IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My ML Sub has to be replaced.....for the fourth time

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 07:03 PM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
Do you have any recommendations of products that maintain the balance of the ML system without taking up additional trunk space?

Personally, I'm not a thumper, and the one thing I do like about the ML system is it has pretty good balance. If there was an OEM-like alternative, I might be game.

P.S. Feel free to PM me with some tips on Maui ;-) I'll be there sometime in May. :-)
Same here, is there any sub that I can put in place of the ML, I'd perfer to not have to do a whole lot of re-wiring or lose trunk space.
Old 02-07-11, 08:12 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

this has me wondering if i shud get the ML package
Old 02-07-11, 10:51 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Is there a recommended direct aftermarket swap for the 8" ML sub? I couldn't find anything on search.
Old 02-07-11, 11:03 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread might be of interest to you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...x-is-back.html Pair that with a JL 12w6v2 and 500/1 amp and you're good to go.
Old 02-07-11, 11:39 PM
rob stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
This thread might be of interest to you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...x-is-back.html Pair that with a JL 12w6v2 and 500/1 amp and you're good to go.
Thanks, but I already saw that thread.

I'm looking for an aftermarket 8" sub that will fit the ML sub enclosure that has a compatible impedance and is a direct drop-in swap.

Am I living in a fantasy world here?
Old 02-07-11, 11:56 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ Pretty much. The mounting depth is extremely shallow - Lexus designed the best sub they could for that tight space. Unfortunately, it is very susceptible to blowing out. Even if there was a direct swap, free air subs in general suck.
Old 02-08-11, 12:04 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

brociouz, it's more like Lexus worked with ML to have a sub that could work with the car, the implementation would go back to ML/HK since they manufactured the product. If they are not aware of it, they need to be contacted so they could work with Lexus to have it addressed.
Old 02-08-11, 04:07 AM
Henesy
Driver School Candidate

I have blown my ML sub twice already and feel like its not if but when this one will go. I have been looking into the JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3. It's only 5 inches deep, so it won't take up much trunk space, and I trust JL Audio.
Old 02-11-11, 10:26 AM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

So my car is being looked at by the shop foreman at the lexus dealer right now to see if its me or the sub. Any tips on good rebuttals if they say its me? I don't really see what kind of diagnostic they could do to prove that.
Old 02-11-11, 01:06 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cpachicka
So my car is being looked at by the shop foreman at the lexus dealer right now to see if its me or the sub. Any tips on good rebuttals if they say its me? I don't really see what kind of diagnostic they could do to prove that.
I can't think of anything. I would just reiterate your stance that you don't listen to music very loud, and that there are people on the Internet that have complained about the same problem. I would then tell them you would be open to alternatives (to which they'll probably have no response).

Good luck!
Old 02-11-11, 05:56 PM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

So I just heard from the Lexus dealer. They can't determine if the sub is blown so they are keeping my car over the weekend to tear it apart. However they did say that if it is blown its due to the fact that the Mark Levinson system is only meant for classical and jazz music and that is not what I'm playing (how they determined that I don't listen to classical or jazz music, I can't figure out), and that the lexus warranty does not cover the sub blowing due to listening to the wrong genre of music. They suggested I go to a car audio store and get a pioneer system put in if I want to listen to heavy bass (again I don't know how they determined that I wanted to be able to listen to music with heavy bass).

Clearly, I'm pissed. I already called Lexus corporate and they said that it is up to the dealers to determine what is covered under warranty, and that if the dealer refuses to replace it, they can get involved if I would like. The lady I spoke with thought that the claim that they were making about the genre of music being the cause was pretty baseless.

So who knows what's going to happen now. It doesn't say in the owner's manual that I'm supposed to listen to only a certain type of music, and they failed to mention to me the other times that my sub blew that I was only supposed to listen to a certain kind of music. Is it really fair for them to say that this is my fault?
Old 02-11-11, 06:43 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell them you only listen to classical music.

If they are going to bull**** you like that I would bull**** them right back!

Make sure you don't have any techno cd's in the player though.

At this point they are flat out lying to you.

Find websites and threads about the sub blowing..... print them ALL out, if you can find 50 of them, print all 50 of them out! Bring it to them and if they still refuse call up lexus corp right there in their shop.
Old 02-11-11, 08:53 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

So I just heard from the Lexus dealer. They can't determine if the sub is blown so they are keeping my car over the weekend to tear it apart. However they did say that if it is blown its due to the fact that the Mark Levinson system is only meant for classical and jazz music and that is not what I'm playing (how they determined that I don't listen to classical or jazz music, I can't figure out), and that the lexus warranty does not cover the sub blowing due to listening to the wrong genre of music. They suggested I go to a car audio store and get a pioneer system put in if I want to listen to heavy bass (again I don't know how they determined that I wanted to be able to listen to music with heavy bass).

Clearly, I'm pissed. I already called Lexus corporate and they said that it is up to the dealers to determine what is covered under warranty, and that if the dealer refuses to replace it, they can get involved if I would like. The lady I spoke with thought that the claim that they were making about the genre of music being the cause was pretty baseless.

So who knows what's going to happen now. It doesn't say in the owner's manual that I'm supposed to listen to only a certain type of music, and they failed to mention to me the other times that my sub blew that I was only supposed to listen to a certain kind of music. Is it really fair for them to say that this is my fault?
I can understand them dismissing a claim because it was caused by the driver/user, but saying that the system is only "meant for classical and jazz music" is absurd. Clearly there is no disclaimer on the stereo that says "for classical or jazz music only".

I guess I'm a little confused why this is such an issue; I understand repeat visits for the same issue raises flags, but I'm under the impression dealerships get reimbursed for warranty work. Why is it some dealerships seem to be knowledgeable and easily perform warranty work and other dealerships you have to fight with?

Interesting perspective here: http://www.acarplace.com/problems/dealers.html
Old 02-12-11, 11:20 AM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jmags
Tell them you only listen to classical music.

If they are going to bull**** you like that I would bull**** them right back!

Make sure you don't have any techno cd's in the player though.

At this point they are flat out lying to you.

Find websites and threads about the sub blowing..... print them ALL out, if you can find 50 of them, print all 50 of them out! Bring it to them and if they still refuse call up lexus corp right there in their shop.
Originally Posted by rebs
I can understand them dismissing a claim because it was caused by the driver/user, but saying that the system is only "meant for classical and jazz music" is absurd. Clearly there is no disclaimer on the stereo that says "for classical or jazz music only".

I guess I'm a little confused why this is such an issue; I understand repeat visits for the same issue raises flags, but I'm under the impression dealerships get reimbursed for warranty work. Why is it some dealerships seem to be knowledgeable and easily perform warranty work and other dealerships you have to fight with?

Interesting perspective here: http://www.acarplace.com/problems/dealers.html
I just re read the navigation and owners manuals(online since the dealer lost my manual) and I don't see a thing in there about limitations on volume and music type. The only thing that worries me is that I read that my warranty does not cover misuse but it doesn't give a definition of what is considered misuse.

I think I'll take jmags advice and the info I read from the acarplace article and offer to call lexus while I'm sitting there on Monday if they still keep this up.

I think I left Kanye West's newest CD in my CD Player before I dropped the car off, however I think would kind of ridiculous if their proof of what kind of music I listen to regularly is based on the CD I had in when I dropped it off.

I really almost kind of feel like they are insulting my intelligence by giving me such a bogus diagnosis and thinking that I'm just going to take it.
Old 02-12-11, 12:19 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

This is the most ridiculous dealership story I have ever heard. WTF!?

Quick Reply: My ML Sub has to be replaced.....for the fourth time