IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

screw in tire = fixable? or leave alone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 11:03 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just unscrew, wiggle it out and see if it leaks...I would rather replace during the day than get stuck on the highway in the middle of the night trying to jack up the car.
Old 02-22-11, 11:48 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not worth a blow out or flat doing 80...just get it replaced!
Old 02-22-11, 12:07 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't tell from your picture for sure but the screw looks like it might be a drywall screw. These can range from one inch to more than three but the odds are it is a shorter length.

What I would try is to unscrew it using a screwdriver (wriggling it might make a bigger hole). If you want to unscrew while on car you might need a short-handled screwdriver depending on how much clearance you have to work with.

If, as you unscrew it you start to hear air escaping then you know tire is punctured and screw it back in same amount and get to repair shop you trust.

If no air sound then you are probably safe. (might want to put small mark on sidewall so you can easily spot location again). As an extra check you can put a little soapy water over hole to see if air is escaping.

If no air comes out or you see the screw is actually short than you are probably safe. Check tire pressure over next couple weeks to confirm.

(Screwing it in all the way is not a good idea IMO as 1) you might not have a puncture yet but screwing in all the way will probably give you one. 2) once screwed in it will continue to rub/ grate on tire as wheel hits road and will always leak to some degree)

(re. using a repair kit - I have patched tires myself using kits but they are tricky to use so you don't get insertion tool caught in the belt material. Unless you are willing to waste the tire I would not try)
I

Last edited by edarte; 02-22-11 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-24-11, 06:14 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert but let's examine the risks here and the worst case scenario. Remember if something CAN go wrong it most likely WILL go wrong. You just have to figure out how much you...your family and the lives of others on the road is worth. If saving a few hundred bucks is worth a human life...then I say leave it. Otherwise it's kind of silly to even consider NOT replacing it. Just spend the money be safe and get it replaced.