IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 or bimmer 328i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 05:29 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowman
Dude... IS250 will eat a Corolla for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used to own a Corolla and Civic so I can feel the difference in my IS250.

I was about to get a BMW 328i, but the sales people there at Stevens Creek BMW were total ****! They are all a bunch or stuckup pigs who refuses to even attempt to sell you a car if you don't look rich enough or you look too young.

With that aside, I did some research between the 2. BMW has a poor record in reliability. Do a search on JD Power and see that it's as bad as Volkswagon. If I was gonna dish out 40 Grand on an entry luxury car, it's gotta last long for me.

Sure it has 4 yours maintenance warranty, but when that runs out. Drop you pants and grab your ankles... My neighbor traded in her BMW for a Toyota Camry because something breaks every month and this time, it gonna cost her $2000 to repair her Bimmer.

If reliability is not on top of your list, then test drive both to see which one you like better.
Surprisingly, the 328i is actually very reliable. The 335 on the other hand is a whole different story.

To the OP, if it was a choice between a 328i vs IS250 I would get the 328i hands down. But I would also suggest test driving the G37.
Old 02-22-11, 05:57 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 350...I have a 250 wish I had the power but I dont. Also not to happy about carbon build-up. Link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html Good luck with your decision
Old 02-22-11, 05:58 PM
Devorkion
Driver

If you want to enjoy your car, buy the Lexus.

BMW's are a NIGHTMARE to maintain.

Buddy of mine is a master technician at a local BMW dealer, he talked me out of buying a BMW....and included customer tickets to prove it.

I'm glad I went with my Lexus IS350.
Old 02-22-11, 06:07 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One point in favor of the BMW that few think about....
The Club support is absolutely amazing. You will find meets everywhere for you to attend (And I'm not talking about just hooking up in some parking).
Both BMW and Audi take the owners and ownership to a completely different level than you will find with any Japanese import. Not only is your summer planned out for road trips (cars are about "driving" after all) but the clubs are nationally backed by the automaker and they have the clout to rent race tracks in your area several times a year just to go meet and play with your fellow Euro drivers (for example, Audi in my area does track days 4 times each summer).
Anything "European" will get you invites to beerfests and car shows with far more exotic rides that what Japan turns out.

I have to admit that crowd (with many influential people) was a blast to hang with. I still maintain my Audi membership so I can go play, but admit when you are in the mix of Porsche's, Mercedes AMGs, and Audi R/RS series, the snobbery towards asian cars is pretty thick.

Vince
Old 02-22-11, 07:21 PM
RickJames1
Lead Lap

i think i read either online or in a magazine that they did a comparison between the 335i and is350 and the bmw won.
Old 02-22-11, 07:26 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my '06 IS350 is for the valve recall recently. They gave me a 2011 IS250 for a loaner, and it was an absolute turd compared to the 350. The '06 IS350 is rated 306hp, while the 2011 IS250 is only rated 204. You "think" you know how much of a difference 100hp makes? Just wait until you step on the gas. Not hating on any IS250 owners, but my God what a difference! It really is like night and day.
As for BMW, I really do not care for their styling over the last few (six or seven years). I understand that they have hired a new designer, who started with the 5 series, in an effort to bring them back around. All of the BMWs lately have looked like an oversized (over exagerated) fiberglass body on a chassis that is two sizes too small, with 13" wheels. I lost my interest in their styling after 2003, or 2004 (whenever they went with the slopingling lines off of the wheel arches). I know from what I have heard, that this guy has started with an all new design of the 5 series, and the 3 series is next. If you aren't looking at a new model, and aren't looking at something more than five years old, go with the Lexus. The entire cost of maintanence, reliability, and resale arguements are secondary to to how you feel about the car itself.
Old 02-22-11, 07:38 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Slammer1
I had my '06 IS350 is for the valve recall recently. They gave me a 2011 IS250 for a loaner, and it was an absolute turd compared to the 350. The '06 IS350 is rated 306hp, while the 2011 IS250 is only rated 204. You "think" you know how much of a difference 100hp makes? Just wait until you step on the gas. Not hating on any IS250 owners, but my God what a difference! It really is like night and day.
As for BMW, I really do not care for their styling over the last few (six or seven years). I understand that they have hired a new designer, who started with the 5 series, in an effort to bring them back around. All of the BMWs lately have looked like an oversized (over exagerated) fiberglass body on a chassis that is two sizes too small, with 13" wheels. I lost my interest in their styling after 2003, or 2004 (whenever they went with the slopingling lines off of the wheel arches). I know from what I have heard, that this guy has started with an all new design of the 5 series, and the 3 series is next. If you aren't looking at a new model, and aren't looking at something more than five years old, go with the Lexus. The entire cost of maintanence, reliability, and resale arguements are secondary to to how you feel about the car itself.
It's more than just a 102 horsepower difference. The IS350 has a more aggressive final drive ratio that lends itself to stronger low end acceleration.

