Old 02-20-11, 08:37 PM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis-Leading Car ad??

So i've been searching for for an is350 for a little while. I've been checking

cars.com every now and then to see if anything new pops up. I check this

morning and one grabs my attention. The features they list are Fsport

exhaust, Fsport 19", Fsport suspension, Fsport brakes etc. To me it sounds like a good deal,

so i went and checked it out even tho they're closed. Come to find out it

dosn't have any of the Fsport goodies that they listed I got all excited

for no reason. Maybe i'm just a blind noob?? Heres the link.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 02-20-11, 09:04 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, you are correct.

I'd call them, say you'll take it at the advertised price and the insist that all of that get installed on it at the nearest Lexus dealership before delivery.
Old 02-20-11, 09:05 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

First off it's at a Honda dealer not a Lexus dealer. Second by just looking at the picture there no one f sport stuff on there.
Old 02-20-11, 09:11 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No F-Sport exhaust in pics. Tell them to put all the F Sport stuff on, and then you'll buy it. But man, that white IS looks nice!
Old 02-20-11, 09:20 PM
Micaiah

But tell them AFTER you agree to buy it at the advertised price. That way they can't jack it up.

On a serious note, they advertised my SUV for something that it wasn't. Actually, they put a price too low on it. The miles were different, the features were different but the stock number and VIN were the same. I sat there telling them I want the car in the picture, THAT stock number for THAT price. Five hours later I had me an almost loaded SUV 4x4 for $20k that in reality should have sold for over 34k. (at least he was angry enough to tell me that)

Stick to your guns. The key is the stock number. Make sure this ad matches the stock number and VIN on the car. And then insist that you want the car in the ad for the price listed. Seriously.
Old 02-20-11, 09:42 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds as though they assumed that sport package extras mean you get all the fsport goodies.
Old 02-20-11, 10:10 PM
foam
Driver

That is a good deal even without the F-Sport goodies if you can talk them down a little more. I agree with Lexitegra, they probably just assumed it had F-Sport Goodies in it because it was a Honda dealer.
Old 02-21-11, 10:17 AM
fbarbarosa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Micaiah
But tell them AFTER you agree to buy it at the advertised price. That way they can't jack it up.

On a serious note, they advertised my SUV for something that it wasn't. Actually, they put a price too low on it. The miles were different, the features were different but the stock number and VIN were the same. I sat there telling them I want the car in the picture, THAT stock number for THAT price. Five hours later I had me an almost loaded SUV 4x4 for $20k that in reality should have sold for over 34k. (at least he was angry enough to tell me that)

Stick to your guns. The key is the stock number. Make sure this ad matches the stock number and VIN on the car. And then insist that you want the car in the ad for the price listed. Seriously.
Good luck with that approach. I think that you will discover two realities. First, that no dealer will sell a car at a loss or forgo an expected future sale for an immediate sale with significantly less profit. Second, there is nothing in law that requires the dealer to sell to you at the advertised price.

An advertisement is not a contract; it is a notice by the seller that they will accept an offer from you. It is not bait and switch; a practice that is unlawful, where a seller advertises a low price with no intention of selling and steers customers to another item at a higher price.
Old 02-21-11, 10:32 AM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by fbarbarosa
Good luck with that approach. I think that you will discover two realities. First, that no dealer will sell a car at a loss or forgo an expected future sale for an immediate sale with significantly less profit. Second, there is nothing in law that requires the dealer to sell to you at the advertised price.

An advertisement is not a contract; it is a notice by the seller that they will accept an offer from you. It is not bait and switch; a practice that is unlawful, where a seller advertises a low price with no intention of selling and steers customers to another item at a higher price.
Oh okay.

I guess I was lucky, huh? I thought advertising a car as having certain amenities and then selling as not was something along the lines of false advertising but you probably know more about it than I do. Maybe my sales guy was too uneducated to fight me on it!
Old 02-21-11, 10:49 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I once saw a 2008 z06 on autotrader for $33k. I called and said i would pay him cash immediately... it was clearly an accident and there was no bargaining or the dealership living up to the advertisement. They promptly upped the price online after my phone call. haha
Old 02-21-11, 11:02 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Well, i spoke with a saleman and he said all the Fsport goodies was already installed on the car, so i said really, can you put something in writing saying i'll get all the Fsport part at that advertised price? He said hold on i'll call you right back. After an hour i get a call from the supervisor apologizing for the wrong info they listed, apparently they were told that info from the previous owner.

Oh well i guess i'll continue to search.
Old 02-22-11, 11:40 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

I think i'm going to get car if they lower the price a little.

Does anyone know what package it is? because the dealer dosn't and i'm a complete noob. Is there any way to tell if has hid's just by looking at the pics?
Old 02-22-11, 12:08 PM
2IS350DT
Driver

First, I think you either have the Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package or the Navigation System. I think you can distingush which one you have by checking at your CD player, if it has a 6 disc changer, then you have the Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package.

Second, you have the Premium Package Value Edition - the wood interior trim and the heated/cool seats.

not 100% sure thats correct tho, just my 2 cents.

I don't think there is a way to tell if it has HIDs by looking at the pictures, but I heard HIDs are part of the standard option for the 350s.. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 02-22-11, 12:49 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry man, the vehicle descriptions on cars.com and autotrader are often incorrect - esp. when they are for sale at a different manufacturer's dealership. sometimes, the descriptions are copy and paste jobs from previous ads.

i would not expect the car to be equipped with any items not shown in the photos. first thing is to make sure the photo of the mileage matches, and go from there. large inventory automalls will sometimes re-use car pics or post the wrong ones.

Last edited by ThermonMer; 02-22-11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 01:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2IS350DT
First, I think you either have the Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package or the Navigation System. I think you can distingush which one you have by checking at your CD player, if it has a 6 disc changer, then you have the Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package.
All 2IS cars have a 6-disc changer.

If he has a 6 disc CD changer but DOES have nav then it's not mark levinson.

ML with nav has a DVD changer.

But it's much easier to just look at the head unit (where the discs go)- it'll say Mark Levinson on it if it's Mark Levinson.

Second, you have the Premium Package Value Edition - the wood interior trim and the heated/cool seats.
Depends if he has memory seats or not. Those two things without them is indeed the premium package.

Those two things with memory seats means Luxury package.

No, if he has a 6 disc CD changer but DOES have nav then it's not mark levinson.

ML with nav has a DVD changer.

But it's much easier to just look at the head unit (where the discs go)- it'll say Mark Levinson on it if it's Mark Levinson.

I don't think there is a way to tell if it has HIDs by looking at the pictures, but I heard HIDs are part of the standard option for the 350s.. correct me if i am wrong.

You're wrong.

Up through 2010 anyway they were optional only.

They're included in the sport and luxury packages (ie if you have memory seats you 100% for sure have HIDs) but they're also a stand-alone option for folks without those things, so you'd have to check if there's an AFS On/Off option in the multi-display for 07-10 models.