FiLtHyGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man my dad has the is250 6 speed it a bit slow imo hahaha
Old 03-07-11, 01:49 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not exactly a slow car, but I wouldn't call it fast either. It just depends on where you're coming from and what you're used to driving. I started with an old '93 Infiniti G20 then got a Scion tC before getting my IS250MT, and I don't consider it slow at all. Yes, there are faster cars out there (points fingers at IS350), but you can't miss what you never had right?
There's just something really engaging about shifting through gears that you can't really feel through an automatic. If you're coming from 4 cylinder cars, IMO the 250MT is plenty fine. If you're used to more agile and powerful cars, I would probably recommend the IS350.
Old 03-07-11, 05:43 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't really understand why this is such a debated, contentious question on the forums. I tackled this same question when buying my IS about a month ago. It's one of the few questions you'll encounter that can be distilled down so simply, at which point you then decide based on personal tastes which is best for you. There are only two considerations here:

1) Price
2) Power, or manual transmission?

That's about it. The cars are pretty much identical except for the engine. Even fuel economy's pretty much a wash; they're close enough that your driving style is going to make far more difference in what fuel economy you get. Price is the only other consideration, but if you're deciding between the two, it seems both are in your price range.

I was first looking at a few 3-Series when I saw an IS250 on the lot and decided to try it. I liked it better in every single dimension except one: it was far, far too slow. So then I found an IS350, and it had plenty of power, more than enough to satisfy my tastes, so I bought it. So it seems like the thought process goes:

First: Do I want a 2IS over all the other cars out there?
Then: Which do I personally value more, a manual transmission (IS250 M/T), or power (IS350)?
Done. Purchase.

Where's the mystery here?

I ended up getting an '07 IS350 and I love it. I got it because personally, I valued the power and speed over a manual transmission, especially because I drive in traffic and parallel park every day. I like manual cars, but personally I can't enjoy an IS250 even with M/T because it's too slow for my tastes.

I personally don't think the "it's a luxury car, not a race car" argument holds water as a justification for purchasing the IS250 over the IS350 because the IS350 is exactly as much luxury as the IS250, but also has the power to make it a fast car and allow it to go toe-to-toe with performance cars like the S4 and 335i. Anyone who considered both the IS250 and IS350 and ultimately purchased one of them necessarily decided between the two of them either based on the criteria of price, or power vs. M/T.

Last edited by calvin2376; 03-07-11 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 05:49 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a MT 250 and coming frrom a 160HP Civic with a MT... I enjoy my 250. Although some times I wish it was a bit faster honestly I can't say I wouldn't enjoy the extra 100HP from the 350 even though its AUTO. If i would have known more about this type of car before I purchased it I would of definitly gone 350... But the price was right and to find a MT6sp LEXUS was rare as it is i decided to go with it. Some days I regret it though.
The following users liked this post:
eddysoares (04-14-19)
Old 03-07-11, 07:14 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I work in oil and gas industry. This summer, the lowest gas might be $5/gal. Just saying.

I love my IS250MT btw.
Old 03-07-11, 08:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by prankster
I work in oil and gas industry. This summer, the lowest gas might be $5/gal. Just saying.

I love my IS250MT btw.
It also might be $3 or less, since there's no sane economic reason for it to get anywhere near $5. It's only spiked the last few weeks due to panicky idiots who haven't noticed the actual supply of oil is more than adequate.

But those really concerned about mileage should get an automatic 250... since it's superior to the manual for mpg. Just saying
Old 03-07-11, 08:19 AM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
My 6 speed manual is a bit rare, but lacks the power of the 350. I went into it knowing I wasn't going to race this car.I would have bought an EVO if I wanted that! This is a luxury car, not a race car.
OP - listen to what this guy is saying, he made the most sense.

And more hp does not always mean better. There are more slow cars on the road than fast cars. And they seem to be doing fine on the road. No issues with merging or changing lane.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-11, 08:21 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It also might be $3 or less, since there's no sane economic reason for it to get anywhere near $5. It's only spiked the last few weeks due to panicky idiots who haven't noticed the actual supply of oil is more than adequate.

But those really concerned about mileage should get an automatic 250... since it's superior to the manual for mpg. Just saying
With the current state of Libya? Hmm... We'll see. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay $5/gal. But at the same time, more potential bonus from my company. Not bad.

I was implying IS250 got better MPG than IS350. Yes, if you are worry about MPG, get an automatic. However, people in Texas are not concerned with MPG... to some extent. Just saying
Old 03-07-11, 08:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by prankster
With the current state of Libya? Hmm... We'll see. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay $5/gal. But at the same time, more potential bonus from my company. Not bad.

I was implying IS250 got better MPG than IS350. Yes, if you are worry about MPG, get an automatic. However, people in Texas are not concerned with MPG... to some extent. Just saying
Libya, which produces about 2% of the worlds oil, and nearly 0 of it goes to the US... and whose entire production could be replaced in the short term from other OPEC countries (and would be)... yeah.

Seriously, the only thing driving up prices right now are panicky idiots who don't bother to understand any of the economics involved.

That's not to say a disruption in Libya oil supply shouldn't have any impact on oil/gas pricing, it should... but a quite small one as markets adjust supply from other sources while the situation there resolves itself. Nothing near the crap we're seeing now from the chicken littles of the markets.

Now, if Saudi or Canada suddenly suffer a revolution that greatly disrupts their oil production, that's a real problem you might wanna wake me up for. But Libya? it's short-term panicky crap.

Anyway... back to topic... the mileage difference from 250 manual to 350 auto is pretty tiny... (about 5%) versus a 50% power difference.

In the end- if the 250 is not ENTIRELY fast enough for you, don't buy it. There's nothing you can do to make it much faster. Get a 350.

if it is entirely fast enough for you then great, no reason to spend $4000 more on power you don't care about... then get the auto or manual 250 depending on if you have a clutch fetish or not.

Just understand the manual gives you worse mileage than the auto, and is generally not a great example of the breed... (I've seen at least half a dozen folks having to get a major repair done to their manual 250 transmission... 0 having that issue with the auto).

(personally I still find manuals annoying to drive in traffic, and pretty much anywhere from slightly more annoying to neutral outside of traffic... and that's coming from somebody who drives one moderately often as my wifes car is a manual SC (a much smoother and nicer one than the manual in the 250)).
Old 03-07-11, 10:49 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Well, those "idiots" who made that forecast are experts in energy industry and the most notable one is a former President of Shell. That forecast was made at the beginning of this year way before Libya's crisis. They took into account every parameter: inflation, economic rebound, etc.

This is just a forecast. Either you use this info for your financial plan or leave it. From where I work right now, this forecast is coming closer to reality. It's not summer yet but here in Houston, avg. gas price is $3.40/gal (approx.). Houston is one of major cities with the lowest avg. gas price.

I was just trying to give heads up for people who want to buy new cars so they can put this into consideration as well. No harm intended.

Libya, which produces about 2% of the worlds oil, and nearly 0 of it goes to the US... and whose entire production could be replaced in the short term from other OPEC countries (and would be)... yeah.

Seriously, the only thing driving up prices right now are panicky idiots who don't bother to understand any of the economics involved.

That's not to say a disruption in Libya oil supply shouldn't have any impact on oil/gas pricing, it should... but a quite small one as markets adjust supply from other sources while the situation there resolves itself. Nothing near the crap we're seeing now from the chicken littles of the markets.

Now, if Saudi or Canada suddenly suffer a revolution that greatly disrupts their oil production, that's a real problem you might wanna wake me up for. But Libya? it's short-term panicky crap.
Old 03-07-11, 10:57 AM
Calviin
Lexus Test Driver

350, i regret my 6 speed.
Old 03-07-11, 11:13 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the IS250, aren't they all 6 speed?
Old 03-07-11, 11:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vital
for the IS250, aren't they all 6 speed?
yeah, so are the 350s... but some folks still assume saying "x speed" means manual
Old 03-07-11, 12:13 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, so are the 350s... but some folks still assume saying "x speed" means manual
Hahah thank you Kurtz, this has always pissed me off.
Old 03-07-11, 12:22 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

it's definitely a fun car to drive

if you want a fast car, go with 350

Quick Reply: IS250 6 sp or IS350