IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non HID IS350 - Looking at Sylvania Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 11:14 AM
rprestel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non HID IS350 - Looking at Sylvania Silverstars

Hey everyone. I have an 06 IS 350 w/o the HID package. I am looking to get some upgraded bulbs and really like the Silverstars. What do I need to know about the process and what have people done?
Old 03-16-11, 11:43 AM
100degrees
Pole Position

Just take out your stock bulb and replace it with the Sylvania bulbs. You have to remove all the plastic pieces in the bay and I think you remove the washer reservoir. Check for a DIY on here.
Old 03-16-11, 11:48 AM
nairb
Driver

I'd suggest, unless you're really into DIY, taking it to a local body shop and having them do it. I left my car at the shop for a few hours, told them I want 6000K bulbs (pure white) and they installed them for 225(included everything, bulbs+install). Im sure places do it cheaper blah blah blah but I didn't want to deal with error messages or things like that. Depending on the bulbs you get you will need to install converters, and IMO unless you know what you're doing, messing with the electrical system is a very bad idea.

My bulbs, which I've had I'm for two years, were around $100. Most good shops charge $75-100 an hour labor. Plus tax you're looking at 200-250 for install+bulbs. I know a shop that charges 350 because it's located in a rich area. So do some scouting.

One down side I can instantly think of is that wiring incorrectly might result in your bulbs burning hotter than intended and that could burn/melt your headlight housing, which I assume would run $400+ to repair or replace.

Last edited by nairb; 03-16-11 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 12:01 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't go over the recommended watts for your bulb, you should be ok. I'll take the bulb route too when mine burns out in a few years. I don't want to deal with the hassle of installing HIDs.
Old 03-16-11, 12:50 PM
jbounnoi
Lead Lap

well i know if you buy replacement bulb's in ontario they almost cost as much as some hid kits you can purchase on this website.. ddmtuning has good quality hid kits for the price under $50 dollars i believe...
Old 03-16-11, 12:58 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed all of my non-HID bulbs on my '06 IS350. I used Sylvania SilverStar Ultras for the lowbeams, and used Hella Xenons in the hi-beam as well as for the fogs. All three of the engine cover panels have to be removed. On the driver's side, you will need to remove the bolt holding the washer fluid filler tube. With it scooted to the side, you will be able to access the panel that covers the bulbs. It has a wire clip, which will be slid toward to the radiator to release it. On the passenger side, you have to remove virtually all of the air filter box to get to this panel. I was VERY pleased with my upgrade, and they are significantly brighter than what was in it previously.
Old 03-16-11, 02:30 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by nairb
I'd suggest, unless you're really into DIY, taking it to a local body shop and having them do it. I left my car at the shop for a few hours, told them I want 6000K bulbs (pure white) and they installed them for 225(included everything, bulbs+install). Im sure places do it cheaper blah blah blah but I didn't want to deal with error messages or things like that. Depending on the bulbs you get you will need to install converters, and IMO unless you know what you're doing, messing with the electrical system is a very bad idea.

My bulbs, which I've had I'm for two years, were around $100. Most good shops charge $75-100 an hour labor. Plus tax you're looking at 200-250 for install+bulbs. I know a shop that charges 350 because it's located in a rich area. So do some scouting.

One down side I can instantly think of is that wiring incorrectly might result in your bulbs burning hotter than intended and that could burn/melt your headlight housing, which I assume would run $400+ to repair or replace.
can you elaborate on what type of conversion (non-HID to HID, increased wattage, etc) and what brand bulbs you used? Swapping out bulbs simply for a different color is literally not much more work than swapping out a light bulb in your house, except with $30 Nokyo or Luminics bulbs.
Old 03-16-11, 02:33 PM
rprestel
Driver School Candidate

I just got done installing my new ETI intake. I love the sound of it. I should have done the bulbs at the same time. Slammer you put the Ultras in and havent had any problems? I have heard mixed reviews and wanted to make sure I wasnt going to get similar results to OEM.
Old 03-16-11, 02:54 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't u just get an hid kit. You can spend 20 bucks and some silverstars which don't look that much better then stock or get a ddm tuning hid kit for 30 bucks and look 10x better. Any codor u want and lifetime warranty.
Old 03-16-11, 03:00 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

My gf had these, burned out after a year
Old 03-16-11, 04:18 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are SilverStar, and there are SilverStar Ultras. I used the Ultras which are brighter than the "regular". They are much brighter than stock, but are known for a relatively short life. The Ultras retail for $50, but I have bought several sets off of Ebay for around $25. I got both sets of my Hella bulbs (also retail for $50) for $22 each. At that price, I am fine with changing them later if necessary. Honestly, I am so impressed with the Hella bulbs that I would likely use them for the low beams as well, once the SilverStar Ultras burn out. They are wicked bright. I have around $75 total in my bulb upgrade, and thats a pair of H11s, a pair of 9005s, and a pair of 9006s. Not bad.....
Old 03-16-11, 04:30 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nairb

+1. I take my car to the dealership to fill up my gas as well. They only charge $150 for labor, plus $10/gallon for the fuel itself, but it's special dealership gas so I don't have to deal with error codes and explosions. They also topped off my blinker fluid for only $50.

Seriously though, changing halogens out is about as easy as mods come. Just order the right bulb (pretty simple) and wear gloves during the install so you don't get oil from your hands on the bulbs, which may cause them to prematurely fail. There's no wiring involved. If you don't even have it in you to change a bulb, you probably shouldn't be modding your car...

As others are saying, for about the same price you can go ahead and get an HID kit. If you're intent on sticking with halogens, go into it knowing you'll never get that true HID color/look, if that's your goal. Silverstar Ultras in particular are known for burning out after a year or two - I believe it even says so on the packaging. They are a little bit brighter and whiter though. Here are some pics of OEM HIDs next to Silverstar Ultra high beams and fogs: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-lights.html