IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 09:26 AM
b4k4kun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight questions

So after trolling around the forums for quite the while, I think I've come to a few conclusions and questions about the headlight housing. Please correct me when I'm wrong.

I have an IS250 with factory HIDs.

The headlight housing consists of 3 swappable bulbs: the HID bulb, the DRL, which is also the hi-beams at full power, and the small parking light in the corner of the spot where the hi-beams are.

To change the HID to a different color, one would just simply buy a new D4S bulb, rather than buying a whole kit.

The DRL/hi-beams can be changed out for either another halogen (nokya and luminous come to mind) or into LED with a module.

The parking light is easily changed into an LED light, and various guides(that i'm too lazy to dig out) show the quality difference between different LEDs.

Under stock conditions, only the DRLs light up during the day, whereas when night falls, the HIDs are the ones on, along with the parking light. fog lights also turn on only when the low beams are on.
Now, my questions are primarily about the DRL.

Halogens are the easiest to use, but I've read that many people change theirs into LEDs, and with the use of the module it eliminates flickering. The LEDs are also running at full power at all times, so there is no difference between DRL and hi beam modes?

How good would the output be of the high beams, as compared to stock? LEDs are bright, but don't really spread their light well, as noted from the LED parking light guide.

What would happen if one swapped the halogen to HID? Would it actually work, or would there be any consequences?
Also, it's not the headlight, but for fog lights, I've been thinking of swapping to HIDs. Then looking at either the v-leds or the ijdmtoys website, they also mentioned LED! Same question of how well the spread is.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone's input :]
Old 03-08-11, 09:47 AM
IS2FINE
Driver School Candidate

My own general rule for 2IS's

DRL - Swap for LED w/o the module. The flickering is very mesmerizing from a distance. I remember when i first spoted them i knew i had to have them.

HID blub - Stock 4300k is pathetic. Should be swapped out for a 6000k, any higher would be tacky.

Fog Lights - I am a big fan of yellow. So i replaced mine with yellow bulbs. HID's in fog lights are very very tacky and ruin the flow of the IS.

Last edited by IS2FINE; 03-08-11 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-08-11, 11:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

LED in your DRL would make the DRL look "better" but make the light output utterly useless as a highbeam. Swapping the DRL/highbeam for HIDs would have the problem that you can't run an HID at "partial power" for the DRL function, and your flash-to-pass usage would be bad for the HID as well since turning HIDs on/off quickly is bad for em.

I addressed this by simply having my DRLs turned off and keeping the normal high beams.

The stock low beam HIDs are 4300k. Which produces the most useful light output possible. Anything higher might look "better" in some folks views but will produce less useful light to see by.
Old 03-08-11, 02:03 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I thought HIDs without a projecter were illegal . The DRL/High beam portion of our cars are only reflective (no projector) right? So HIDs would not be an option at all even if we could address the partial power for DRLs.

To the OP, Welcome! I agree that 5000k or 6000k is a much better temperature color for HID low beams. And as far as fogs, I like them yellow. I don't really have a preference for how this color is achieved (either yellow halogen bulb or a 3000k HID).

Any pics of the car to share with the rest of us?
Old 03-08-11, 02:22 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
^^^ I thought HIDs without a projecter were illegal . The DRL/High beam portion of our cars are only reflective (no projector) right? So HIDs would not be an option at all even if we could address the partial power for DRLs.

To the OP, Welcome! I agree that 5000k or 6000k is a much better temperature color for HID low beams. And as far as fogs, I like them yellow. I don't really have a preference for how this color is achieved (either yellow halogen bulb or a 3000k HID).

Any pics of the car to share with the rest of us?
If HID's without a projector housings were illegal there would be many older luxury cars driving on the road that were illegal to drive which is obviously not the case.
Old 03-08-11, 02:25 PM
jmhtx
Rookie

Can anyone explain why so many IS owners replace the yellow DRL light with a White/Blue LED and the white fog with a yellow bulb?
Old 03-08-11, 03:02 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by my95tsi
If HID's without a projector housings were illegal there would be many older luxury cars driving on the road that were illegal to drive which is obviously not the case.
Well, I meant to have an aftermarket HID kit in a reflective halogen housing. So it's legal to do this? I thought that without a way to focus the beam, it scatters light everywhere and could potentially blind other drivers .

I could definitely be wrong, I am by no means an expert in this area, it's just what I thought.
Old 03-08-11, 03:23 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by b4k4kun
The headlight housing consists of 3 swappable bulbs: the HID bulb, the DRL, which is also the hi-beams at full power, and the small parking light in the corner of the spot where the hi-beams are.
You could also change your turn signal bulbs out if you like, but this is rare. Someone did a mod in the past where the turn signal would alternate between amber and white. For most people, and IMO, it's not worth the trouble.

