IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 07:03 PM
chobreeezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate

Hey CL .. I just purchased my is250 and was wondering if any other of you guys havent put on a front license plate. I dont want to put one on for aesthetic reasons but was wondering if any of you ran into any cop trouble because of it.
Old 02-13-11, 07:10 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends which state you are in. IN California, Law says you need to have front AND back license plates. But it is basically up to the cops how they want to enforce it.

I know some people who have gotten tickets for not having plates in the front. Yet, some other people have never gotten a ticket for it.
Old 02-13-11, 07:12 PM
chobreeezy
Rookie

Im located in Cali too.. One of my friends has a g35and decided to just leave his sticker from the dealer and put on a back plate..

I heard around some parts that DPT give tickets for no front plate
Old 02-13-11, 07:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah it's up to the cops if they want to give tickets out or not. At dealerships located in states which require front licence plates, the cars actually do not come with the front plate holders. They actually put the front plate holders on site.

If a customer wants to have a new vehicle without the front license plate holder, the customer will be required to sign a wavier saying the dealership will not be responsible if they get pulled over. From what I heard, it is something the dealership does not want to do however it can be done.

I assumed you signed it chobreeezy before you got yours?

Last edited by Sango; 02-13-11 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 07:36 PM
chobreeezy
Rookie

I wasnt asked to sign a waiver yet.. California does require front license plates but my car didnt come with a front license plate holder.
The dealership just told me to come back when I get my plates
Old 02-13-11, 07:57 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chobreeezy
I wasnt asked to sign a waiver yet.. California does require front license plates but my car didnt come with a front license plate holder.
The dealership just told me to come back when I get my plates
Oh ok, that means they did not put the holder in yet. Before they do, you may want to tell them to hold off on drilling the holes and putting the holder in place before you decided what you like to do.

--------------
When I was a kid, I was in my mom's car when she got pulled over by a cop in Vancouver. Reason was there was no front plate. In this case, it was a legitimate reason because a mounting bolt which held the holder in place actually broke a day or two earlier and it needed to get fixed. The cop was surprised by it when my mom showed it to him as she grab both the plate and the broken bolt in the glove compartment. The officer let her go on her way.

Last edited by Sango; 02-13-11 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 08:02 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chobreeezy
California does require front license plates but my car didnt come with a front license plate holder.
I've known many a owner of Euro cars that tried to side step the need for plates as there was no mounting point for one...

Didn't work.... Tickets still get written, cause its the law...

The best option I have seen so far is this....
http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...rl33iddc7eeft2

Vince
Old 02-13-11, 08:44 PM
willfxp
Driver

I got a ticket by the parking enforcement in Venice Beach for not having a front plate

Here in Seattle, seems like they can't pull you over for not having a front plate. I got pulled over for speeding, and the cop specifically said he pulled me over because of the speeding, and then tacked on the no front plate fixit ticket. Kind of weird that he had to point that out ("I pulled you for speeding, and not because of the missing plate"). Makes me wonder if I really was speeding...
Old 02-13-11, 08:59 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

In NY, you are required to have the front and back license plates on... Just the other day, i saw a traffic officer write up this woman's jeep for having no front license plate. She was parked in front of me on the side street meter parking and as i saw her getting the ticket, i thought it was for an expired meter but as you ran over to the cop, it was too late, she got a ticket for having no front license plate... Best bet is to park your car in a driveway or parking lot where there are no traffic officers to write your car up...
Old 02-13-11, 09:09 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Its a reason for a cop to stop you, just follow the law..
Old 02-13-11, 09:37 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Good thing we don't need a front plate in Florida
Old 02-13-11, 09:38 PM
lawst
Driver School Candidate

I got a ticket but i didn't get pulled over... I wasn't even driving lol. I was at the mall and when I came back to the car I found a citation on the windshield for not having a front plate. I just payed the $30 and I never put the front plate on. I'd rather not drill holes into the bumper.
Old 02-13-11, 10:02 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the thing, California, YES you are technically supposed to have a front license plate, but it don't matter.

1. It's a Luxury car, we can get away with more than average cars
2. Usually you will get pulled over from behind, so the cop shouldn't even notice ure lack of plates, cuz he has no reason to go to the front of your car
3. I'd say like 90% of people getting tickets due to no front plates, are from when they are parked at malls or shopping centers.
4. It's well worth the risk, front plates suck! haha
Old 02-13-11, 10:35 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Front plates do suck, but the law's the law. Shopping centers and malls lately have been gold mines for cops to hand out tickets. I'll disagree that luxury cars get less attention. It depends on the area. The link that CleverName posted is what I use. I know others here have motorized versions that come out of the lower grille. Kinda cool, but that may be cutting it close if a cop pulls you over and the plate doesn't flip up in time.
Old 02-13-11, 11:20 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by willfxp
I got a ticket by the parking enforcement in Venice Beach for not having a front plate

Here in Seattle, seems like they can't pull you over for not having a front plate. I got pulled over for speeding, and the cop specifically said he pulled me over because of the speeding, and then tacked on the no front plate fixit ticket. Kind of weird that he had to point that out ("I pulled you for speeding, and not because of the missing plate"). Makes me wonder if I really was speeding...
That's more like the secondary offense as they will not pull you over for that unless they can pull you over for a primary offense which would generate better revenue.

It was like before they the cell phone hands free law was in place. If you were speeding and had a cell phone, they would get you on speeding then tack the cell phone on top. If it was just the cell phone and not speeding, they would not bother pulling you over while they would rather catch someone who is speeding.

In Vancouver, BC it's more strict. Hands free, no contact with the cell phone. On Vancvouer TV news, when the police were doing a road check for drink and driving (cars were lining up). A person was ticketed right away in the line, the driver did not know why (wasn't drinking) - the officier indicated that is the offiense, the driver had their cell phone in their hand!

Last edited by Sango; 02-14-11 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate