IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Viper 5902 on 2008 Lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 08:29 PM
Diabolikul
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had ONLY the Viper SmartStart installed in my 2008 IS250. I didn't get the alarm, only the remote start.

I inquired about TWO key fobs as I really wasn't thrilled about having to carry 2 of them around at all times.

So, here's a tip - Viper now has applications for iPhone, Blackberry and Android based phones that do everything the key fob normally does and then some. This app negates needing to carry around a second key fob with you. Now, again, I don't have the Viper alarm on my car, but the iPhone app will arm, disarm, remote start, lock, unlock... all that stuff. It even saves your longitude/latitude so that you can find your car later. It does that automagically when you use the app to "lock" the car up. So, if you're out at DisneyWorld, the app will lead you right to your car.

Now since I only had the SmartStart remote start module installed in my car, and not the alarm, I do NOT know if adding the SmartStart smartphone capabilities will cost you extra. I assume there will be some sort of additional module that needs to be installed since the SmartStart unit operates on 3G cellular. I DO know that the phone based SmartStart unit is compatible with the 5901 and 5902 alarm systems.

I just traded the 250 for an IS-F and will be getting the alarm this time, along with the phone based SmartStart remote start.

The best part of the phone based applications are that since the module in the vehicle operates off 3G cellular, you can start your car from anywhere in the world instead of 1 mile line-of-site. On the other side of the mall? Whip out your iPhone, remote start it and she's chill when you get in.

The downside of the phone apps is the same as its strength. It is cellular based. So your the app on your phone sends a signal via 3G data to Directed, and that signal goes up to a satellite, down to a cell tower near your car and finally to your car. This process can take 30 seconds. So if you are walking up to your car and forgot to unlock it 30 seconds ago you'll be standing around for a few seconds while the signals bounce all over the world.

In addition, the apps have a yearly service fee because of the fact that they use 3G cellular signals. It is $50 for one year of service or $99 for 3 years of service.

I highly recommend the phone based unit as it gets rid of that 2nd key fob and has virtually unlimited range. My last Viper alarm with remote start in my 2001 VW GTI said it had a 1 mile range on it, but I was lucky to get 50 yards out of it and that was only if it was in a pasture with no buildings, trees, people or air around it. So the convenience of this thing working from the next state over if necessary is very cool.

The one other downside to the app, is the same as the keyfob from what I can tell. If you remote start your car using the app, you have to UNLOCK the car using your app, too. If you don't perform the unlock function using the app, then as soon as you put the car in gear, touch the brake, etc., the car is going to shut off. This is a security function. You can't remote start the car and then just walk up, touch your hand to the inside of the handle and open the car. I mean you CAN do that... your car will unlock, but as soon as you hit the brake, the car is going to shut off. It's a minor annoyance, at best.

Make your installer gets the transponder bypass unit. Directed makes one and there's another company that makes one, too. These trick your vehicle's ignition in to thinking that there is a key within proximity. Don't let your installer try to make you give up a key so they can do your remote start. That's just asking for a theft to occur.

The last tip I'll give you is NOT to go to Best Buy. They sell the Viper SmartStart remote start unit by itself for I think $399 installed. That's no alarm, just the remote start. I don't care how many years the installer has been doing this or whether he says he's done 5,000 Lexus's just like yours... don't go to Best Buy! You can get the same exact product and price from a reputable ALARM installation shop. Go to a pro. You're driving a Lexus for pete's sake, don't let some rinky dink college kid start cutting wires in your beautiful high-tech luxury vehicle. It ain't worth it!!

If you're in the Tampa area, I recommend Buzz-Off Alarms. I don't work for them, but they've done the window tint, alarm installs and audio installs on all my vehicles in the past. They get it done right the first time and if any issues pop up later, they'll fix them for free. They might cost a few dollars more on the labor side of things but it is well worth it to have a professional installer with 10+ years of experience clipping wires in your vehicle. That said, they installed the remote start unit for the same price Best Buy charged and got it right the first time.

If you's have any questions about how the app works, let me know.

