IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

junction produce rope (fake?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 12:44 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow let's all breath for a second lol.

So the rope is braided rice straw rope used for ritual purification or ward off evil spirits in the Shinto religion.

Why would you want that if you do not practice Shinto? It's like a Muslim having a rosary. I have a rosary hanging from my rear view, but it's not for "style" but to guard me while I'm on the road. So are they used for decorations or for spiritual protection?

A lot of VIP cars have these but how does it correlate with the VIP style?
Old 03-02-11, 12:50 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
Why would you want that if you do not practice Shinto? It's like a Muslim having a rosary. I have a rosary hanging from my rear view, but it's not for "style" but to guard me while I'm on the road. So are they used for decorations or for spiritual protection?

A lot of VIP cars have these but how does it correlate with the VIP style?
Its just something that made its way into that particular style of car scene. It just spread across the world like any other fad out there.
Old 03-02-11, 01:00 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Ahh ok. It's just like me having a Domo on my driver side windshield
Old 03-02-11, 01:04 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I can now respect, after reading "The Meaning of Ropes", that in some religions/belief systems these ropes can have true meaning/purpose to some people.

But I pose this question to those of you for whom this has real meaning: don't you feel like a tuning company offering these ropes for $300+ is simply price gouging you and exploiting your beliefs for a profit? I'd be none too pleased (nor would I ever purchase it) if an American tuning company sold rosaries to hang from your mirror for $300..
Old 03-02-11, 01:05 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE

its homedepot rope with connecters at the end.
Old 03-02-11, 01:36 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
Ahh ok. It's just like me having a Domo on my driver side windshield
Yup

Originally Posted by calvin2376
So I can now respect, after reading "The Meaning of Ropes", that in some religions/belief systems these ropes can have true meaning/purpose to some people.

But I pose this question to those of you for whom this has real meaning: don't you feel like a tuning company offering these ropes for $300+ is simply price gouging you and exploiting your beliefs for a profit? I'd be none too pleased (nor would I ever purchase it) if an American tuning company sold rosaries to hang from your mirror for $300..
there are fakes out there, but the company that originally produced the product is from the motherland where the culture/religion originated. I dont think that there are many folks on this board who actually have a problem with this.
Old 03-02-11, 03:00 PM
Micaiah

Originally Posted by fknISC808
there are fakes out there, but the company that originally produced the product is from the motherland where the culture/religion originated. I dont think that there are many folks on this board who actually have a problem with this.
Quick story here.

When I started training MMA, I had to earn stripes on my belt before getting promoted to the next belt. These stripes were put on the ends of your current belt for each test you took, representing the steps you earned them for. They were of different colors, each representing your knowledge of certain key aspects of the art.

Upon receipt, it had to be quiet. Then you would bow. The other students bowed their heads but watched as you were honored by the Shihan. As the stripes were placed, a feeling of pride, honor and respect for the Shihan came over you as you know how hard you worked to earn this stripe. Then you would get on your knees, bow to Shihan, get up, bow again. He would then ask you to turn around to face the students lined up in order. They would all bow to you and give you a chant of respect. You bow back.

Dang that felt so good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then one day when I was doing paper work for Shihan's wife I opened a cabinet and found a bunch of colored duct tape that were spilling out of an Ace Hardware bag......

And I thought those stripes were blessed by a 10 kyu Shihan in Japan.

*sigh*

Perhaps these ropes actually were blessed if they came from Japan. They could have been. Japanese are VERY cultural in these type of things. Maybe the fakes are coming from Ace Hardware.

Oh....and my Shihan isn't Japanese.

Last edited by Micaiah; 03-02-11 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-02-11, 03:16 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

^did you practice karate or actually mma?

just from reading what you wrote it screams mcdojo to me. a traditional martial arts school passing themselves off as mma. different coloured stripes, other students bowing while getting belts, etc.
Old 03-02-11, 03:16 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha micaiah cool story!
Old 03-02-11, 03:40 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
^did you practice karate or actually mma?

just from reading what you wrote it screams mcdojo to me. a traditional martial arts school passing themselves off as mma. different coloured stripes, other students bowing while getting belts, etc.
never heard of a MMA gym giving out stripes...
Old 03-02-11, 04:40 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

She probably meant Martial Arts but got confused with the popular sport of Mixed Martial Arts. Now I know not to mess with her when I see her though
Old 03-02-11, 05:08 PM
Micaiah

I'm sorry, I'll be more clear. I started my training in Okinawan Karate and moved onto MMA. Because a majority of my training is MMA I call it that. My apologies for the confusion.
Old 03-02-11, 06:02 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

I don't like those ropes. Definitely wouldn't pay $100 for them either.
just my .02
Old 03-02-11, 08:56 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Quick story here.

When I started training MMA, I had to earn stripes on my belt before getting promoted to the next belt. These stripes were put on the ends of your current belt for each test you took, representing the steps you earned them for. They were of different colors, each representing your knowledge of certain key aspects of the art.

Upon receipt, it had to be quiet. Then you would bow. The other students bowed their heads but watched as you were honored by the Shihan. As the stripes were placed, a feeling of pride, honor and respect for the Shihan came over you as you know how hard you worked to earn this stripe. Then you would get on your knees, bow to Shihan, get up, bow again. He would then ask you to turn around to face the students lined up in order. They would all bow to you and give you a chant of respect. You bow back.

Dang that felt so good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then one day when I was doing paper work for Shihan's wife I opened a cabinet and found a bunch of colored duct tape that were spilling out of an Ace Hardware bag......

And I thought those stripes were blessed by a 10 kyu Shihan in Japan.

*sigh*

Perhaps these ropes actually were blessed if they came from Japan. They could have been. Japanese are VERY cultural in these type of things. Maybe the fakes are coming from Ace Hardware.

Oh....and my Shihan isn't Japanese.
When I did TKD, I felt like the stripes was just another reason for the school to charge me more money before moving on to a higher belt color...bastids.
Old 03-02-11, 09:43 PM
pli
Lead Lap

its a JDM fad.

Quick Reply: junction produce rope (fake?)