IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 03:45 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All my cars have not had license plates and have been pulled over and gotten that ticket along with other violations( Too Low, Modified exhaust, No front plate, NOS in my engine) in Fremont CA. It used to be that they could only ticket you after pulling you over for something else. Now they can pull you over JUST for that and look for other things.after they have you pulled over.
Old 02-14-11, 05:05 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ You're supposed to post that video of your front license plate solution.

I agree that the front plate looks ugly and really takes away from the clean lines. Despite being in California, I leave it off. So far I've been lucky...
Old 02-14-11, 07:32 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB350
You could always get one of the tow hook plate mounts if you don’t want to drill into the front bumper to mount the plate holder.
http://www.rhoplate.com/RPTL01.html
That way you can still take the plate off for shows and meets and then put back on for daily driving or when you park in a place that has parking enforcement.

I don’t own one yet, but if I ever get a “fix-it-ticket” for no front plate, I will be getting one of these to get it signed off.

This is exactly what I did, Ive had my car for 5 years with no front plate no bracket no nothing, but just about 3 months ago I got a ticket for no front plate, so I didnt want to drill holes so I purchased the RHO Plate, the link stated above is EXACTLY my same color and position of plate, Its funny because I get people that take double looks to see my front plate mounting.
Old 02-14-11, 07:47 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm used to having a front plate on our cars, so it doesn't bother me that I got one. I guess it's personal preference and risk.
Old 02-14-11, 08:02 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always wanted one of the retractable license plates brackets. That way, when you see a cop, press a button and the license plate will pop up from under your bumper. They cost too much and I didn't want tickets so I just went ahead and drilled the four holes. The first two months I didn't have a front plate since I have the temps in the rear, I never got pulled over even when numerous cops looked at my front bumper when they were driving by.

Retractable: http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...EU-p/400eu.htm

In action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4nEpTLSilI
Old 02-14-11, 08:11 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

ya my thing is this...If the stealership wouldve put it one on when I first bought then what ever I would just leave it on, but they didnt so now I have the luxury to NOT put holes in my bumper by using the towhook license plate holder...
Old 02-15-11, 12:52 AM
will_is250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
All my cars have not had license plates and have been pulled over and gotten that ticket along with other violations( Too Low, Modified exhaust, No front plate, NOS in my engine) in Fremont CA. It used to be that they could only ticket you after pulling you over for something else. Now they can pull you over JUST for that and look for other things.after they have you pulled over.
Off topic but damn how low you gotta be to get a fix it ticket? I always just have zero gap on mine.
As for the fix it ticket on the plates, you can always try to find a cop friend to sign it off.
Old 02-15-11, 08:34 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

A cop here in Las Vegas told me that in Nevada, you must install the front plate ONLY if the car has a front plate bracket or bolts. If the car's front bumper doesn't have any plate attachment mechanism, you're OK.
Old 02-15-11, 08:44 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Originally Posted by will_is250
Off topic but damn how low you gotta be to get a fix it ticket? I always just have zero gap on mine.
As for the fix it ticket on the plates, you can always try to find a cop friend to sign it off.
California Vehicle Code says 21" to the center of headlight and no body part lower than the lowest part of the wheel.
Old 02-15-11, 08:56 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

wow you can't do much to your car in Cali, huh?
Old 02-15-11, 09:52 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Originally Posted by dvo
wow you can't do much to your car in Cali, huh?
Just look at my pics on my sig.....NOPE!
Old 02-15-11, 09:57 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Not legally.
Old 02-15-11, 10:03 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Just look at my pics on my sig.....NOPE!
haha, damn you mod bug.
Old 02-17-11, 12:12 AM
chobreeezy
Rookie

Lol.. Thanks guys for your inputs.. I have a feeling when the time comes im just going to suck it up and put on a plate
Old 02-17-11, 08:54 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CleverName
I've known many a owner of Euro cars that tried to side step the need for plates as there was no mounting point for one...

Didn't work.... Tickets still get written, cause its the law...

The best option I have seen so far is this....
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...rl33iddc7eeft2

Vince
Believe it or not, in the state of California (at least, maybe other states too) the plate has to be a some distance from the ground. If it's too low, you will get a ticket. Not to mention if the car is lowered, I wouldn't want to bottom out with the plate there. And it looks horrible sticking out like that. I guess you could try and mount it in a different location though.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate