My ML Sub has to be replaced.....for the fourth time

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-11, 06:11 AM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My ML Sub has to be replaced.....for the fourth time

Hello all,

I have a 2007 IS350(which I've owned since 2008), and I have had to have the sub replaced about once a year like clockwork. I had this sub replaced most recently in December 2010, and now it has blown again. I'm under the 1 year parts warranty and I have the Lexus Platinum Extended warranty but my dealership is refusing to replace it, arguing that I am the one that is causing it.

However, clearly I take issue with this argument. Every single time I have had this issue I asked them if there was anything I could be doing to cause this (i.e. playing it too loud, having the bass up too much) and they said no, the last time I had it replaced I even had my service adviser set my audio settings for me and I've avoided turning the volume up above 25. I noticed on my receipt that they wrote that it was blown due to playing at an excessive volume, and they can't even explain to me how they came to that conclusion.

Has anybody had this much trouble with the ML sub? What are my options? Can I replace this sub with an aftermarket one without causing any warranty issues down the line?

Any advice would be awesome. I've about had it with dealing with the people at the dealership.
Old 02-06-11, 07:37 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All I can say is that "25" is not an excessive volume. I regularly play my music at 35+ with the bass all the way up on my stock non-ML sub. No issues whatsoever.

Perhaps it is time for an aftermarket system. It will not affect the warranty on the rest of the vehicle.
Old 02-06-11, 08:19 AM
texas02118
Driver

I play music really loud at 40 and above with pretty heavy bass and the subwoofer is fine. I guess you are just unlucky!
Old 02-06-11, 08:26 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get an aftermarket 12" sub and you can bump all day!
Old 02-06-11, 08:32 AM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm starting to think I am just really unlucky. Good thing I'm not a big gambler lol. I'm more so just annoyed by how the dealer has been handling the situation. I feel like because I'm young and female they never take any of my concerns very seriously and are often very condescending towards me.

I've wanted to just switch this thing out for an aftermarket one for a while now. Anybody have any suggestions on a aftermarket sub that I could just drop in place of the ML sub? I really don't want to have a box in my trunk or have to get a new amp etc.

Also, does anybody know if they can flat out refuse to replace it when I'm under warranty? Especially since they really have no way of proving that I somehow keep damaging the sub.

Last edited by cpachicka; 02-06-11 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-06-11, 09:39 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cpachicka
Yeah, I'm starting to think I am just really unlucky. Good thing I'm not a big gambler lol. I'm more so just annoyed by how the dealer has been handling the situation. I feel like because I'm young and female they never take any of my concerns very seriously and are often very condescending towards me.

I've wanted to just switch this thing out for an aftermarket one for a while now. Anybody have any suggestions on a aftermarket sub that I could just drop in place of the ML sub? I really don't want to have a box in my trunk or have to get a new amp etc.

Also, does anybody know if they can flat out refuse to replace it when I'm under warranty? Especially since they really have no way of proving that I somehow keep damaging the sub.
I would contact lexus corp. and ask them dealers seem to change their minds when they get emails from higher ups.
Old 02-06-11, 09:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They can do whatever they wish regarding replacing it.

Likewise, you can sue them for breach of contract.

I'd probably try calling Lexus corporate and doing some BBB saber rattling before that though.
Old 02-06-11, 10:00 AM
Duke02
Driver

Unfortunately, you are probably right. They are trying to push you around to get you to pay for it. Knowing what I've heard about Toyota dealership practices over the years, it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to get you to pay for it AND submitting it to corporate as warranty work for double pay. Not sure if that's possible, but like I said, wouldn't surprise me.

Like most bullies, assertiveness goes a long way (not that you're not being assertive) as does a large boisterous male friend. To deny a warranty claim, I believe they have to demonstrate that it was in fact user error/abuse that caused it although in a civil suit, I believe the plaintiff has to show a preponderance of evidence in their favor. No harm in scaring them with the threat of taking them to small claims court. Odds are, they'd rather just cover the repair than deal with the hassle, especially if you show you're willing to fight.

