IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Changing flappy paddle timing, is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 11:45 PM
dasmokedog
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
No the paddles arent true gear selectors BUT hit a tight twisty mountain road, they work just fine, you gotta know how to work them and plan for the shifts...
Thats true. The main thing I use them for is engine braking. My commute to work is 15 miles of I-5 and unlike most other people I rarely use the brakes in the heaviest of traffic.
Old 02-05-11, 03:12 AM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha you said flappy paddle
Old 02-06-11, 05:32 PM
MSirJet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use sport mode all the time also, even when not using the flappy paddles or gear selector. I like the fact that for driving around town in sport mode 4th gear is selected (unless you select a higher gear of-course) and the car isn't in 5/6th gear doing 30mph. In sporty mode I like to use the paddle shift to keep a gear and for downshifting. Lifting slightly (the throttle) between shifts and getting back on it gives a cool exhaust note. I would also like to quicken up the shift response gear change as well. A friend says computer shift points and speed (by increasing the hydraulic shift pressure) can be done on other cars with a automotive diag program and re-flashing the ECU. Anyone know about an application for the Lexus? And before you ISF and Manual guys chime in, I already have a Porsche track car and don't want a clutch! for this everyday driver!
Old 02-06-11, 06:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MSirJet
I use sport mode all the time also, even when not using the flappy paddles or gear selector. I like the fact that for driving around town in sport mode 4th gear is selected (unless you select a higher gear of-course) and the car isn't in 5/6th gear doing 30mph. In sporty mode I like to use the paddle shift to keep a gear and for downshifting. Lifting slightly (the throttle) between shifts and getting back on it gives a cool exhaust note. I would also like to quicken up the shift response gear change as well. A friend says computer shift points and speed (by increasing the hydraulic shift pressure) can be done on other cars with a automotive diag program and re-flashing the ECU. Anyone know about an application for the Lexus? And before you ISF and Manual guys chime in, I already have a Porsche track car and don't want a clutch! for this everyday driver!
Again- the paddles aren't shifters.

Since they don't even do what you want them to in the first place, asking how to make them do the thing they don't at all do faster makes no sense.

If you want faster shifts in a performance sense leave it in D.

The only thing you're doing in S mode is slowing the transmission down by adding a delay before the FULLY AUTOMATIC transmission is allowed to use the additional gear (or notice a locked out gear, depending which way you go) that you selected with the paddle.

(FYI- the F doesn't have a clutch pedal, but does allow direct shifting of gears...and it shifts a ton faster than anything that does have a clutch pedal)

Originally Posted by dasmokedog
Thats true. The main thing I use them for is engine braking. My commute to work is 15 miles of I-5 and unlike most other people I rarely use the brakes in the heaviest of traffic.
If you plan to get rid of the car after 50 or 60k miles that's fine.

Otherwise I'd suggest you reverse course on doing that... brakes are a lot cheaper to replace than powertrain components.

Originally Posted by CleverName
So let me add a question to this post:
Is our 6sp common to other Toyota models or exclusive to Lex?
Just curious, as Levelten has kits for several Toyota's.

V
The 250 and 350 use different transmissions

The 350 uses the A760E, which is also used in the Lexus GS350 and the newer 4.6L Toyota Tundra/Sequoia

The 250 AWD uses the A760H which is also used in the Lexus GS350 AWD

The 250 RWD uses the A960E which was used in the 06 GS300

levelten doesn't appear to offer anything for any of these...

These guys offer a built A760E for a mere $4775-
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/a750e.shtml

Once again, an F seems to make a ton more sense.

EDIT- a bit more searching on same site finds this:
http://www.importperformancetrans.co...here-1964.html

So for just $738 and the removed valve body from your car they'll send you back a modified valve body to act as a shift kit.

Maybe someone else out of warranty wants to be a guinea pig for this?

(it won't do jack for the paddles mind you, since they're still not shifters)

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-06-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-06-11, 07:41 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz

EDIT- a bit more searching on same site finds this:
http://www.importperformancetrans.co...here-1964.html

So for just $738 and the removed valve body from your car they'll send you back a modified valve body to act as a shift kit.

Maybe someone else out of warranty wants to be a guinea pig for this?

(it won't do jack for the paddles mind you, since they're still not shifters)
My understanding of the levelten mods is to open up the passages on the valvebody, and up the line pressures to take advantage of it. Suppose to speed up the shift times by a "measurable" amount (according to those on Mitsu forums that have had it done).

Would love to see someone here try the re-valving and let us know.

Side note: Also saw an article in the Feb. issue of Options magazine where they are doing a 6sp MT install to a 350. Was going to scan it and see if we have any Japanese reading members here to offer translation...

Vince
Old 02-07-11, 05:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
My understanding of the levelten mods is to open up the passages on the valvebody, and up the line pressures to take advantage of it. Suppose to speed up the shift times by a "measurable" amount (according to those on Mitsu forums that have had it done).

Would love to see someone here try the re-valving and let us know.

Side note: Also saw an article in the Feb. issue of Options magazine where they are doing a 6sp MT install to a 350. Was going to scan it and see if we have any Japanese reading members here to offer translation...

Vince
I'd be pretty curious to know how they're getting around the issue of the ECU freaking the hell out when the transmission it's expecting to control/talk to isn't there.