IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

baking headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 04:56 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baking headlight question

I blacked out my headlight housings a couple of months ago and my left headlight has some condensation issues. I want to rebake the headlight so i can re-seal it, but i was afraid to do that because there is still some water condensation in the headlight itself and was thinking while the light was baking, that it would damage the light, or maybe even the plastic housing itself. Is this true? I just don't wanna damage my.light because of the little water droplets in the headlight. The condensation is really annoying and has not dried fully yet and it has been a couple of days already. I just want to re-seal them already. please help!!
Old 02-08-11, 09:33 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

You're fine. Droplets turn to steam and dry out when you open them up again. Had the exact same thing happen on my motorbike after baking. Use some more sealant though when you put 'em back together.
Old 02-08-11, 09:59 PM
XxFLASHxX
Driver School Candidate

go ahead and rebake them... won't hurt it at all. i blacked mine out a couple weeks ago, when i put them back together i put the lens in place on the housing, baked it, and it started to settle in place on its own, then just pressed it fully into place once i took them out. there's no real need for additional sealant, there's plenty on them already. i baked at 200 degrees for 10 mins.
Old 02-08-11, 11:18 PM
ShaunBhere
Rookie

You do not need extra sealant when putting headlights back together.

Have you removed the rubber from the back of the headlights where the bulb is or removed the plastic plate? I can't remember which it is on the lexus. I have done 100-150 headlights and generally, headlight condensation is caused by putting the bulbs and everything back in while the lights are still hot/warm after baking them to close them up.

If you do think it's the seal, you can usually just put the light back in the oven for about 15 minutes and then make sure the seal is good. Did you clamp the light shut while it was cooling down? If you did, you should have a good seal.
Old 02-08-11, 11:21 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunBhere
You do not need extra sealant when putting headlights back together.

Have you removed the rubber from the back of the headlights where the bulb is or removed the plastic plate? I can't remember which it is on the lexus. I have done 100-150 headlights and generally, headlight condensation is caused by putting the bulbs and everything back in while the lights are still hot/warm after baking them to close them up.

If you do think it's the seal, you can usually just put the light back in the oven for about 15 minutes and then make sure the seal is good. Did you clamp the light shut while it was cooling down? If you did, you should have a good seal.
It won't hurt to put extra silicone after the headlights cooled down.
Old 02-09-11, 09:06 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Thanks for the help, at first i thought no one was gonna reply. Lol. Im just gonna bake them and put just a little extra sealant to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 04-06-11, 09:17 AM
amiehe
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a DIY for doing this mod?
Old 04-06-11, 10:28 AM
bforbrian
Pole Position

Rebake them and if you're still worried, use a heat gun, which allows you to focus heat at specific areas of the headlight rather than an even distribution (oven). I do find that the oven is more convenient since you can just pry it apart in one shot but a lot of the qualms and worries people have with the oven are eliminated by using the heat gun.
Old 04-12-11, 11:09 AM
khpark928
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amiehe
Does anyone have a DIY for doing this mod?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eadlights.html