 to $20 per month, if even that.

I'm pretty impressed that a college student has the time to to blog/contribute enough to the tune of $7200/year in profit. Just out of curiosity, do you have any examples of your work?

I tried the whole "blogging for money" deal many years ago. Made a whopping $47 and change in the span of a year. I'm not complaining, of course, but for me it wasn't worth the time. I'd have been better off working minimum wage.

$7200/year though. Wow. That's really impressive.
Well, there's multiple things I do online. I have maybe 30-35 domain names, which I use for blogging and for referring people to so called "GPT (Get Paid To) sites" where people can complete surveys for money. Here's a site that I refer people to that makes me about $5000/year: Points2Shop. So far, I've gotten 25,000 people to sign up. The rest of my income comes from blog sites with ads that are ranking on Google for popular searches with little website competition. I'm still looking for a job since blogging and stuff takes no time out of my day but it's hard finding one. I even applied to deliver pizzas for Pizza Hut in my IS350.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-07-11 at 08:31 PM. Reason: If you want to advertise you need to be a vendor
Old 02-07-11, 08:28 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
get a 350AWD....
My mechanic suggested me that since he upgraded from an IS350 RWD to 2011 IS350 AWD. He said it's worth it all, especially in the snow and that I'm lucky to have a button to turn off Traction Control. Turning off TC makes all the difference, that's how I got out of every situation I was stuck in.

Sadly, the IS350 is still new and expensive for me.
Old 02-07-11, 08:40 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Immaterial
I've been driving the rwd IS250, w/ blizzaks through chicago for the past few winters including the recent blizzard.

The car is fine, you just have to be able to handle it right. Shoveling your driveway before trying to get out might help.

Btw, dont get the 335xi because you think it'll handle better in the snow. My cousin had that car and borrowed my IS to drive around in the snow. The 335xi might get more starting traction in the snow, but all the extra weight makes it much harder to stop (which might be a problem, no?). Plus he's had like complete 3-4 engine failures from the stupid water pump issue. Which you def dont want your car to fail on you in the middle of the winter either right?
Starting traction is probably what I need. I get stuck in the ally often waiting for the door to open. When I let go of the brake, the car doesn't move and the rear wheels spin out at whatever speeds. That's when I need to get out, shovel any snow in the front and rear wheels, and then pour 5 pounds or so of salt around the rear tires to get traction. That usually does it with TC off.

I definitely know the 335xi is quite unreliable, but that is the car I've wanted until I saw the great price on my IS350. Those cars do have water pump and fuel pump issues often with cheap parts and the turbo. I'd figure I only make it worse doing the popular "JB3/JB4" mod chip that instantly gives the car an additional 100 RWHP. That might ruin the fuel pump even faster.

I'm probably going to deal with my IS350. Save up the next years until the 335xi or Range Rover Sport becomes cheaper and get either one for the winter.
Old 02-07-11, 08:45 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

chi123,

I heard the BMWs (from my co-worker who owns M3), that the subframe still fails over time even thou they supposedly addressed these issues. In his case he did not get his car for "status"; He purchased the car for racing purposes as he mainly uses it on the track (with racing licence). He knows what to expect out of the car and what it takes to maintain the vehicle.

Last edited by Sango; 02-07-11 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-07-11, 08:58 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
chi123,

I heard the BMWs (from my co-worker who owns M3), that the subframe still fails over time even thou they supposedly addressed these issues. In his case he did not get his car for "status"; He purchased the car for racing purposes as he mainly uses it on the track (with racing licence). He knows what to expect out of the car and what it takes to maintain the vehicle.
That's new to me, never heard of that one before. Lots of kids at my school have the older BMW 3 Series (E46) models and one with an older 5 Series. They said their cars are pretty reliable for daily driving. I always thought that BMWs were built well and the things on them that fail are the "extras" like options, plastic pumps, window regulators, and that stuff. Didn't think the subframe would fail.
Old 02-07-11, 09:00 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Well, there's multiple things I do online. I have maybe 30-35 domain names, which I use for blogging and for referring people to so called "GPT (Get Paid To) sites" where people can complete surveys for money. Here's a site that I refer people to that makes me about $5000/year: Points2Shop. So far, I've gotten 25,000 people to sign up. The rest of my income comes from blog sites with ads that are ranking on Google for popular searches with little website competition. I'm still looking for a job since blogging and stuff takes no time out of my day but it's hard finding one. I even applied to deliver pizzas for Pizza Hut in my IS350.
Man, I can't even imagine doing that with my IS350. Every time I order a pizza to go (pick up), I'll put the pizza in the trunk. I like trying to maintain the "new car"/leather smell as much as possible.

Most of the pizza delivery guys around these parts have the stereotypical old civic hatchback as a delivery car (that or an old truck of some sort). Never seen a pizza delivery guy drive up in a luxury sports car.
Old 02-07-11, 09:07 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by syzygy
Man, I can't even imagine doing that with my IS350. Every time I order a pizza to go (pick up), I'll put the pizza in the trunk. I like trying to maintain the "new car"/leather smell as much as possible.

Most of the pizza delivery guys around these parts have the stereotypical old civic hatchback as a delivery car (that or an old truck of some sort). Never seen a pizza delivery guy drive up in a luxury sports car.
Yup, that's exactly how it's like where I'm at. Last time I ordered fast food for delivery, it's some guy in his 20s with a 1990s Civic with a loud muffler. I do the same thing as you, any food I order goes into the trunk. Food inside usually starts to smell bad and messes up the leather. Anyways, they deliver with that thing that keeps the pizza warm so there's really no smell or anything.
Old 02-07-11, 09:08 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
That's new to me, never heard of that one before. Lots of kids at my school have the older BMW 3 Series (E46) models and one with an older 5 Series. They said their cars are pretty reliable for daily driving. I always thought that BMWs were built well and the things on them that fail are the "extras" like options, plastic pumps, window regulators, and that stuff. Didn't think the subframe would fail.
The sub frame failure or recall - if you look on the google, you can find more about it. I remember hearing this on the news a few years ago and was surprised when my co-worker told me it still happens up to this day.

Just make sure you're under warranty for BMW or else you willing to pay $$$. As my co-worker has, he has spent a good amount of money repairing using his car from the track as parts fail. He is actually planning to get a new one to replace his old one which he gotten a few years ago and saving up for it.

He just bought a new Ford diesel truck just recently because of a "freak bug" as he calls it to his old truck too, since it was the injectors (I think that is what he said) went bleh!. Mainly uses it to pull his boat.

Last edited by Sango; 02-07-11 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: My IS350 got stuck in the snow, now I'm really considering to trade it