For the guy who asked about the key bypass, I know I'm two months late, but Directed makes one themselves here:

http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=0

That's the 1101T but I think the "PKALL" will work with it, too.
Old 10-22-11, 06:37 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

is there a way to install this using JUST the oem key fob? sorry if im asking the same thing twice i was reading the posts and couldnt find anything... thanks!
Old 10-22-11, 07:20 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
is there a way to install this using JUST the oem key fob? sorry if im asking the same thing twice i was reading the posts and couldnt find anything... thanks!
the only way to use the viper is using the viper remote--unless you get smartstart smartphone app for iphone or android, then you need the phone to open/close the car everytime.
Old 10-22-11, 07:30 AM
js619858
Pole Position

I have an ISF so my question is would installing the device void warrenty?
Old 10-22-11, 08:18 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by funglenn
the only way to use the viper is using the viper remote--unless you get smartstart smartphone app for iphone or android, then you need the phone to open/close the car everytime.
ok so what if i use something else besides viper? im just looking for something that can start it with the oem key fob... does the dealership install this for you if you buy it from them?
Old 10-22-11, 11:13 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
ok so what if i use something else besides viper? im just looking for something that can start it with the oem key fob... does the dealership install this for you if you buy it from them?
sorry there is on OEM and I had yet to find someone who would use the OEM FOB. but the issue is also the OEM fob has terrible range while my viper has 3/4 mile two day communication. I would rather know the car started than wonder. however i don't use the alarm every day, thus I still look it from the handle and use the handle to unlock. The viper will let itself stay unarmed for months at a time, i have only armed it a few times, but you an use the remote start portion independent of weither or not the alarm is active.

I only use the remote start fob when i actually remotely start the car, thus minimiznig the pain of the second FOB.

does that make sense?
Old 10-22-11, 11:39 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

sorry there is on OEM and I had yet to find someone who would use the OEM FOB. but the issue is also the OEM fob has terrible range while my viper has 3/4 mile two day communication. I would rather know the car started than wonder. however i don't use the alarm every day, thus I still look it from the handle and use the handle to unlock. The viper will let itself stay unarmed for months at a time, i have only armed it a few times, but you an use the remote start portion independent of weither or not the alarm is active.

I only use the remote start fob when i actually remotely start the car, thus minimiznig the pain of the second FOB.

does that make sense?
lol. not really. so there is no way of installing remote starter using just your oem fob? i dont like the extra key..
Old 10-23-11, 10:35 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MDK1116
@funglenn Very interesting. It looks like yours was indeed wired differently then mine. My installer told me there there was no way to unlock doors with DEI remote after the car was remote started with it. He informed me that I had to to establish a relationship with the OEM remote(acting as the key) and the car to before being able to drive. It's a big inconvenience the way it is installed. I may call back to complain to see if he'll work on it some more. He spent 6 hours on it and this is how it ended up. As far as not arming the car, I can't do that. My complex has had several vehicles broke into and I love having the ease of mind that I will be informed when a sensor goes off directly to my color DEI remote. The only aspect I really want to change is being able to remote start car while doors stayed locked (so no one can hop in car and take off) but then be able to unlock doors with same DEI remote and hop in car and take off without having to cut the car off. Do you think they should cover this for free? Anything specific my installer may have messed up on that I can pre warn him about? Thanks bud!

@apokC
1. I bought my module and Viper 5902 online for $340 shipped. I then spent $200 for the install, totaling $540. Always cheaper to buy online instead of at the shop.
2. Yes, you must have both remotes.

@jmags I had the same debate with myself. However, Personally, the remote start and the sensor notifying security features outweighed the convenience of being too lazy to pull a remote out of my pocket haha. I understand either way though.
Wow I love these features! May I ask where you got your module and 5902 from? And what kind of shop did you have ppl install for you? I'm guessing they will have to have lots of experience...and I don't think too many shops perform this kind of installation..?
Old 10-24-11, 12:21 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

I have the Python 592 and I only use my remote start on hot days. I don't mind carrying 2 remotes. You can get the smart card to eliminate one FOB to put in your pocket.
Old 10-24-11, 06:18 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dorkacho
Wow I love these features! May I ask where you got your module and 5902 from? And what kind of shop did you have ppl install for you? I'm guessing they will have to have lots of experience...and I don't think too many shops perform this kind of installation..?

a couple of things--the reason I did not buy online and then ask someone else to install it is the installation itself-- an install shop may not warranty the hardware easily and any issues with install they will blame the hardware--3 shops warrned me about that (that is why they want you to pay for their prices).

