IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lexus is vs. bmw 3 series coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 09:30 PM
Grazy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnlexus
Also the IS 2 doors are out of my price range...
i want to see a 2 door IS.
Old 02-08-11, 09:33 PM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I bought my IS250AWD, I test drove some 3-series xi. The leather of the BMW was beautiful. The interior was overall nice, but I didn't like the dash. Even though the BMW didn't have Navi and the IS I bought did, I just couldn't stand the way everything was laid out in the BMW. Performance was nice. But I felt the steering in the IS was a bit more firm. With 5+ year old cars, I think the more important factor is the price and condition of the particular car you have. BMWs can have "a lot" of issues as a brand. But what if the previous owner took very good care of it, only drove it on the weekends at the speed limit, while the IS owner never changed the oil?
Old 02-08-11, 09:34 PM
willfxp
Driver

Originally Posted by Grazy

IS C?

10char
Old 02-08-11, 09:40 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

heres another, "Big Money Wasted"

id get the 335 over an is250 but for now, the is350 over any BMW.... costly repairs are a killer. i own a mercedes and it has its problems, so far, nothing too big. *knock on wood*
Old 02-08-11, 09:48 PM
BlackFish8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by funnie
my friend calls BMW, "Breaking My Wallet" cause he had to shell out big bucks when he car required repairs. Just something to think about.

They are more sportier type of cars though. Test drive them both of them to get a good feel of the two different cars.
That friend is me. I used to drive a 5 series (e39)... It seriously broke my wallet. Glad I was able to sell it!

Great driving experience as mentioned by others... but reliability after the warranty period
Old 02-08-11, 09:52 PM
XxFLASHxX
Driver School Candidate

I went from several euro cars to Lexus and haven't looked back. my latest was a A4 Quattro and had nothing but problems with it. i'm assuming BMW's are the same way being that they are both built for the driving experience like others have stated before. Although fun to drive, it doesn't outweight the cost of repairs IMO
Old 02-08-11, 09:56 PM
BlackFish8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by crazybuggy
heres another, "Big Money Wasted"

id get the 335 over an is250 but for now, the is350 over any BMW.... costly repairs are a killer. i own a mercedes and it has its problems, so far, nothing too big. *knock on wood*
My mechanic always used to call my bimmer "Big Mouth Woman" .... interpret that as you like... I always thought it was funny. Hope it doesn't offend the women on CL

Stay with the Lex
Old 02-08-11, 10:58 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I really like the 335, not just its potential with a tune and aftermarket parts, but it's a nice feeling sitting driver side. I'll agree with willfxp- I really wasn't fond of the dash or how the center cluster was built. But it is a great ride. That being said, it will be out of warranty if you decide to get it. If that's not a problem for you, then I'd say go with it. Othewise, the Lexus for long term reliability and less hassle to deal with when it comes to unforeseeable maintenance. Best of luck either way!
Old 02-09-11, 09:56 AM
shawnlexus
Driver

Ya i think i will stick with the Lexus, haha just really like the beemer body style. I guess all in all you cannot go wrong with Lexus.
Old 02-09-11, 09:58 AM
shawnlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Grazy
Sure hope you are being sarcastic
Old 02-09-11, 10:02 AM
willfxp
Driver

Ya i think i will stick with the Lexus, haha just really like the beemer body style. I guess all in all you cannot go wrong with Lexus.
Ask your question in a BMW forum and see what kind of responses you get?
Old 02-09-11, 11:45 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^
No doubt... just make sure you don't say that you're looking at an '06 335. They'll eat that up, as a previous poster did accurately state that the 335 wasn't on the product line until MY2007. Prior to that, the 2006 4-dr 330i was a pretty much identical-looking sibling to it's 2007 version, except for the twin exhaust on the left side vs. dual single pipes on each side. I actually pondered buying the 335 (or possibly a low mileage 330) prior to getting my IS350 - because I LOVED the smoothness of my IS300's inline 3.0 6-cyl. Still, I am now glad that I did what I di and have ZERO regrets!!

My vote is to go with the '06 IS350, but obviously I'm biased!
Old 02-09-11, 12:34 PM
Grazy
Driver

Sure hope you are being sarcastic
well not the C version. =)
Old 02-09-11, 12:57 PM
pratik_10
Pole Position

man i was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. i decided to get the is to save some money and you see less of them where i live compared to the 3 series. my friend has a 3 and it is constantly in the shop. He is looking into getting a new because of the repairs
Old 02-09-11, 01:13 PM
tardorange
Driver

If the car is CPO I would not worry about anything you would have a 6 year/100k warranty.

335i>ISXXX all day everyday. No comparsion. The N54 turbo engine is pretty reliable the only problem is the HPFP and you are covered 10 years/120k for that. The amount of tuning options for the N54 are overwhelming. From stock the 335i>ISXXX if you chip the engine then it will >M3/M5/ISF. Driving experience is like apples to oranges when comparing a BMW to a Lexus.

Reliability is not bad for BMW its just earned a bad rep from people that just speak negative of german cars. I own 2 Lexus and 2 BMW and my BMW are more reliable then my Lexus and cost far less to maintain. The key is if you go to the dealership to get your out of warranty car serviced then you will pay big time. Find a small indy shop and you will be set. Things such as oil you can do yourself for a fraction of what the dealer charges.

Quick Reply: lexus is vs. bmw 3 series coupe