IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone try this iPod Integration kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 12:37 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I didn't even know they had dock-aux cables!

But the plus side of iPod integration is abeing able to use the cars steering wheel controls. I dont want to have to take my eyes off the road to change the song
Oh, absolutely... well, you can still use the volume controls on the wheel with AUX... but you can't change tracks that way... and you won't get any info displayed on the dash from the ipod with AUX either.

BTW if anyone is still having trouble picturing this, the cheap version is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-iPod-iPhon...#ht_3497wt_801

Dock to aux.

The pricier one is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Cha.../dp/B0031U1AU0

Which both charges and provides a line-level output both using the dock connector at the same time

Both will give you the same audio quality as an integration kit (which would also just be getting the audio from the dock connector), but neither will display info on the dash or let you change tracks with the steering wheel buttons.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-18-11 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 01:27 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

willl getting that wire with the dock to aux/charger get rid of that hissing/electronic sound from the alternator?
Old 02-17-11, 10:16 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Ive been reading the reviews on the one with the charger, got some pretty bad reviews.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Oh, absolutely... well, you can still use the volume controls on the wheel with AUX... but you can't change tracks that way... and you won't get any info displayed on the dash from the ipod with AUX either.

BTW if anyone is still having trouble picturing this, the cheap version is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-iPod-iPhon...#ht_3497wt_801

Dock to aux.

The pricier one is something like this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW...co=MTA4ODAyNjU

Which both charges and provides a line-level output both using the dock connector at the same time

Both will give you the same audio quality as an integration kit (which would also just be getting the audio from the dock connector), but neither will display info on the dash or let you change tracks with the steering wheel buttons.
Old 02-18-11, 05:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, I was not recommending a specific brand, it was just the first one I found in a google search with a decent picture to show an example...

I personally use a Belkin that I've had for like 4 years now and it continues to work flawlessly (though it did need an extra power-adapter on the dock plug if you wanted it to charge the newer-gen iphone/ipod since Apple changed what charging methods they support since I originally bought it)... have used it with an ipod classic, iphone 3G, and now an iphone 4

Belkin doesn't seem to sell my specific kit anymore, but here's a Kensington one that looks similar and directly supports the current-gen phones and ipods that has good reviews for under 30 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Cha.../dp/B0031U1AU0

I've edited my previous post to substitute this example for the poorly reviewed one.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-18-11 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-18-11, 10:55 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I haven't had much time to do a video yet.

Using the simple eBay vs the aux jack is very big difference in the sound quality. Obviously with the iteration kit the sond is alot more crisp and clear, I have a sub and even the bass has better response.

Using the aux and using a charger at the same time just couldn't work gave me an annoying hiss. This was bad bc you could only listen to you playlist until the iPod died then you had to wait for it to charge. Negative

The isimple is a good price and good quality. Like I stated its plug and play displays text and you can still use steering wheel controls. If you have navigation you go I to audio and setup playlist by artist/genre ECT. Very simple to use. The isimple Is used through sat/am function and the box itself have another aux port for game systems or DVD player options.
Old 02-18-11, 10:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmaxey6622
Sorry I haven't had much time to do a video yet.

Using the simple eBay vs the aux jack is very big difference in the sound quality. Obviously with the iteration kit the sond is alot more crisp and clear, I have a sub and even the bass has better response.
As I explained, that's flatly impossible if using a quality dock to aux connector.

You're getting the exact same connection with an integration kit as your are a dock-to-aux connector. A line level signal from the ipod to a line level input on the head unit.

identical

If you were using the AUX jack from the headphone port on the ipod then sure there's a big quality difference, because the headphone port sucks and shouldn't be used for this purpose... the dock port should (just as you use it for the integration unit)

Using the aux and using a charger at the same time just couldn't work gave me an annoying hiss. This was bad bc you could only listen to you playlist until the iPod died then you had to wait for it to charge. Negative
That's the ground loop issue I mentioned like a day or two ago is covered by a TSIB and fixed by the dealer for free.

Once it's fixed the hiss you describe goes away entirely.
Old 02-18-11, 11:26 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the info kurtz, but can you explain how the Aux plug under your armrest is the same as plugging into that SAT output with the integration kit? In my head, now it might not be right, but if plugging into the SAT input in the headunit thats a more direct connection right? While using the aux is like another step, possibly creating a little more distortion? I could totally be wrong. Could you clear this up?
Old 02-18-11, 12:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jnguyen87
Thanks for all the info kurtz, but can you explain how the Aux plug under your armrest is the same as plugging into that SAT output with the integration kit? In my head, now it might not be right, but if plugging into the SAT input in the headunit thats a more direct connection right? While using the aux is like another step, possibly creating a little more distortion? I could totally be wrong. Could you clear this up?
They're both doing the exact same thing.

My way:

iPod dock connector-> Kensington dock-to-aux cable sends a line-level stereo output from the ipod to the cable.

The other end of that cable plugs into the AUX port, which is a direct connection to the line-level AUX input on back of the head unit over a wire.

The other way:

iPod dock connector-> ipod integration unit (VAIS, Lexus, whoever) sends a line level stereo output from the ipod to the cable

The other end of the cable goes into the integration unit, which has a direct connection to the line-level SAT (or CD for the VAIS) input on back of the head unit over a wire.

They're doing exactly the same thing- taking a line level output from the ipod and sending it over wires to a line-level input on the back of the head unit.
Old 02-18-11, 08:49 PM
jmaxey6622
Driver

Default wow

Originally Posted by Kurtz
As I explained, that's flatly impossible if using a quality dock to aux connector.