IS250 acceleration -

IS350 acceleration -

Last edited by syzygy; 02-22-11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 07:51 PM
Trza
Pole Position

This thread is right up my alley! I purchased a E92 2007 328i coupe brand new off the lot in March 2007. I really enjoyed the car and as everyone has stated with BMW's in the past, it was a blast to drive. Best handling car I have ever owned...stock.

My situation changed where I needed the extra doors and instead of sticking with BMW and upgrading to a 335i or xi sedan, I went with the IS350 AWD. Main reason was the reliability...not to beat a dead horse but it seriously was in the shop quite often. I had my ECU reprogrammed and flashed 4 times for the same inssue and just before I sold it I had to get some seals replaced because of leaking. It only had 53 000km's when I sold it.

As well, the Lexus is a much better bang for your buck vehicle. It's true that if you are looking at a decently optioned 328i, you might as well look at IS 350's because they are very similiar in price. A optioned out 335xi sedan was rediculous, didn't even consider it because of the price and obviously my previous experience with the reliability. Here's a quick phot of my 328i coupe.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-22-11, 08:46 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shadowman
Dude... IS250 will eat a Corolla for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used to own a Corolla and Civic so I can feel the difference in my IS250.

I was about to get a BMW 328i, but the sales people there at Stevens Creek BMW were total ****! They are all a bunch or stuckup pigs who refuses to even attempt to sell you a car if you don't look rich enough or you look too young.

With that aside, I did some research between the 2. BMW has a poor record in reliability. Do a search on JD Power and see that it's as bad as Volkswagon. If I was gonna dish out 40 Grand on an entry luxury car, it's gotta last long for me.

Sure it has 4 yours maintenance warranty, but when that runs out. Drop you pants and grab your ankles... My neighbor traded in her BMW for a Toyota Camry because something breaks every month and this time, it gonna cost her $2000 to repair her Bimmer.

If reliability is not on top of your list, then test drive both to see which one you like better.
Could not have said it any better!!!
Old 02-22-11, 09:07 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually drove a '08 328i sedan for a week, as well as a IS250 before deciding on getting the IS250.

The BMW 328i was fun to drive, 230HP & 200lb-ft torque (i think) vs the IS250's 204hp/185lb-ft means a small but noticeable difference in power. The 328i feels sportier with that additional power and maybe because of BMW's suspension even more so but that's about all i liked. Looks wise, i think the IS250 looks much better (especially in pearl white). Interior, hands down, IS250 wins. 328i is so bland on the inside. It feels so cheap, and the material on the steering wheel was flaking (This happened to my friends 328i coupe and my old roomies 335i too). Gas mileage was better on the IS250 too, i do mostly highway driving and squeezed out ~31 mpg on the IS, compared to 27.5 on the BMW (still pretty good tho). Reliability reports put the IS250 above the 328i - not to say its not a reliable car, it's just not as reliable as the IS. Lexus service was the icing on the cake, when i tried to price a BMW it was ALL about how much money you had and if you looked like you could buy the car. When shopping for an IS, my local Lexus dealer took care of me, never doubted me because of my age either.
Old 02-23-11, 06:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XclusiveLC
i like both brands....lately im debating which car should i choose over with.
I like how the way the is models look but the power of 328i

somehow i heard that the is250 is slow as hell just like the upgraded version of corolla is that true? and whats the most common problems with all the is series owners??

what you guys think?? thankss
Most folks have addressed the other points well, but one they didn't-

The Corolla has absolutely nothing in common with the ISx50 other than possibly the coin-holder in each vehicle.

They don't even drive the same pair of wheels.

It'd be like someone telling you the Caddy CTS-V is an upgraded chevy cobalt. They're two unrelated cars made by the same parent company.
Old 02-23-11, 06:26 AM
Peaches79
Rookie

Umm..how about neither! Get a 350 FTW!!!
Old 02-23-11, 06:32 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lease = 328
buy = 250/350

simple. and, the longer your list of options, the closer the 350 will be in price to a similarly equipped 328. if thats the case, then i would remove the 250 from the equation ASAP. b/c if you get a 250 over a 328, you will have some regrets every now and then in terms of the power and handling. the 350 will solve all problems.

Last edited by ThermonMer; 02-23-11 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-23-11, 06:34 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
lease = 328
buy = 250/350

simple.
exactly. BMW is very good if you're leasing, their residuals are very good compare to other German brand. i leased a 2008 535i for 24 trouble free month back in '08 and will do it again if something comes along in the future.
Old 02-23-11, 06:43 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the BMWs actually do not lease as well as Lexus. But IMO, the only way i would consider stepping into a BMW is if it were a lease.

i decided against the 328. the insurance was more than the 250...and the lease payment was MUCH more. the 250 was floating around mid 300s/mo (nothing down), and BMW couldnt even come below 500.

i was ready to sign the day i looked. i told BMW that if they couldnt come within 25% of the lexus pmt, then i would get a 250. when they asked what the pmt was for the 250, they literally laughed in my face and said i couldnt even lease a 128 for that price. i walked - completely condenscending. (and the 250 and 328 had the same sticker value too).

Last edited by ThermonMer; 02-23-11 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: IS250 or bimmer 328i?