IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How do you handle scratches/marks on your car from the dealer/shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 09:02 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How do you handle scratches/marks on your car from the dealer/shop?

I'm fairly meticulous about my car, and definitely am extremely careful around it so as not to scratch it or mark it in any way. And I always do a walkaround when I get out to my car in the morning, keeping a close eye on the car, so that I notice new scratches/marks as soon as they occur.

I've had this happen a few times, but I just noticed it again and is especially noticeable this time. My car was at the dealer for some warranty repair work, and when I picked it up I noticed 2-3 scratches on the trunk lid right above where the latch is. I know they were working in that area, and the scratches weren't there before. My car's obsidian, so scratches show up very clearly. I'm sure many people wouldn't notice or care about them, but I like to keep my car as pristine as possible.

They're not gouge-marks and could be fixed with some touch-up, but here's my question to you. How do you handle these situations? Specifically, when you get your car back from the dealer and you notice new marks/scratches.
Old 03-04-11, 09:23 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Well, you could tell them about the scratches, but most of the time they wont do anything about it because there's no proof they weren't there before. Unless you took a picture of every panel of the car before taking it in, they aren't going to take responsibility for the scratches.

Now some places will admit fault and repair the damage just to keep you as a happy customer. I had this situation once with the Honda dealer on my old car, they scratched the trunk in the car wash.....offered me a free detail to make up for it and ordered me a bottle of touch up paint. I was happy with that

Scratches are going to happen though. I know how you feel, i'm meticulous with my cars too. I do the walk around everytime i get to the car as well lol. It's one of those things you can't stop from happening though. Even regular handling by the dealer is going to cause some nicks eventually.
Old 03-04-11, 10:21 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Report it to the dealer ASAP. The longer you stall, the more they are going to deny it.
Old 03-04-11, 11:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shadowman
Report it to the dealer ASAP. The longer you stall, the more they are going to deny it.
It's probably too late already. The dealership is not going to take any responsibility for it after its left their lot already.
Old 03-05-11, 12:35 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean like the time when I brought him in for warranty work on the windshield seal and I walked around and said specifically "I want you to see that this car is pristine. No dents, no scratches ANYWHERE." and had him sign my statement on the work order?
And then when the car was driven out to me and I saw some new scratches near the windshield and took a breath so deep my head got dizzy?
You mean when I turned all shades of red, blue and purple while I tried to hold back my angst?

And then I tried to hold in my tears because my perfect baby was no longer a virgin but failed and the tears started to well up in my eyes?

And when I said I want to know who DAHELL did this but they would not tell me because ...well, for his safety they didn't want me to know?

You mean when I told them that this was unacceptable and I won't leave until this is fixed??

You mean the time when they sent out TWO managers to reassure me that it will be taken care of NOW to my satisfaction, "we promise"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, ummmm......... that's how I handled it. Micaiah's okay now. He's my pretty baby.

Last edited by Micaiah; 03-05-11 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-05-11, 06:08 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...I'll give credit where credit is due...I thought I was crazy about my car!!!

Originally Posted by Micaiah

You mean like the time when I brought him in for warranty work on the windshield seal and I walked around and said specifically "I want you to see that this car is pristine. No dents, no scratches ANYWHERE." and had him sign my statement on the work order?
And then when the car was driven out to me and I saw some new scratches near the windshield and took a breath so deep my head got dizzy?
You mean when I turned all shades of red, blue and purple while I tried to hold back my angst?

And then I tried to hold in my tears because my perfect baby was no longer a virgin but failed and the tears started to well up in my eyes?

And when I said I want to know who DAHELL did this but they would not tell me because ...well, for his safety they didn't want me to know?

You mean when I told them that this was unacceptable and I won't leave until this is fixed??

You mean the time when they sent out TWO managers to reassure me that it will be taken care of NOW to my satisfaction, "we promise"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, ummmm......... that's how I handled it. Micaiah's okay now. He's my pretty baby.
Old 03-05-11, 06:24 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you gotta check it before you leave dealership. after you leave the lot they are probably gonna deny it and they have good reason to bec it could happen anywhere.
Old 03-05-11, 06:24 AM
nonopr01
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in any good quality dealer they will do a physical inventory of any scratches before you leave the car in their hands. They usually use the work order for these.
I guess your dealer is a crappy one since they are not doing it. Plus they are not protecting your car against the work they do. If I were you I will go back to them and tell them what you feel and make them fix it. Next time you take it I am sure they will implement the around the car inspection
Old 03-05-11, 06:39 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer does an INSANE very thorough inspection of the beat up loaners they give out each time I get one. They have sheets and diagrams to check off...it makes sense but it's a bit much for a car that they don't even wash/detail when they're returned...it always makes me laugh. I've never had a problem with my car there other then little marks or things that usually just rub off. But I'd be pissed if they did something and I knew I had to stare at it everyday. I got in my car there the other day and seat the had been moved ALL the way back and had a major gangster lean going...I'm sure one of the service guys took it out. It's always hard leaving your car in other people's hands but you just have to do it sometimes. I've learned to live with it.

Last edited by DexRox512; 03-05-11 at 06:42 AM.