IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight bulb question... Light issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 07:11 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This is beyond unbelievable. I replaced my stock HID low bulbs a few weekends ago, took my 30 minutes total, and that was while I was continually checking CL and the manual. I could redo it in 15. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to remove the "whole housing".

Go to the 2IS FAQ Sticky for a DIY on replacing the bulbs.

I've become desensitized to dealers doing things like this. But the above is so egregious that I would never take my car back there again out of principle. I would print the DIY off CL and bring it into the dealer, find the service tech who claimed the above, sit down with her and honestly ask her to explain herself. She flat-out lied to you with the sole intention of making more money off you. I would sit down with her and ask her to explain herself, and if she wasn't completely apologetic, I would then go to the service manager's office and explain the situation to them.

I can forgive the outrageous mark-up they're taking on the part (by the way, for the price of one OEM bulb you could get two brand new aftermarket bulbs that will match better. If you buy a new stock HID bulb and put it in next to the older stock HID bulb, they'll look different because the color temperature fades as the bulb ages). But the claim that you have to remove the whole housing (unless she's talking about the air box assembly, which I 100% believe she is not), is absolute BS. And a trained technician could replace both bulbs in 10 minutes or less.
yeah it is outrageous. she must think i am a fool, i refuse to pay their prices for this service. thanks to all the support and information on this site, i will do it myself and save my $300 for some spark plugs and a battery. thank you for the input calvin2376!!

Originally Posted by more4steve
I replaced my driver side HID bulb a few weeks ago. Got an OEM bulb on Amazon for $45 with free shipping. Took about 10 minutes to swap out. Works like a charm.
hmmm amazon, i will have to look into that. i was going to order them from sewell, but i will have to look at the quality of the ones you are talking about too. thanks.
Old 06-20-11, 08:12 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/SearchResu...x=0&Search.y=0

$70 each. I ordered 6k. 5k would be closer to stock if you're wanting to keep it that way. Just replaced mine a few weeks back as well. Honestly, even taking out the airbox on the passenger side was a piece of cake and I'm no mechanic. Only trouble I had was trying to get the bulb to line up correctly in the socket since it's a tight space to work in. If you pay close attention to the orientation of the bulb when you pull out the old one it should make it pretty straight-forward (i didn't ).
Old 06-20-11, 08:59 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anthrax144
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/SearchResu...x=0&Search.y=0

$70 each. I ordered 6k. 5k would be closer to stock if you're wanting to keep it that way. Just replaced mine a few weeks back as well. Honestly, even taking out the airbox on the passenger side was a piece of cake and I'm no mechanic. Only trouble I had was trying to get the bulb to line up correctly in the socket since it's a tight space to work in. If you pay close attention to the orientation of the bulb when you pull out the old one it should make it pretty straight-forward (i didn't ).
Ok, Thanks.

So are 6K bulbs whiter (or brighter) than the stock ones? And do they still self level when you turn the car on like the stock ones. Excuse me if my questions are of the simple nature. I just like to get things right the first time.