IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

SGM Hell - Wheels, Tires, Springs, oh my... (Got Advice?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 01:14 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Out of the ones you posted, I like the first Linea Corse. They are in the Bay Area too, so it's in Cali. Tires are up to you, but there are good reviews of the Hancook's on tirerack.com who you can find in the vendor section. Good luck, and buy what you want.
Thanks; I will definitely buy what I want (and I understand a lot of this comes down to personal preference), but I appreciate the feedback and suggestions because I can't get a lot of hands-on experience with the items I've narrowed it down to.

Oh and tirerack is definitely in the running for either of those tires. They are fairly competitive on pricing.

Thanks again for your comments! Hope you are having a great day!
Old 02-16-11, 02:02 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by macmaster
I have SGM too and agree it's a b***h to mod. I wish I had white.

Regarding matching rims, it's very unlikely that any of what we say matters. You are developing your own discriminating tastes. That's good. The best advice I can give you is to keep looking at a lot of pictures (with SGM) to narrow that taste even more, and eventually you'll come to your own best-informed decision. Good luck.

Oh but in case you do want my opinion, I LOVE the first link you provided. I'd go for that in 18s, with a subtle drop like you mentioned.

For tires - Go for the performance tires. If you don't need winter tires or aren't concerned about MPG, it doesn't really matter. (My other car is a Prius and mileage does matter to me, so I have to be a little more picky there)
I'm glad you feel my pain on the SGM front; That sounded rude. I guess I should say, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels SGM can be tough to mod (at least in some aspects)

You are right, my tastes will make the final decision; I'm definitely not looking for someone to decide for me. However, I've been researching wheels for about a year (and looked at hundreds of SGM pictures), so I'm looking for advice within the examples/parameters I've listed.

Perhaps there are some wheels I haven't seen and/or perhaps some of the examples I've listed look horrible in person. I also really appreciate any feedback I get on 18" vs 19". That Car & Driver article left a lasting impression on me.

I really appreciate your comments and feedback. Sounds like everyone loves those Hankooks
Old 02-16-11, 02:37 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

If you are that picky about wheels, and you can't find anything you like, spend the extra money and get custom wheels made. You choose your finish, style, size, offset.....
Old 02-16-11, 02:59 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,958 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by dubsesd
If you are that picky about wheels, and you can't find anything you like...
Oh god. I think that will send the OP's head spinning even more!

The OP and I are very similar: I, too, have a timetable for new rims based on when I need new tires. And like the OP, I also have been searching for perfect rims for over a year. It's tough. Many here go through several sets of rims like pairs of underwear. But I want to get it right the first time.

So I totally feel the OPs pain. I'm going through it too. (Although my timetable is not as rushed...yet).

But as I said, that first link popped out at me the most. Let me know what you end up going with, cause I might very well copy you someday. Haha.

Last edited by macmaster; 02-16-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 03:00 PM
nonopr01
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't found one yet.
Old 02-16-11, 03:27 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dubsesd
If you are that picky about wheels, and you can't find anything you like, spend the extra money and get custom wheels made. You choose your finish, style, size, offset.....
I'm picky, but I don't think I'm that picky. It's more a matter of finding the right setup for my car, and I've got it narrowed down pretty good right now.

I was just hoping for more feedback on 18" vs 19" or maybe some first hand experience, since I'm going off pictures, which are usually photo-shopped (and I don't think SGM depth photographs that well)

I sincerely appreciate your advice though; It's good to have options. :-)
Old 02-16-11, 03:57 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by macmaster
Oh god. I think that will send the OP's head spinning even more!

The OP and I are very similar: I, too, have a timetable for new rims based on when I need new tires. And like the OP, I also have been searching for perfect rims for over a year. It's tough. Many here go through several sets of rims like pairs of underwear. But I want to get it right the first time.

So I totally feel the OPs pain. I'm going through it too. (Although my timetable is not as rushed...yet).

But as I said, that first link popped out at me the most. Let me know what you end up going with, cause I might very well copy you someday. Haha.
I'm glad you can relate to my situation. I definitely agree that some people go through rims like pairs of underwear. I definitely want/need to get it right the first time.

I'll keep you in the loop on what I decide. I like the style of the 1st rims as well. The tough part comes in when different vendors, colors and sizes are involved.
Old 02-16-11, 05:57 PM
pratik_10
Pole Position

would go wit the volks if you have the cash. i cant spend that much on rims right now so im looking to pick up some lc818s soon. i think gunmetal rims look the best on sgm.