IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

???Roof Spoilers???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 09:24 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Be careful when you use just the supplied tape. I asked my homie for advice on mounting the roof spoiler (he's had about 5 different ones ) and the best way is to apply extra tape, and mount it to the glass when the surface of the glass is warm/hot, apply pressure when mounting and let it sit. The issue with the supplied tape is that even though it will stick initially, it wont last as long as if your not taking some extra precautions.

The "strongest" method apparently is to use some 3M double sided tape + epoxy
I skipped the epoxy because i'm sure i'll change the roof spoiler sooner or later and epoxy is a PITA to remove lol.

My homie uses epoxy + tape because his roof spoiler has been stolen twice...damn thieves!!
Old 08-24-11, 12:23 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put an order for a SGM roof spoiler .
Old 08-24-11, 06:07 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually got mine today...a day sooner than it said I would. Matches pretty damn good. May be a tiny bit darker but I'm not sure, might just be the lighting.

It did have what looked to be a bit of white paint overspray on it though. Real tiny specs of white. I used a clay bar and it came off very easy. One of the edges has a small chip on it, but nothing a touch up pin wont fix. I'd rather have something 100% perfect, but for the money and little touch up paint it should be just about perfect.
Old 08-25-11, 09:12 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Holy Smokes! That was fast...can't wait to see it.

Aug 25, 2011 8:11 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
HOUSTON, TX
Old 08-25-11, 09:25 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's weird....Mine came in absolutely perfect condition. I guess it is just the luck of the draw and how careful the guy is that does the work.
Old 08-25-11, 11:33 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Mine came with a chip too, luckily its where the roof spoiler meets the roof so its hidden.
Old 08-25-11, 12:27 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
^ Be careful when you use just the supplied tape. I asked my homie for advice on mounting the roof spoiler (he's had about 5 different ones ) and the best way is to apply extra tape, and mount it to the glass when the surface of the glass is warm/hot, apply pressure when mounting and let it sit. The issue with the supplied tape is that even though it will stick initially, it wont last as long as if your not taking some extra precautions.

The "strongest" method apparently is to use some 3M double sided tape + epoxy
I skipped the epoxy because i'm sure i'll change the roof spoiler sooner or later and epoxy is a PITA to remove lol.

My homie uses epoxy + tape because his roof spoiler has been stolen twice...damn thieves!!
Sorry man but I wouldn't trust you "homie". That is way overkill!!

I used the supplied tape, cleaned the glass with the supplied rubbing alcohol, and then used the adhesion promoter that was also applied. I've had mine on for 6 months now with zero issues, it's not even attempting to lift in certain areas and is solid as a rock.

For anyone reading this just following the instructions and you'll be fine.
Old 08-25-11, 02:44 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's exactly what I did, but I totally forgot about the adhesion promoter. Think it is still good to go tho.
Old 08-25-11, 03:52 PM
fift3e
Driver School Candidate

got mine from ebay and loving it.....
Old 08-25-11, 05:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by my95tsi
Sorry man but I wouldn't trust you "homie". That is way overkill!!

I used the supplied tape, cleaned the glass with the supplied rubbing alcohol, and then used the adhesion promoter that was also applied. I've had mine on for 6 months now with zero issues, it's not even attempting to lift in certain areas and is solid as a rock.

For anyone reading this just following the instructions and you'll be fine.
You have your method, I have mine. Mine's not coming off, neither is yours.

Forgot about the adhesion promoter, it's a good idea to use that as well, but i prefer applying the extra tape too. Epoxy isn't necessary unless your super worried about it being stolen.
Old 08-25-11, 06:16 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the adhesion promoter that came with it and it's snug tight.

My rear lip is only hanging on with 1 strip of tape along the edge and it's still snug. 3m double sided tape I trust!
Old 08-31-11, 10:01 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

just got my roof spoiler today will slap it on as soon as i get more double sided tape!
Old 09-01-11, 06:09 AM
TheSenator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by langjaykev
just got my roof spoiler today will slap it on as soon as i get more double sided tape!
Congrats! When I took mine out of the box, I checked the double tape and it appeared to be 3M tape already. Same red backing, thickness, and just as adhesive. I used lots of 3M on firetrucks back in the day.

I used the alcohol swab to clean, the adhesion promoter, let it sit for 60 seconds, and then installed. I let it sit for an hour or two, just to make sure it set in. I also left a small gap for water run off. Its solid as a rock right now, and not going anywhere.

Old 09-01-11, 06:48 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
I put the adhesion promoter that came with it and it's snug tight.

My rear lip is only hanging on with 1 strip of tape along the edge and it's still snug. 3m double sided tape I trust!
Good, I'm just going to get the extra 3M double sized tape for my next project

Originally Posted by TheSenator
Congrats! When I took mine out of the box, I checked the double tape and it appeared to be 3M tape already. Same red backing, thickness, and just as adhesive. I used lots of 3M on firetrucks back in the day.

I used the alcohol swab to clean, the adhesion promoter, let it sit for 60 seconds, and then installed. I let it sit for an hour or two, just to make sure it set in. I also left a small gap for water run off. Its solid as a rock right now, and not going anywhere.
Looks good man... Will post pictures of mine after the install (here in a few hours)...
Old 09-01-11, 06:52 AM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheSenator

yeah mine came with some too I just want to put extra

Do you mind taking a photo closer? so I can see the gap?
I'm also planning on having a small gap as well.

Is the gap in the ridge between the roof/window?

Quick Reply: ???Roof Spoilers???