IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Halogen to factory HID headlight retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 09:54 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Halogen to factory HID headlight retrofit?

I'm pretty sure this has been successfully done before by some members, but I can't seem to find any info on it. Is this something that would be plug n play, as in:

Halogen headlight housing/halogen bulbs/halogen wiring harness swapped for Factory HID headlight housing/D4S bulbs/ballasts/HID wiring harness? Or would some additional rewiring be required?

Last edited by Thinktwice; 02-25-11 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 09:58 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

No point of doing this too me anyways. If your going to retrofit just use your non HID headlight with some other parts to try and get a better cut-off line with an plug and play HID kit. Try these guy there from NJ http://shop.lightwerkz.net/index.php

Last edited by laobo979; 02-25-11 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 10:47 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

I was considering something like that, but it wouldn't have auto leveling like the OEM HID headlights do. Beam pattern is my main reason for wanting to upgrade and I know a custom job would be the ideal way to go. But I really just want the factory look with the auto leveling and 4100K color even if its just a small upgrade in terms of beam pattern over what I currently have. But thanks for that site they're actually somewhat close to me.
Old 02-25-11, 11:05 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just so you know the ASF(or AFS) whatever is called wont work. You'll need 4 sensors for each wheel + probably some headlight ECU(not ballasts). The lights itself will work though.
Old 02-25-11, 11:14 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Just so you know the ASF(or AFS) whatever is called wont work. You'll need 4 sensors for each wheel + probably some headlight ECU(not ballasts). The lights itself will work though.
I thought that was something different than auto leveling? I was just referring to the thing that keeps the headlights level so you don't blind oncoming traffic when you hit a bump or hilly roads. I don't really care for the thing that turns the beams when you turn the steering wheel.
Old 02-25-11, 11:21 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

Auto leveling uses one sensor in the front and one in the rear, plus the computer. AFS turns and uses the steering sensor/speed sensors.

Jeff
Old 02-25-11, 12:32 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

To be honest there not much of a diff between oem headlight hid or none hid. They still suck compare to other cars. You spend alot more money than it's worth. When you can just put a hid kit in your headlights. Auto tilt not big deal since most of use who lower our ride manually adjust the headlights.

Last edited by laobo979; 02-25-11 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-25-11, 05:18 PM
IS300_white
Rookie

ThinkTwice,
Your best bet is to buy an aftermarket HID kit to install in your OEM headlights. For three reasons I can think of:

1. The aftermarket HID kits are usually cheaper than the OEM HIDs.
2. The aftermarket HID kits usually fit right into your OEM headlights without mods.
3. The aftermarket HID kits don't affect your AFS or Auto-Leveling.

I know AAC (www.aacstyle.com) used to sell HID kits for the IS. The only thing you may need to do with the aftermarket HID kits is to install a ballast in the engine compartment.
Old 02-25-11, 05:40 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS300_white
ThinkTwice,
Your best bet is to buy an aftermarket HID kit to install in your OEM headlights. For three reasons I can think of:

1. The aftermarket HID kits are usually cheaper than the OEM HIDs.
2. The aftermarket HID kits usually fit right into your OEM headlights without mods.
3. The aftermarket HID kits don't affect your AFS or Auto-Leveling.

I know AAC (www.aacstyle.com) used to sell HID kits for the IS. The only thing you may need to do with the aftermarket HID kits is to install a ballast in the engine compartment.
The only thing is I've had an HID kit installed for almost a year now and I hate the beam pattern. There are obvious dark spots and it looks crappy IMO. I've tried adjusting both lights to no avail. I believe the factory HID projectors will at least be an improvement over the pathetic halogen ones.

I had a loaner '11 ES350 when I had recall work done recently and I was envious over the factory HID lighting that thing had. It may not be the best to some standards, but it was miles better than my current setup.
Old 02-25-11, 05:59 PM
IS300_white
Rookie

Then your best bet is to buy OEM HID projector headlights and replace your old headlights. Might as well go with what makes you happy. I believe they are plug and play as well. Try Sewell Lexus, I believe they are vendors at my.is and ClubLexus.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2009/2364.html

or try out the 2011 HID headlights.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/2411.html

Just to let you know ...they're expensive.
Old 02-26-11, 01:04 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Auto levelling really isn't that big of a deal. If you're going to spend the money, just get a good retrofit done.
Old 04-28-11, 11:09 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brociouz
Auto levelling really isn't that big of a deal. If you're going to spend the money, just get a good retrofit done.
I couldn't agree more, but who does retrofits that has experience with our Lexus lights?
Old 04-28-11, 11:22 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

I am having Lightwerkz do mine. I managed to stumble across a very cheap set of s2k projectors, but I'm really busy (ugh...when am I not), so I don't really have that much time to spend on them. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-29-11, 12:57 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kumquatism
I am having Lightwerkz do mine. I managed to stumble across a very cheap set of s2k projectors, but I'm really busy (ugh...when am I not), so I don't really have that much time to spend on them. I'll let you know how it goes.
Please please please let me know how it goes with them. If you end up being satisfied I will use them as well. Heck I'll even use you as a referal.
I'm PM-ing you my number. I've been trying to find a company that is familiar with our IS heads that will do retro's and guarantee their work.
Thanks for your help in keeping me/this forum updated on your experience.
Old 04-29-11, 06:35 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Please please please let me know how it goes with them. If you end up being satisfied I will use them as well. Heck I'll even use you as a referal.
I'm PM-ing you my number. I've been trying to find a company that is familiar with our IS heads that will do retro's and guarantee their work.
Thanks for your help in keeping me/this forum updated on your experience.
I inquired about having mine done by Lightwerkz before I got the 2011MY headlights. I was also thinking about getting the S2000 projectors. Apparently, they've done 2IS lights before.

http://www.lightwerkz.net/

Quick Reply: Halogen to factory HID headlight retrofit?