IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My WORK rims are ruined!!! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 01:42 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
P21s is not strong, not acidic. I use this product on all my customers cars and can even be used on the cars paint.
Looks like a defect with the wheels or possibly previous owner used something to strong before.
Agreed. You're only supposed to use it if you clean your wheels frequently since its probably the weakest/safest (or one of the) cleaners to use on wheels. That looks like a wheel defect :/
Old 02-22-11, 12:19 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muggy: If you need to find a wheel shop to repair/refinish those wheels, PM and I can refer you. I've done wheel repairs and custom wheel finishes with them and their work is phenomenal. =) Sorry to hear about the paint flaking on your Work wheels. I've never seen that happen before on Works.
Old 02-22-11, 03:01 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I just found out the black chrome was flaking due to salt on the roads in Canada. Although I only sticked it on for 1 week but couple days ago I went to another city and didn't expect the place to have massive salt all over the roads even though it didn't snow. In case you guys are wondering why did I stick these wheels on during the winter, well it practically didn't snow at all this winter in richmond and most of the time its either rain or sunshine..

Thanks KI_GSE21! Will give them a call soon.

So it suddenly clicked in to me. Since the flaking is only happening on the sides of spokes, I might actually just tell the wheels shops to paint those side black like the picture below. This way they don't need to remove the entire black chrome. Again it's only happening on the sides. I double checked and the faces of the center is perfect, no defects nor flakes.. What do you guys think?

The reason why i'm thinking of doing it this way is because it's $300 per wheel to strip the entire chrome and paint it another colour. And I still really love the black chrome look since it's pretty rare in Vancouver CAN.

Last edited by J250; 02-22-11 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 03:17 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

doing the black accents looks like a really cool idea. but i'd still be pretty worried about the rest of the black chrome flaking off in the long run. i mean we can't actually see it up close and personal like you so its a little hard to tell. if you do go the black accent route see if the wheel repair shop an put an extra coating of protection on the black chrome to protect it from flaking. i dont know if its possible but its worth a shot to protect your investment from further damage.
Old 02-22-11, 03:30 PM
kvl
Pole Position

i guess its worth a try,
if it does peer again, get it repaint the entire wheel then,
as least you have saving the expensive wbc as much as possible now
Old 02-22-11, 03:44 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Paint does not bond well to chrome and will flake off over time. Also I think it would cost even more to mask the face just to paint between the spoke because its way more labor intensive. Our shop sends wheels our for repair all the time and I think you're looking at a big chunk of change going that route. I recommend stripping it down and refinish it.

Maybe refinish the wheels in hyper black. Hyper Black paint is not exactly black chrome but it does look pretty nice. Or maybe hyper black with machined face, now that would be pretty unique and look sharp

Here's a good example of hyper black. If you wanna see it in person swing by my shop (Volco on Bridgeport)
Old 02-22-11, 04:03 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dvo
this is giving me second thoughts about Work wheels...
I've had six sets of Work Wheels over the years and have never had a problem. Work wheels are a top shelf product and one cannot go wrong plopping down hard earned cash for these wheels.

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
do not ever put any type of 'wheel cleaner' on your rims~ EVER... i don't care if its 'what professionals use'~ i've seen too many rims ruined by so called 'professionals'~
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but... Frequent washes, soap and water only and microfiber towels. It's the only way to go.
Old 02-22-11, 06:56 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^thanks for reassuring

hyper black looks really sexy, didn't know there was a such thing

Last edited by Dvo; 02-22-11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 11:58 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this was caused by salt on the roads, not from p21s...
Old 02-23-11, 01:08 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 27 Posts

To be clear, I am not saying P21s caused his problem. I am saying, however, that the only cleaners that should be used on any wheels is good 'ole soap and water. There are too many different wheels, with different coatings and manufacturing processes, for one cleaner, including P21s, to work as planned in every case. Some wheels, like CCWs, come with no clearcoat at all so to use anything other than soap and water is risking trouble, IMO.
Old 02-23-11, 01:19 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

ouch that sucks. i agree, i would only ever use water from now on. i dont even use soap on my wheels, just water and a towel to clean them.

$275 a wheel is nuts for powder coating.