Either way, it would not hurt to press the case with lexus corporate, BBB, and depending on how much time/anger you have, the local media. Just make sure you go to the BBB before you file anything in the courts. Once it's in court, the BBB won't touch it.
Old 02-06-11, 10:14 AM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on calling Lexus corporate first thing tomorrow morning and giving them a piece of my mind. The dealer has graciously offered me the opportunity to come in at 7am on Tuesday to have the service manager do a "in-depth" diagnostic on the sub to determine whether its the car or me, but I don't know that I even want to waste my time doing that since I kind of already know how it will play out.

I would just go to the other dealer in town but they would probably treat me even worse. Between this, the recalls, and the awful service at the dealerships I'm kind of over Lexus, but I love my baby so I'm going to stick with her and try to get all this resolved.
Old 02-06-11, 10:34 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

If you are sure that you didn't overly blast the radio... I would let them take a look at it... it really could be your car.
Old 02-06-11, 11:02 AM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure I didn't overly blast the radio. I normally keep it at/below 25, unless I have my ipod plugged into the AUX then it hovers between 25-35(I don't have the volume on my ipod turned up all the way). Considering the max volume is 60 I wouldn't consider those volumes to be really loud but I could be wrong.

The other thing I found weird was that this sub blew so quickly, I got it in early December, and I first noticed it sounding weird around the middle of January. I haven't even been driving much at all due to the snow/ice we've been getting. My car is outside most of the time, is it possible that the extreme cold/change in temperature could have caused it?
Old 02-06-11, 11:21 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure I didn't overly blast the radio. I normally keep it at/below 25, unless I have my ipod plugged into the AUX then it hovers between 25-35(I don't have the volume on my ipod turned up all the way). Considering the max volume is 60 I wouldn't consider those volumes to be really loud but I could be wrong.

The other thing I found weird was that this sub blew so quickly, I got it in early December, and I first noticed it sounding weird around the middle of January. I haven't even been driving much at all due to the snow/ice we've been getting. My car is outside most of the time, is it possible that the extreme cold/change in temperature could have caused it?
No. Mine is fine and it's been 0 here a few days...

I'd look more for a wiring problem
Old 02-06-11, 11:24 AM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

I'm about to go in for my fourth sub too =(
Old 02-06-11, 11:40 AM
Duke02
Driver

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on calling Lexus corporate first thing tomorrow morning and giving them a piece of my mind. The dealer has graciously offered me the opportunity to come in at 7am on Tuesday to have the service manager do a "in-depth" diagnostic on the sub to determine whether its the car or me, but I don't know that I even want to waste my time doing that since I kind of already know how it will play out.

I would just go to the other dealer in town but they would probably treat me even worse. Between this, the recalls, and the awful service at the dealerships I'm kind of over Lexus, but I love my baby so I'm going to stick with her and try to get all this resolved.
A little advice that you can certainly choose to ignore if you want. When you call lexus corporate, I would start off describing the situation and how you are frustrated and looking for someone to help you rather than telling them how angry you are. Essentially, play the assertive but reasonable victim not the aggressor. Don't need to be meek, but don't be foaming at the mouth.

Otherwise, they may dismiss you as a crank and give the benefit of the doubt to the dealer. You can always go angrier as the process progresses, but if you start there, you may hit a brick wall.

Just my experience over time.
Old 02-06-11, 11:43 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What type of music do you play? And is it mostly encoded mp3/mp4's? or regular cd's? Perhaps the recordings have a lot of dirty bass (low file quality) causing the sub to blow. 4 times would make me suspicious, so i don't blame the dealer for pushing back a bit (although i think you should get the work done under warranty and the dealer should let up).

Quick Reply: My ML Sub has to be replaced.....for the fourth time