IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

stuck between 2 mods. Which one??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 09:12 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you like as what others said...

If you are a music lover and spend a lot of time in your car, go for the Vais Tech.

If you care about the looks, then go for the tails. Afterall, people can't see your Vais Tech. I think the eBay tails doesn't look bad (the one OP posted). It's better than slapping on the Altezza ones.
Old 02-25-11, 09:14 AM
grbs1605
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the tail lights is like getting a tattoo on your back.
Old 02-25-11, 09:25 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Theres actually a thread where someone is comparing IS-F tails and the EBAY LEDs and the majority of them in there were saying the Ebay ones looked better.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
MOST ebay tail lights look cheap. They are usually manufactured in China using cheap materials. If someone had a picture of both next to each other, you can really see the difference. My advice would be to skip the tails (the LED's will probably die or it will let water in sooner or later) and get the Vaistech.
Old 02-25-11, 09:27 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jnguyen87
Theres actually a thread where someone is comparing IS-F tails and the EBAY LEDs and the majority of them in there were saying the Ebay ones looked better.
Looked better as in how the LED's look or look better in terms of overall quality? The LED's may look better, but I haven't seen a quality ebay taillight yet, all my buddies that choose to by them get leaks or the plastic fades before they are even a year old.
Old 02-25-11, 09:27 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Deegee thanks alot man, great info. I think i'll go with the vaistech.
Anyways i was referring to when i plug my ipod in using the AUX cable versus the VML kit. Im sure the VML must sound 10 times better then the AUX cable right? lol

Also I have the OEM tails with redouts, which look good to me already, but i thought the LEDs might be better. I wish you lived closer i would take a look and maybe trade you lol. Which part of texas? Im in okc all the time and we occasionally take trips to dallas.

Originally Posted by Deegee
the Vais DOES make my Ipod sound louder then the radio, but really I can't say it makes it sound better cause I don't listen to my ipod outside my Lexus...

Personally I think the Ebay tails look cheap as hell, they look pretty cool at night cause the LED's n stuff... but during the day they look like Lexus Altezzas TBH... I wish I could go back OEM if anyones willing to trade!!!
Old 02-25-11, 09:36 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And there's the 09+ OEM lights.

If there's nothing wrong with your current tail lights, why not get something new for your car instead of replacing something that already works.
Old 02-25-11, 10:15 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Great point Digital makes, like i said the LED looks kinda cool at night but personally during the day they look kinda after market and cheap... I've yet to have any issues with water or fading, I've had them on since Nov.2010.

I live in SA, TX which i think is like 3 hours away from Dallas...

Although aside from the aesthetics my BIGGEST complain was the wiring harness that they came with needed to be modified slightly to fit the OEM harnesses... I've read in some threads on CL that lexus has two different OEM tail light harnesses which may be the reason some people said that these pluged right in without mods, and others had to mod the ebay sockets to fit oem harnesses...
PS what color is your ride?

Last edited by Deegee; 02-25-11 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 10:20 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Deegee thanks alot man, great info. I think i'll go with the vaistech.
Anyways i was referring to when i plug my ipod in using the AUX cable versus the VML kit. Im sure the VML must sound 10 times better then the AUX cable right? lol

Also I have the OEM tails with redouts, which look good to me already, but i thought the LEDs might be better. I wish you lived closer i would take a look and maybe trade you lol. Which part of texas? Im in okc all the time and we occasionally take trips to dallas.
If you are connecting your iPod to the car's AUX port via the headphone jack (as opposed to a dock connector) there will be a big difference in quality (assuming your MP3s are high bitrate of course). If you have Mark Levinson, the difference is even more pronounced because the sound is digital all the way to the amp in that case.
Old 02-25-11, 10:23 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
If you are connecting your iPod to the car's AUX port via the headphone jack (as opposed to a dock connector) there will be a big difference in quality (assuming your MP3s are high bitrate of course). If you have Mark Levinson, the difference is even more pronounced because the sound is digital all the way to the amp in that case.
Yeah what he said, sorry I was confused at the original question.
Old 02-25-11, 10:41 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Ok, I think i'll go with the vaistech. I was a little worried about the instl since everyone said its the biggest B**** to take out those upper vents.

My car is crystal white btw

Originally Posted by Deegee
^ Great point Digital makes, like i said the LED looks kinda cool at night but personally during the day they look kinda after market and cheap... I've yet to have any issues with water or fading, I've had them on since Nov.2010.

I live in SA, TX which i think is like 3 hours away from Dallas...

Although aside from the aesthetics my BIGGEST complain was the wiring harness that they came with needed to be modified slightly to fit the OEM harnesses... I've read in some threads on CL that lexus has two different OEM tail light harnesses which may be the reason some people said that these pluged right in without mods, and others had to mod the ebay sockets to fit oem harnesses...
PS what color is your ride?
Old 02-25-11, 01:12 PM
ISX50URRA
Driver

I would go with the Tails ftw. u cant go wrong with looks!! =)
Old 02-25-11, 01:34 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

lol! ive seen many people on here go wrong with their looks..

Originally Posted by ISX50URRA
I would go with the Tails ftw. u cant go wrong with looks!! =)
Old 02-25-11, 03:32 PM
pratik_10
Pole Position

id go with the vais tech the tails look good the way they came. plus you will notice the vais tech more and ur goin to want to keepin playing around with it.