However on the other guys install (MDK1116) --it was done wrong. The car should not die when you step in it. my car gives me 30 seconds from the second I use the DEI remote to unlock the door to step into the car and hit the brake pedal--at which time it switches seamlessly to hte OEM key in my pocket. (the only bizzare thing I have noticed is that if I go to let my wife in the car initally or the kids then it will not cut over seamlessly. Probably because it senses the key then senses it go away then cuts off via the normal security measure. However if I just unlock ,get in car, hit brake pedal, no issues. ) If it cuts off MDK1116--then it was wired wrong. basically whatever bypass module he used as done wrong. DEI makes one specifically for Toyota/Lexus cars with our type of key. It can be seamless!

Also if the car is ulocked, and I remote start then it locks the doors. If the doors were locked by the OEM fob, then it keeps them locked and starts the car.

In my case, my car sits in my garage and I work on a military base, so theft is not on my mind, nor is it my weekend car so I don't use the alarm, except on rare ocassions.

email or PM if you want more info.

Last edited by funglenn; 10-24-11 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-24-11, 08:41 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

I see. What would you suggest I do then? Is there a trustworthy local store sells and also install for you?
Old 10-25-11, 05:17 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Does anyone have any inputs on this? Thanks!
Old 10-26-11, 07:42 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MDK1116
Vital- my rationale in getting an after mark alarm was for several reasons.

1. remote start - nice for when its cold outside or in summer to get the cooled seats and AC pumping before entering the car. Plus, remote start is just cool haha.

2. The features. You can have stuff such as window roll down, temperate gauge check of the car, defrost, etc.

3. With the Viper 5902 I installed, it will alert me on the full color remote when a sensor goes off and shows which part of the car is being tampered with. With your stock security, you will never know it's going off if you are not right there by it.

4. The alarm sounds the viper makes is very impressive as well as a blue led flashing to scare away robbers.

I posted a demonstration of my viper 5902 on you tube.

Here is the link....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jT-ChvSM0

Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers!

nice! does the original key fob still work as to where u just walked up to the car pull the handle and it unlocks? or u have to push the button on ur keys? how much was the alarm if u dont mind me asking
Old 10-29-11, 07:17 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know if this will void any factory warranty ?
Old 12-27-13, 06:23 AM
drigun
Driver School Candidate

Default DEI Module Help

I have a Viper 5901 installed and your installer did a poor job. DEI has a module to interface with our smart keys and i recommend they use that. I cannot use my OEM remote buttons anymore if i enable the alarm or have the remote start working. Although i have noticed if I lock using the OEM system, I can still remote start using the DEI system, and unlock using the DEI system.

I start the car, come out a few minutes later, unlock using the viper remote, get in the car, hit the brake and the car is just fine--does not die. Although i have noticed if i open the passenger or other doors to put stuff in, then go around to my side the engine will die when I hit the brake (Basically anytime the car would normally beep that it senses the smartkey and then loses the connection because you are too far away--the system does not seem to handle that well).

The temp reading also works from the remote. They also wired my trunk and wired my defroster to work as an option from the remote as well.

You installer did a bad job. It took them two tries to get mine right, but they did and I am very happy! PM if you have questions.
Hey funglenn,

I have read several of your comments regarding remote starter and interface module. I recently got viper 5704V installed using Omega OL-MDB-ALL interface module for 2008 IS250 AWD at local Bestbuy. They installed the thing and it is remote starter is working fine except that it shuts off when brake was tapped. This is really becoming so much inconvenient after spending so much money on the whole remote starter and installation. Is there a specific module that i have to use to correct this problem? Your advice is really appreciated. It would be helpful even if you can tell me what module you used on your car. Have a nice day.