IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight bulb question... Light issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 09:09 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here anyone know how much a new ballast runs?
Old 05-23-11, 08:43 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb keeps going out

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Try swapping out the left D4S bulb with the right D4S bulb and vice versa to rule out a bad bulb or ballast. If the light goes out again (but on the drivers side now since the bulbs were switched) then it's a bad bulb. If the light still goes out on the passenger side, then it's a bad ballast. Hope this helps.
So I'am just now trying this method. My left side keeps going out. Last night I was behind another car in the drive thru and I watch the left side flicker. It went out about 3x in a span of 40mins.
Old 05-23-11, 09:01 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

If you switched bulb sides and the left keeps going out then it's probably your left ballast. You have an 07 right? Sounds like you are put of warranty. You'd need a new ballast then. I'd guess it would cost 100-200 for a replacement
Old 05-23-11, 10:05 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Is there a diy guide for this, the search turn up nothing. The owner manual is not descriptive enough for me, it just says "remove covering", but not as in how to remove cover. I see two screws and a lever, I can not get to the screws with a regular screwdriver, i need an angled screwdriver. I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.
Old 05-23-11, 11:00 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Ok so I got it, but I was working on the wrong bulbs, It is the HID low beam that I should be swapping out...back to the garage lol
Old 05-24-11, 03:30 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Follow Up...
So my hands are too big to safely maneuver the bulbs in and out of the housing, so I decided to take it to my local toyota dealership so they could run diagnostics on my lights. I forked over the $53.45 for the test, and they found out that it was my HID bulb that was going bad. They tried to make me fork over $303 (including labor) for replacing the passenger bulb. After I talked to her about the price, she said they could do it for a cool $250. I told her to give me the price of replacing both bulbs... $511.46 (plus tax). She then went on to claim that labor was included because it will take an hour for each mechanic to take the bulb out and replace it because they had to remove the whole housing.
Old 05-24-11, 04:29 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by intellis
Follow Up...
So my hands are too big to safely maneuver the bulbs in and out of the housing, so I decided to take it to my local toyota dealership so they could run diagnostics on my lights. I forked over the $53.45 for the test, and they found out that it was my HID bulb that was going bad. They tried to make me fork over $303 (including labor) for replacing the passenger bulb. After I talked to her about the price, she said they could do it for a cool $250. I told her to give me the price of replacing both bulbs... $511.46 (plus tax). She then went on to claim that labor was included because it will take an hour for each mechanic to take the bulb out and replace it because they had to remove the whole housing.

WOW!!! That dealer is RAPING you!!! $500 for some damn bulbs, and then throw in that labor is included LMFAO!!!!

First of all neither housing has to be removed that is outright LIES and if it takes them 2 hours to do it RUN AWAY because they must have a blind idiot working on your car, i changed both of mine out in 30min by myself.... drivers side is easy just take out the one bolt that holds the washer fluid tube and access is easy..... passenger side requires removal of the air box but it its super easy i think 3 bolts. Should take a moron an hour tops.
Also those bulbs are a ripoff, you can buy them way cheaper online ask around here im sure plenty of people can send you a link to cheaper bulbs.

****PS i just noticed you were in SC, what part?? im in Columbia if you are close ill help you change them out....

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 05-24-11 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 08:11 AM
intellis
Pole Position

I will have to suck it up and do it myself... I refuse to pay them over $500 for bulbs and labor. I will be out to the hardware store to pick up some scredrivers and socets. The bulbs are $149 on Sewell's site with your club lexus discount.
Old 05-25-11, 02:31 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. Do the bulbs yourself. Or find a relative/friend with small hands and make them do it! It's honestly not too hard. Shouldn't take longer than half an hour (an hour if you're completely new at it). I believe you don't need any screwdrivers. Just a 10mm socket to remove the windshield fluid tube to access the driver headlight door. I do have a 250 though, so changing a 350 with HIDs might be slightly different.
Old 05-25-11, 03:24 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Yeah. Do the bulbs yourself. Or find a relative/friend with small hands and make them do it! It's honestly not too hard. Shouldn't take longer than half an hour (an hour if you're completely new at it). I believe you don't need any screwdrivers. Just a 10mm socket to remove the windshield fluid tube to access the driver headlight door. I do have a 250 though, so changing a 350 with HIDs might be slightly different.
The driver side seems to be the easiest of the two. Its the passenger side that I am concerned about. I will need that socket to remove the engine filtercase bc it is blocking me from removing the light.
Old 05-25-11, 03:41 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

