IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hid Kits: 35W, 55W, 75W Or 100W?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 01:33 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with 35W. Your projector is not designed for HIDs, and you will already be increasing the glare caused to other drivers. Don't exacerbate it by getting a brighter bulb that causes more glare with little to no gains in usable light.
Old 03-21-11, 12:56 PM
hotwheels1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Stick with 35W. Your projector is not designed for HIDs, and you will already be increasing the glare caused to other drivers. Don't exacerbate it by getting a brighter bulb that causes more glare with little to no gains in usable light.
Hello Infra,

could you please explain the main differences between a projector headlight designed for HID and a projector designed for Halogen bulbs?

Have you ever opened a projector headlight unit?

Have you ever taken apart a projector itself?

Just answer the above questions honestly please.

Thanks

G.T.
Old 03-21-11, 01:09 PM
hotwheels1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
agreed! i would not do anything over 35W

they reason no one has probably tried them is because its not recommended. im willing to bet within the first few months you'll melt the harness and fyi its not cheap to replace.
what?

If the watt load is too high then the first thing to go would be the fuse.
Old 03-21-11, 01:11 PM
hotwheels1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 100degrees
It may also be because of your halogen projector. Xenon projectors have cleaner cutoffs.
what is the difference between a halogen and HID projector?

Have you ever taken apart either a halogen or a HID one?

Thanks

G.T.
Old 03-21-11, 01:16 PM
hotwheels1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
Get 200w, definitely. The more the people flash you, the better you know your output is.

the light cut off won't change by having stronger bulbs.
Old 03-21-11, 11:37 PM
SKURD
Driver School Candidate

my friends and i always use a 55w set up, I have seen them melt shrouds a little bit though. i would recommend 55w time and time again, my accord has been running them over a year, no melting and the shroud is right next to it, and i put many more miles on my hids than my friend within that time.

simply, if you want more light get a 55w kit, i know some people will think its too bright, but really just dont aim them up, and you'll be fine. never found any real 75w and 100w kits, never bothered buying gimmicks though
Old 03-22-11, 12:03 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that it's a stronger bulb that changes, it's that H11 (halogen bulbs) are designed for halogen bulb outputs. An HID bulb that fits the H11 will most definitely NOT be OEM, therefore the build quality is generally not equal. Heat is a main concern. Also, the bulb shape of HID and how it outputs light is different from halogens.
I snapped a quick shot of the difference here:
001-1.jpg?t=1300777139
The bulb on the left is the OEM OSRAM halogen bulb, and the bulb on the right is a Morimoto HID bulb (yes it's aftermarket, but I've heard very good things about them). As you can tell, the shape very different. The reflector bowl in the back of HID projectors are specifically designed for HID bulbs, and likewise to the halogen reflectors. I don't have a spare halogen projector to take apart and take a picture of it, but in a few weeks, I'll be taking apart my headlights to retrofit. If you really want, I'll take pictures of it to show you.
Old 03-22-11, 12:55 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Many vendors use 35W bulbs with 55W ballasts. They say that the 35W bulbs are rated up to 60A. While the bulbs will work, they will burn hotter an can potentially damage the vehicle's headlight housing. Aside from that, the bulb will burn out ALOT quicker as it is not designed for 55W. 55W kits will produce more glare and uneven light spread.

Steve
Old 03-22-11, 07:58 PM
korupt1
Driver School Candidate

I am running a 55W head lights and 35W fog lights HIDs on a 2006 IS250 with the 6000K bulbs and have not had any problems at all. Got mine from DDM, straight plug and play all around. Required a lil imagination mounting the second pair of ballasts but I worked it all out behind the bumper shell
Old 03-23-11, 01:45 AM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by korupt1
I am running a 55W head lights and 35W fog lights HIDs on a 2006 IS250 with the 6000K bulbs and have not had any problems at all. Got mine from DDM, straight plug and play all around. Required a lil imagination mounting the second pair of ballasts but I worked it all out behind the bumper shell
If you are running the kit bulbs at 55w in your headlights then I bet if you open up your headlights and take apart your projectors you would see some burnt marks and bubbles on your reflector bowl. Kit bulbs burn hotter which is why I run oem Philips bulbs at 55w in my retro.
Old 03-23-11, 04:01 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you were running 3000k then a 55 watt would be ideal cause its a lot more yellow. I bought 3k for my car but it was a 35watt slim ballast and its not very yellow compared the my iS when i retrofitted RX350 ballast running 3k. If you want visibility stick with 4300k. No matter what you lose visibility with 6k but upgrading from 35 watt to 55watt does help. Standard ballast for lexus run at 55watt.
Old 03-23-11, 04:06 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels1
what?

If the watt load is too high then the first thing to go would be the fuse.
maybe but not all the time. I saw a member in the 3GS forum run too high of a wattage hid on his car and completely melted his harness to the bulb. Cost over 1k to just replace the wiring.

We're all giving you good advice based off previous experiences. you can take it for what its worth but in the end its your decision on what you want to do.
Old 03-23-11, 07:43 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

DDM uses 35W bulbs with 50W ballasts. They actually specify on their website that their 35W bulbs are rated up to 60W...
Old 03-23-11, 08:07 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
DDM uses 35W bulbs with 50W ballasts. They actually specify on their website that their 35W bulbs are rated up to 60W...
Yep. They don't have special bulbs that are designed to run higher. It's the same thing as their 35w bulbs.
Old 03-23-11, 09:56 AM
hotwheels1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kumquatism
It's not that it's a stronger bulb that changes, it's that H11 (halogen bulbs) are designed for halogen bulb outputs. An HID bulb that fits the H11 will most definitely NOT be OEM, therefore the build quality is generally not equal. Heat is a main concern. Also, the bulb shape of HID and how it outputs light is different from halogens.
I snapped a quick shot of the difference here:

The bulb on the left is the OEM OSRAM halogen bulb, and the bulb on the right is a Morimoto HID bulb (yes it's aftermarket, but I've heard very good things about them). As you can tell, the shape very different. The reflector bowl in the back of HID projectors are specifically designed for HID bulbs, and likewise to the halogen reflectors. I don't have a spare halogen projector to take apart and take a picture of it, but in a few weeks, I'll be taking apart my headlights to retrofit. If you really want, I'll take pictures of it to show you.

Hi kumquatism,

thanks for the pic, i know the difference of the halogen and HID bulbs, I used to sell HID kits locally a couple of years ago but gave it up as i had no time.

For previous retrofit projects i opened some HID projectors of a VW Touager and some halogen projectors out of a Mercedes model. They both look very similar and the reflector part was chromed metal.

It would be good to know if the same part on my projector headlights is also metal. If you can take a photo of your HID headlights would be great.

Quick Reply: Hid Kits: 35W, 55W, 75W Or 100W?