You're getting the exact same connection with an integration kit as your are a dock-to-aux connector. A line level signal from the ipod to a line level input on the head unit.

identical

If you were using the AUX jack from the headphone port on the ipod then sure there's a big quality difference, because the headphone port sucks and shouldn't be used for this purpose... the dock port should (just as you use it for the integration unit)

That's the ground loop issue I mentioned like a day or two ago is covered by a TSIB and fixed by the dealer for free.

Once it's fixed the hiss you describe goes away entirely.
congrats on solving this issue of ground loop noise. and your OPINION on wether or not the sound quality is different using a headphone jack doc to aux connector and this and that and this and that peice will go here oh yeah, connector from the center console to the ipod

i simple is simply simple or even the vais kit mentioned plugs straight into the back of the stereo there is no this that the other the charger an annoying amounts of wires tucked inside the center compartment and you can also use steering controls. instead of fumbling around for your ipod to change the song.

either product isimple or vais is the way to go.

my camera battery is charging now for an isimple video

obviously you can run this SINGLE wire and hide it in the glove box or anywhere else.

my old setup before spending every worth penny on the isimple

Last edited by jmaxey6622; 02-18-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 09:35 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how was the isimple install?
Old 02-19-11, 06:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

congrats on solving this issue of ground loop noise. and your OPINION on wether or not the sound quality is different using a headphone jack doc to aux connector and this and that and this and that peice will go here oh yeah, connector from the center console to the ipod

It's not an opinion.... if you have any valid scientific explanation for how making exactly the same type of connection with both methods would sound different though I'd be happy to hear it.

i simple is simply simple or even the vais kit mentioned plugs straight into the back of the stereo there is no this that the other the charger an annoying amounts of wires
What?

Of course there is... in fact there's MORE extra hardware and wiring with your method... it's simply more hidden once you've taken apart your console and dash to install all of it... versus my method which has less overall hardware, but remains visible inside the console. On the bright side I can also just unplug mine and take it with me to other vehicles, while you can't without taking apart the console and dash again, then doing so in the other vehicle.

you can also use steering controls. instead of fumbling around for your ipod to change the song.
Absoutely... you can change tracks with the steering wheel button with your method and you can't with mine (you can change volume with the steering wheel in either method), and you get text on the dash display... those, specifically, are the two genuine advantages to your method... at cost of about 5-10 times the money and a much more involved install.

either product isimple or vais is the way to go.
Now see, that would be an OPINION

obviously you can run this SINGLE wire and hide it in the glove box or anywhere else.

That's the same "single wire" you plug into the ipod with my method. As I said, the only difference is the OTHER wires you had to run (the other end of that wire to the integration box... then power and audio cables for that box to the power source and head unit) are hidden inside the dash/console with your method because you took them all apart to install them. I COULD do that with mine too if I wanted to take all that stuff apart and also just have the single dock connector invisible.

Because I'm basically making the same connection you are, just with a much less expensive device that doesn't allow head unit display/track control.

my old setup before spending every worth penny on the isimple

Ah, see? You were using the inferior headphone jack connection.... that explains why you heard an audio quality difference. That connection sucks and shouldn't be used.

If you had used a dock audio connector you'd have one less wire running to the phone (you'd have the same "one simple wire" running to it you have now) and you'd have the much better audio quality you enjoy now.

Anyway, really, both methods, mine and yours, produce excellent, identical, audio... yours costs more and involves a lot more install work, and can't easily be moved between cars... but it lets you change tracks and display data on the dash instead of the iphone. So it's up to each person if that's worth the cost and install and less portability. It's not for me (especially the lack of portability since I like using the ipod integration in my wifes car as well as rentals when I travel too), but obviously is for you.
Old 02-19-11, 06:36 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

im sorry but you are wrong......

first off you are not producing the same method you are using the aux port headphone jack with a connecor to the ipod.

you stated yourself the headphone jack doesnt have as good quality sound from the ipod so why would the aux port?

the isimple has an amplified signal , including resistors to keep out any unwanted ground loop noise interferance.

i need not go into detail concerning the amount of freedom of wiring nor the options that your method seems to lack. considering it was already covered.

i you want a quality sound go with vais or isimple its worth every penny. "and not just for the lack of wires and additional noise"
Old 02-19-11, 06:39 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

[QUOTE=robertrios;6158433]how was the isimple install?[/QUOTE

EASY.

THE INSTALL TOOK LESS THAN 30 MINUTES AND YOU CAN FIND PLENTY OF DIY HERE IN THE FORUM.
Old 02-19-11, 10:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

WTF are you talking about? The aux jack is line level EXACTLY like the sat Port you are using

The reason your old method sucked was you used the iPod headphone jack not the dock connector

And I surely don't want a dinky amp in the way on a cheap integration kit...that's exactly the problem with using the headphone jack on the ipod, you're getting a signal through a cheap amp... I want a clean line level signal for my nice mark levinson amp to use

The ground loop isolator is in the aux jack too with the tsib as I said

So again my method gives AT LEAST as good and clean a signal as an integration kit and better if the integration kit puts some cheap amp in the way

The other advantage of my method over the cheaper integration kits is you don't lose the factory XM radio if you have that option (which I do)... to do integration in that case you need to spend the extra $ for something like the VAIS kit that doesn't use the SAT port on the head unit.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-20-11 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-19-11, 10:32 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Kurz is right on this one... It's the HEADPHONE jack o the iPhone that puts out a crappy signal. (crappy amp on iPhone). By using the dock connector, you get a much better signal - better quality of music.

Personally, I would still use an iPod integration kit so I can use the steering wheel controls (changing songs without taking my eyes off the road), but that's for the Op to decide.

Quick Reply: Anyone try this iPod Integration kit?