To change the HID to a different color, one would just simply buy a new D4S bulb, rather than buying a whole kit.

The DRL/hi-beams can be changed out for either another halogen (nokya and luminous come to mind) or into LED with a module.
In your car, with OEM HIDs, yes and yes. You could also swap out for PIAA Xtreme White or Silverstar Ultra bulbs for brighter high beams, but they won't improve the DRL color much. See this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-lights.html

The parking light is easily changed into an LED light, and various guides(that i'm too lazy to dig out) show the quality difference between different LEDs.
Yes. See this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ive-guide.html

Under stock conditions, only the DRLs light up during the day, whereas when night falls, the HIDs are the ones on, along with the parking light. fog lights also turn on only when the low beams are on.
Yes. You can also have your DRLs and parking lights on (the first click of your headlamp stalk). You can also mod your fog to come on independently. See this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ification.html

Halogens are the easiest to use, but I've read that many people change theirs into LEDs, and with the use of the module it eliminates flickering. The LEDs are also running at full power at all times, so there is no difference between DRL and hi beam modes?
Yes, DRLs and high beams have the same color/brightness with an LED DRL kit when a module is installed. With the new LED DRL kit from V-LED, the module fits behind the moisture shield so there's no drilling, it's 100% plug and play. So, it's arguably just as easy to change to that kit as it would be for an aftermarket 9006 (DRL/high beam) halogen bulb.

How good would the output be of the high beams, as compared to stock? LEDs are bright, but don't really spread their light well, as noted from the LED parking light guide.
See Kurtz' post. In addition, since you have the stock AFS HIDs in your car, you would still have some high beam functionality from your bi-xenon low beams (a shield moves allowing the low beams to shoot up higher when the high beams are engaged). However, it's not as brighter obviously since you don't have a second set of dedicated high beam bulbs.

What would happen if one swapped the halogen to HID? Would it actually work, or would there be any consequences?
Also, it's not the headlight, but for fog lights, I've been thinking of swapping to HIDs. Then looking at either the v-leds or the ijdmtoys website, they also mentioned LED! Same question of how well the spread is.
If you have a lot of money to throw around, you could theoretically retro some bi-xenon projectors into the high beams area and have them come on as quad low beams, then wire up some separate DRL or have LEDs behind the projectors to make them glow. This would be a BIG, expensive project and I don't think anyone has done it on the 2IS. Aside from that, it's not worth doing for the reasons Kurtz outlined.
Old 03-08-11, 03:27 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The stock low beam HIDs are 4300k.
This is not true. The OEM (Philips) D4S HID bulbs are 4100K in color. Proof: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...d4s20sheet.pdf The confusion comes from aftermarket "OEM Replacement" bulbs that are usually 4300K in color.

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
I'm sure most states have some kind of law saying that you can't have excessive glare/blinding light, no matter what the type of housing the HIDs (or halogens for that matter) are in. The fogs are also in reflective housings and 99% of people that add HIDs to them don't retro in projectors, but of course they're lower to the ground so are less of an issue.

Originally Posted by jmhtx
Can anyone explain why so many IS owners replace the yellow DRL light with a White/Blue LED and the white fog with a yellow bulb?
Looks. A lot of people want their DRLs to match the color of their low beams, others make them even more yellow than stock. Yellow fogs are a "JDM" thing. It's also a feature commonly associated with Lexuses since some of the older models came stock with yellow fogs (e.g. the IS300).
Old 03-08-11, 04:37 PM
XxFLASHxX
Driver School Candidate

what's a good yellow drl to go with?

and as far as the fogs go, do u need yellow bulbs and the yellow film for the best look....or would just the film be adequate?
Old 03-08-11, 04:43 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ Here's a yellow DRL example: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...llow-drls.html

Personally, I think yellow HID fogs with a clear, OEM lens look best. Not a fan of yellow film, although it does work. Just depends what you like.
Old 03-08-11, 07:41 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

i would not use LEDs for fogs unless you don't care about the functionality and only using the fogs for looks. These aftermarket LEDs are mainly for looks. The amount of light they project forward is very limited, and this would effectively make your fogs useless. Stick with either halogen or get an HID kit instead.
Old 03-08-11, 10:32 PM
b4k4kun
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, especially Kurtz and brociouz. That was all the info I wanted and more. I've decided that for myself, I'd rather keep things practical and go with halogen DRLs.

My car is your average 07 SGM IS250. Only thing I've done so far is tint and interior lights. As the TX season warms up, I'll give the car a proper wash and then post up pics

Yellow DRLs are actually quite tempting from that link too.... perhaps 6000k low, luminics yellow halogens for high, and 3000k hid kit for the fogs, and a good 600k LED for the parking light.