IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Potential new IS250 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 06:51 PM
USeekYota
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new IS250 owner

Greetings, first post, please be easy on me. Please note that I have done extensive research already and am coming to you with some general inquiries. I'm looking to upgrade from a 8th gen Honda Accord to a 2009 or 2010 IS250. My research has been limited to the web and have only been to the dealers when they are closed. I already have a Toyota Tacoma so I'm loyal to the brand but losing faith in Honda (rear disc brake pads needing replaced every 20K and reading about VCM issues with oil consumption). Sometimes I wish the 2001 Accord was still in my garage. I digress...

Outside of the TSB's, are there any glaring issues that I've missed in my research on this forum and elsewhere regarding mechanical/structural/functional problems in the 2nd gen IS250? I want to have a car again that will go 200K plus. I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow night (when they are open) for a drive. Hopefully the wife likes too. The car is narrower than the Accord and she probably won't like the cockpit feel which, even w/o sitting in it yet, appears to be such.

The car is much sportier than the Accord, love the stance and the Starfire Pearl color. One more item, is the car's lineage based on the Corolla? Hope to put it in my garage this weekend. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old 03-16-11, 07:33 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The TSB's pretty much sum it up for the issues that have been discovered. No big problems like transmission failures (Honda automatics are famous for this) or excessive oil burning (Mainly older Honda's). I made the change from Honda to Lexus too and i had the same worries as you. But i did my research and believe i made the right decision 100% in getting my starfire pearl IS250.

Not based on the Corolla tho at least i don't think it is o_o

Go for the IS, you won't be disappointed and coming from a Honda, Toyota is more reliable in my book
Old 03-16-11, 07:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Outside of the TSB's, are there any glaring issues that I've missed in my research on this forum and elsewhere regarding mechanical/structural/functional problems in the 2nd gen IS250? I want to have a car again that will go 200K plus. I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow night (when they are open) for a drive. Hopefully the wife likes too. The car is narrower than the Accord and she probably won't like the cockpit feel which, even w/o sitting in it yet, appears to be such.
[/QUOTE]

No real issues, assuming you're going with an automatic... (the manual is kinda crappy)... the biggest deal, specific to the 250, is the carbon buildup issue, but a top engine cleaning every 50k or so seems to clear that up (and it's usually pretty minor anyway)

Originally Posted by USeekYota
. One more item, is the car's lineage based on the Corolla?
Not even remotely.

Other than the Lexus ES none of the cars in the years you're looking at share any platform with Toyota vehicles.

The easy giveaway is all of Toyotas cars are FWD, and apart from the ES (and the newest hybrids) none of Lexus cars are.
Old 03-16-11, 07:47 PM
LSIII
Rookie

The IS is not based on the Corolla. The IS is rear wheel drive with a longitudinally mounted engine the Corolla is front wheel drive with a transversely mounted engine. The IS is a shortened version of the GS.
Old 03-16-11, 10:26 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus IS250/350 does not have a Toyota counterpart as in the IS300(Altezza).

It's an animal of it's own... the closest relative to Toyota would be the Crown Royal.
Old 03-16-11, 10:39 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

get the starfire pearl IS, you wont regret it! much more stylish than an accord...
Old 03-17-11, 07:31 AM
ISRocker
Rookie

[QUOTE=USeekYota;6230080]
Outside of the TSB's, are there any glaring issues that I've missed in my research on this forum and elsewhere regarding mechanical/structural/functional problems in the 2nd gen IS250? QUOTE]

Is there a list of TSB's somewhere?
Old 03-17-11, 07:38 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

good pick! starfire pearl is probably the best color in the IS family!
Old 03-17-11, 07:35 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

I have to say I love almost everything about my IS (2007) except the cup holder situation and the bumpy ride. I live in Minnesota and we get hella potholes. Other than that it's really a dream car.
Old 03-17-11, 07:56 PM
NCLexi250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
I have to say I love almost everything about my IS (2007) except the cup holder situation and the bumpy ride. I live in Minnesota and we get hella potholes. Other than that it's really a dream car.
^^ Ditto (especially after lowering for me though!!!).

Can't really think of anything I'd change about my car right now to be honest, well except maybe some spacers.
Old 03-17-11, 07:58 PM
aly250
Pole Position

IS all the way bro
and yes the cup holder thing is annoying
Old 03-17-11, 09:04 PM
bantatua21
Rookie

go with IS, you can't go wrong man!
Old 03-17-11, 10:02 PM
USeekYota
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback Was not happy with the offer from dealer tonight so I walked away, even though they said they had a buyer already for my excellent condition Accord....whatever, hate dealer games. Anyway, found another IS about 300 miles away and have sent inquiry. A few more questions that I've not been able to find answers to please and thank you:

1) How do you identify if head unit has Mark Levinson sound? Parking assist (sensors on front bumper?)
2) The button to the right of the rear shade switch, is that for adaptive cruise or ???
3) The IS tonight did not have Sat radio, just "ready". Dealer offered to throw that in after I said $640 was too much. What would need added if I did that on my own or got done by 3rd party? Is it just wiring to antenna? new head unit?
4) The IS tonight had heated/cooled seats with perforated leather. The one I've only seen online does not have perforated leather. Do you need perforated leather to have cooled seats?
5) Love the car, even though it's a tight fit being 6' 4", glad I don't have to ride in the backseat!
Old 03-18-11, 07:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback Was not happy with the offer from dealer tonight so I walked away, even though they said they had a buyer already for my excellent condition Accord....whatever, hate dealer games. Anyway, found another IS about 300 miles away and have sent inquiry. A few more questions that I've not been able to find answers to please and thank you:

1) How do you identify if head unit has Mark Levinson sound? Parking assist (sensors on front bumper?)
It will say "Mark Levinson" on the head unit (the part down near where the CDs go in)

The park assist cars will have sensors on the front and rear bumper (some little circle looking things)

2) The button to the right of the rear shade switch, is that for adaptive cruise or ???
I know that's where the headlight washer button goes if the car has it, not sure what else they put there

3) The IS tonight did not have Sat radio, just "ready". Dealer offered to throw that in after I said $640 was too much. What would need added if I did that on my own or got done by 3rd party? Is it just wiring to antenna? new head unit?

The OEM hardware is about $300 and you can install yourself in about an hour, you don't touch the head unit, it's all done in the trunk plug and play.

HOWEVER- rumor has it the hardware has been discontinued, so you might have trouble finding it.

4) The IS tonight had heated/cooled seats with perforated leather. The one I've only seen online does not have perforated leather. Do you need perforated leather to have cooled seats?
Yup. they're actually vented seats, not cooled.. .they just have a fan in/under the seat blowing whatever temp air is ambient. Hence the need for the perforated leather.