True, that airbox really gets in the way of things. Are you getting the OEM bulbs? IMO, they're a bit pricey. I used Morimoto bulbs, but my application is D2s. Not many manufacturers make D4s. A lot of people around the forums have used Garax bulbs, but I don't know if they come in 4300k (4100k for our IS, I've been told). I'm sure OEM or aftermarket will fit the bill well for you.
Old 05-26-11, 10:14 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kumquatism
True, that airbox really gets in the way of things. Are you getting the OEM bulbs? IMO, they're a bit pricey. I used Morimoto bulbs, but my application is D2s. Not many manufacturers make D4s. A lot of people around the forums have used Garax bulbs, but I don't know if they come in 4300k (4100k for our IS, I've been told). I'm sure OEM or aftermarket will fit the bill well for you.
Yes I' am going with OEM bulbs... I wanna keep it simple as I do not know enough about the bulbs to be changing anything just yet.
Old 06-18-11, 09:13 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
WOW!!! That dealer is RAPING you!!! $500 for some damn bulbs, and then throw in that labor is included LMFAO!!!!

First of all neither housing has to be removed that is outright LIES and if it takes them 2 hours to do it RUN AWAY because they must have a blind idiot working on your car, i changed both of mine out in 30min by myself.... drivers side is easy just take out the one bolt that holds the washer fluid tube and access is easy..... passenger side requires removal of the air box but it its super easy i think 3 bolts. Should take a moron an hour tops.
Also those bulbs are a ripoff, you can buy them way cheaper online ask around here im sure plenty of people can send you a link to cheaper bulbs.

****PS i just noticed you were in SC, what part?? im in Columbia if you are close ill help you change them out....
Thanks man, I am just reading your post. I didnt know you were in the columbia area. I am in Florence. I plan on ordering my lights next month for the the replacements. I will let you know if I need any help, and thanks again for the kind gesture.

What size socket will I need for the passenger side air box... 10mm?
Old 06-18-11, 03:09 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by intellis
Follow Up...
This is beyond unbelievable. I replaced my stock HID low bulbs a few weekends ago, took my 30 minutes total, and that was while I was continually checking CL and the manual. I could redo it in 15. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to remove the "whole housing".

Go to the 2IS FAQ Sticky for a DIY on replacing the bulbs.

I've become desensitized to dealers doing things like this. But the above is so egregious that I would never take my car back there again out of principle. I would print the DIY off CL and bring it into the dealer, find the service tech who claimed the above, sit down with her and honestly ask her to explain herself. She flat-out lied to you with the sole intention of making more money off you. I would sit down with her and ask her to explain herself, and if she wasn't completely apologetic, I would then go to the service manager's office and explain the situation to them.

I can forgive the outrageous mark-up they're taking on the part (by the way, for the price of one OEM bulb you could get two brand new aftermarket bulbs that will match better. If you buy a new stock HID bulb and put it in next to the older stock HID bulb, they'll look different because the color temperature fades as the bulb ages). But the claim that you have to remove the whole housing (unless she's talking about the air box assembly, which I 100% believe she is not), is absolute BS. And a trained technician could replace both bulbs in 10 minutes or less.
Old 06-18-11, 09:49 PM
more4steve
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my driver side HID bulb a few weeks ago. Got an OEM bulb on Amazon for $45 with free shipping. Took about 10 minutes to swap out. Works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Headlight bulb question... Light issue.