IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID fogs stopped turning on

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 11:01 AM
Husni08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID fogs stopped turning on

So last night I noticed one of my fogs flickering on and off due to a loose connection so I shut them off. When I got to my house I turned them to see what the problem was I turned them on and the passenger side fog was still flickering bad and before I can do anything about it they both shut off together. Since then I haven't been able to get them to come on. I'm not sure if there's a fuse for fogs but could it possibly have burnt out? Or is this something more problematic?
Old 03-04-11, 03:05 PM
sweetbird
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check the fuse first its a 10 under the hood, same thing happend to my fogs changed the fuse and it fixed the problem.
Old 03-04-11, 03:25 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

There is a fuse for the fogs. Most likely the fuse blew cause of the loose wire shorting out. Check that first and let us know.
Old 03-04-11, 08:05 PM
Husni08
Pole Position

So I just removed all three 10 fuses and they look fine but I don't know if there's more than one fuse box. The one I checked was under my glove box? I'm gonna check out the ballasts and bulbs tomorrow but I still find it really weird that they just shut off at the same time for that to be the cause.
Old 03-05-11, 10:59 PM
Husni08
Pole Position

Anyone? I'd like to get this taken care of in the. a.m.
Old 03-05-11, 11:16 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

There are 4 fuse compartments. 1 on the passenger side under the glove box, one on the driver side under the steering wheel/instrument panel, 1 in the engine compartment on the passenger side (near the battery), and a 4th in the engine compartment on the driver side. You'll want to check the 2 in the engine compartment as well if you're hunting down a blown fuse.

This is the engine fuse compartment on the passenger side:

You'll want to check fuse #8 corresponding to that diagram.

This is the engine fuse compartment on the driver side:

You'll want to check fuse #9 and #21 corresponding to that diagram.

Last edited by Lexitegra; 03-05-11 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-06-11, 12:07 AM
mwolff
Driver School Candidate

Default No headlights!

I just encountered a very similar problem this evening. My headlights wouldn't turn on, only the fog. But as I was driving home they would click to a dimmer light and then off completely. So no headlights whatsoever. I could turn them to the off position and back on and they would stay for a few minutes but very dim but would shut completely off after a few minutes. Interesting enough my brights worked just fine. I'm wondering if this too could be a fuse or some sort of relay? Would love some input thanks to all.
Mindy

Last edited by mwolff; 03-06-11 at 12:09 AM. Reason: no model
Old 03-06-11, 12:10 AM
mwolff
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention it's a 2008 IS 250
Old 03-06-11, 12:26 AM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mwolff
I just encountered a very similar problem this evening. My headlights wouldn't turn on, only the fog. But as I was driving home they would click to a dimmer light and then off completely. So no headlights whatsoever. I could turn them to the off position and back on and they would stay for a few minutes but very dim but would shut completely off after a few minutes. Interesting enough my brights worked just fine. I'm wondering if this too could be a fuse or some sort of relay? Would love some input thanks to all.
Mindy
It shouldn't be a blown fuse if you can turn them on (even though they dim and shut off). Are your headlight bulbs halogen or HID? Have you installed anything that would draw extra current (sound system, in-car entertainment etc)?
Old 03-06-11, 12:35 AM
mwolff
Driver School Candidate

The headlights are the original stock lights. I mistakenly called the headlights, fog lights. It's actually the headlights. There are 2 in eack headlamp, if you follow me. The car is completely stock. Funny thing is I locked my purse in the trunk with my keys tonight (don't ask!)When the guy unlocked my car the alarm did go off. I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it but thought I would mention it. Now I have had one of the headlights out for about a month ( the main big bulb) not sure if there is a connection to either one of those things. I would think if the fuse was out it would not turn back on,not even for a few minutes once it's blown it's blown. Go figure! Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 03-06-11, 10:45 AM
Husni08
Pole Position

Thanks for the info Lexitegra! Will check it out once I get my lazy *** up.
Old 03-06-11, 01:05 PM
Husni08
Pole Position

Okay so I found the burnt fuse in the driver side engine fuse box. I went and bought a box of five fuses and replaced them. As soon as I turn them on the fuse blows :/ it happened twice already. Suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-06-11, 01:50 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Husni08
Okay so I found the burnt fuse in the driver side engine fuse box. I went and bought a box of five fuses and replaced them. As soon as I turn them on the fuse blows :/ it happened twice already. Suggestions? Thanks
this same thing happened to a family member of mine, his ballast was f-ed up, so i order a new set and no problem.
Old 03-06-11, 02:30 PM
VPIS350
Driver

If your HID fogs keep blowing fuses its the HID kit. I had this problem twice!! One kit from xentec, the next from xenondepot. They worked for a while but eventually blew fuses. I finally ordered a slim ballast kit from ddmtuning.com and its been holding up really well. Gave me the perfect deep yellow I wanted. U could just replace the ballast alone but a whole new kit would probably cost about the same. And then that way u can have spare parts for urself or for other fellow HID friends. HAHAHA!
Old 03-06-11, 05:17 PM
Husni08
Pole Position

I got my ballasts from xentec. I guess they just earned a spot on my ****** List. Thanks for the info though, I'll put the order in soon.

Quick Reply: HID fogs stopped turning on