IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Toyota/Lexus FTS coming to see my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 05:46 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bad situation for sure. looks like the dealership is trying to take care of it for you though. GL
Old 03-16-11, 06:39 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Whoa...Whoa...Slow down bud! I never "blamed" any of my problems on the Valve Recall. I said, I have had crazy problems occur with my Lexus IS350 after the recent Valve Recall. Which means, a series of things could have happened, such as; the mechanic taking the car for a hard joy ride to park it (i have seen this happen many times) and damaged something, or the ECU malfunctioning because of the reset, or the cold weather impacting the way air/fuel is delivered because of the reset and the existing fsport cold air intake, i dunno.....but Im not "blaming" the valve recall. However, are you a mechanic for Lexus and know for sure that this problem is not related to the Valve Recall job itself? Like the valves not seated right, or some valves having distortion more than others, etc...??? I'm just letting members/owners know what happened to me AFTER the valve recall was performed. So, until the FTS looks at the car and determines its problem, im going to leave it at "...these problems started happening AFTER the valve recall".
Here are your exact words from the original post: "In the meantime, anyone thinking about doing the valve recall....its complete and utter BS!!!"

Here are your words from your response to my post: "Whoa...Whoa...Slow down bud! I never "blamed" any of my problems on the Valve Recall."

See a disconnect?

It's pretty easy to see how one would interpret your original post as discouraging people from getting the valve spring recall done, considering you call the recall itself (not the work performed at your specific dealer) "complete and utter BS!!!" I then pose the question to you: are you a Lexus tech? If not, I would say calling a recall "utter BS" is hyperbolic and misguided. In addition, with your statement in the second post of "a series of things could have happened, such as; the mechanic taking the car for a hard joy ride to park it" you seem to indicate your knowledge that, despite your insistence in the first post upon this being related to the valve spring recall, these problems could have been caused by any number of things, many of them unrelated to the valve spring recall.

I think what you meant in your original post was to say that the actual work done to perform the valve spring recall could potentially have adverse consequences if not done correctly, which is what seems to have happened in your case. However, a Lexus tech inadvertently causing other problems when performing a service or repair could happen with any repair or service, not just the valve spring recall.

I don't mean to get into a battle of words here, I just wanted to make clear that you did jump to conclusions in your first post and appeared clearly to be discouraging people from the valve spring recall ("complete and utter BS!!!") when in truth 1) there's no proof that your problems are related to it, and 2) even if they are, this is likely an isolated incident and is not the norm. I would still advise getting the recall done, if a company with the reputation and resources of Lexus is going to the trouble of issuing it.

I'm going to leave this issue rest here, but I wanted to speak my piece because I've been in the shoes of a new owner searching forums for answers, and I wouldn't want someone to come across this post and think they shouldn't get the recall performed because this might happen to their car, when all the facts haven't come out.

Last edited by calvin2376; 03-16-11 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 07:12 PM
fr0st
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this post is entertaining... lol
Old 03-16-11, 09:11 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Lets toss this out there.

VVTI controller? lol

Did they flash your ECU or even try another ECU?

Watch it just be 2 connectors that got mixed up. (Ive seen it happen in the past)
Old 04-10-11, 04:01 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, so I got my car back last Friday, and..........all i gotta say is Lexus far exceeded my expectations in customer service, repairs, and guarantee! I have 5 pages of repairs done (including my complaints and their fixes). The car runs like BUTTER! No joke! The culprit was a bad ECM and was caused by possible grounding surge during the ECM reset when the recall was over. The FTS replaced a boat-load of things that he found either worn out or broken (regardless of wear&tear) in addition to the bad ECM and in the end, i got a complimentary 3 free synthetic oil changes. Lexus corp called me and said we have everything documented, and if any of the problems you experienced return, we will do whatever it takes to resolve the problem large or small! That ***** gave me chills over the phone....THANK YOU LEXUS!
Old 04-10-11, 04:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome.....I love the real technicians who want to fix things. +1
Old 04-10-11, 04:19 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

good to hear that...now spread the words about your experience....LEXUS FTW!