IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Valve Recall Problems - BE AWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 04:15 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Valve Recall Problems - BE AWARE!

Hi,

I recently got the Valve Recall done on my 2007 IS350. The car only has 35k miles on it. Ever since I got the recall done, my car's engine has been idling very strange and is not driving correctly. The engine RPM's are idling very high at times, without touching the accelerator pedal, and at other times, the RPM's are dropping to near 300RPM's (feels like its going to stall). About a block before reaching the dealer, the car began to lunge forward while breaking, and only does it when downshifting to 2nd or 1st gear....very rough downshifts. The technician at the dealer took the car for a ride, and said, he didn't notice anything wrong....but then, I requested to go with the tech to replicate the problem, and WAS ABLE to replicate the problem. The car is at the dealer now, and no word yet as to what the problem could be. Btw, this is not the first i've heard of this happening. Technician said, this sounds like it might be a transmission problem. For those of you thinking about doing this recall, really take some time to think about the pros and cons. I mean, yeah, they will give you a gift card or something, but is that worth the risk of having a car drive like ***** for the remainder of its life without the dealer knowing whats wrong? All i know is, im not driving the car from the dealers lot without this being resolved.

* * * UPDATE * * *

The shifting problem has returned, and now the car is making the rattling sound at start-up, again!!! I already had the rattling-startup TSB done last year, and the Valve Recall done last month....WTF is going on man? I am calling the dealer tomorrow....and if they give me any crap, I am going to get Lexus Corporate involved. This is unacceptable!!!

Last edited by LexIS007; 02-27-11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-10-11, 04:28 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

but there's no direct collation between the valve springs to the transmission?
Old 02-10-11, 04:34 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

was yours man. or automatic? I was about to take my car in to get this done. When is the cut off for the gift cards?
Old 02-10-11, 04:35 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i had the valve spring recall performed on my 2006 2is back in november, and i have not had any issues with the engine or transmission at idle or under load.

to the OP, i think it's too soon to try and draw a connection between the valve spring recall repair that was performed on your 2is and the ham-fisted shifting that now plagues it. just going off your post - and without going into too much speculation, i'd say that something wasn't put back properly, causing the engine to behave in such manner.

regardless, keep us updated as to exactly what happened. hope it gets taken care of.
Old 02-10-11, 04:37 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
was yours man. or automatic? I was about to take my car in to get this done. When is the cut off for the gift cards?
there's no manual transmission-equipped is350's.
Old 02-10-11, 04:38 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Same here no issue since oct. and valve spring has nothang to do with the tranny. The don't even touch that on the recall.
Old 02-10-11, 04:49 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had mine done in november with no issues at all.
Old 02-10-11, 05:05 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

was this an issues with the is250s? or just the 350s?
Old 02-10-11, 05:15 PM
supra06
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same problem. I noticed it after I got my valve recall done and I thought it was just me but after reading this it may have to do something with the recall
Old 02-10-11, 05:26 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
was this an issues with the is250s? or just the 350s?
Only the 350's.

Jeff
Old 02-10-11, 06:07 PM
Peaches79
Rookie

I have this problem but ONLY when the car is very cold..its fine once it warms up.I had my recall work done 3 weeks after the recall came out...ever since then, however, I sometimes smell something really hot..almost like what a tire smells like when it blows out..its really odd and its not all the time..not sure if it's related or not..anyone else have this issue?
Old 02-10-11, 06:13 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

theres no direct correlation between the two
Old 02-10-11, 06:14 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Hi,

I recently got the Valve Recall done on my 2007 IS350. The car only has 35k miles on it. Ever since I got the recall done, my car's engine has been idling very strange and is not driving correctly. The engine RPM's are idling very high at times, without touching the accelerator pedal, and at other times, the RPM's are dropping to near 300RPM's (feels like its going to stall). About a block before reaching the dealer, the car began to lunge forward while breaking, and only does it when downshifting to 2nd or 1st gear....very rough downshifts. The technician at the dealer took the car for a ride, and said, he didn't notice anything wrong....but then, I requested to go with the tech to replicate the problem, and WAS ABLE to replicate the problem. The car is at the dealer now, and no word yet as to what the problem could be. Btw, this is not the first i've heard of this happening. Technician said, this sounds like it might be a transmission problem. For those of you thinking about doing this recall, really take some time to think about the pros and cons. I mean, yeah, they will give you a gift card or something, but is that worth the risk of having a car drive like ***** for the remainder of its life without the dealer knowing whats wrong? All i know is, im not driving the car from the dealers lot without this being resolved.
What dealer? My car is in Schaumburg getting that recall done right now.
Old 02-10-11, 06:25 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

lol ... I wish us IS250 guys got a gift card ...
Old 02-10-11, 06:27 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

wait are 07 IS350 affected?

Quick Reply: Valve Recall Problems - BE AWARE!