IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Spoiler coming off...any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 06:36 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spoiler coming off...any recommendations?

I bought my 2007 IS350 about 2 months ago. Today I just noticed that the trunk spoiler (which was on the car when I purchased it, and I believe it's just the Lexus one) is coming off. It's slowly peeling up, especially at each end. It looks like there's some kind of glue holding it down, but it's obviously wearing down and the spoiler's coming up.

Any suggestions? The car's CPO, but I don't think the warranty would cover something like this, though I do think it's ridiculous since I just bought this car.
Old 03-17-11, 06:41 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try getting them to fix it, if not you can go to Home Depot and get some 3m double side tape and fix it. You'll probably have to unbolt the spoiler, remove the gulf/tape, clean the surface and apply the new tape
Old 03-17-11, 06:53 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They should repair this. Go to the dealer and ask them to look at it.
Old 03-17-11, 07:04 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have the bumper-to-bumper warranty, it should be covered as sffd103 said.
Old 03-17-11, 07:06 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by shadowman
If you still have the bumper-to-bumper warranty, it should be covered as sffd103 said.
Helpful, thanks. Yeah I planned on asking the dealer next time I go in, but I assumed they'd say no because it's a trim/body piece or whatever. Hopefully I won't get too much trouble.
Old 03-17-11, 07:25 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Cometic is not a warranty. Plus they would have to take the trunk panel off to get to the screws. So I can see them charging you. Just do DIY.
Old 03-17-11, 08:01 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ +1 for DIY. No one will take better care of your car than you.
Old 03-17-11, 09:04 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

call your sales person those thing get fix by the preown department.....thats how mine was fix there was a small chip on it and instead of fixing it they gave me a new spoiler
Old 03-17-11, 11:45 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If they dont warranty it, then just DIY. This is such an easy and cheap fix
Old 03-22-11, 05:56 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Went to my local dealer (not the dealer I bought the car from back in January) and they told me the spoiler wasn't covered under the CPO or VSA warranties, and that even though it just looks like the adhesive keeping the spoiler attached is wearing away, they said I'd need a whole new spoiler since the adhesive comes with the spoiler and they quoted me $600.

This is why people hate dealers, even the ones under the "best" brands. I think Lexus dealers overall score much higher than other manufacturers' dealers in many respects, however they're still dealers. All it means to say a dealer is "good" is that they're just slightly less dealer-y than other dealers. I'm a new customer to Lexus of Towson - literally it was my first service there. I had just bought my IS350 and I plan on living here and having the car for quite a while, so Towson stands to possibly gain me as a major customer and source of revenue. How do they handle this all-important first service experience with a new and potential life-long customer? They tell me they can't take the 10 minutes to apply new adhesive to my spoiler, and instead ask if I want to spend $600 on a new one.

ANYWAY, I digress.

Can anyone share their experience with this? Has anyone had their factory trunk spoiler adhesive wear down and the spoiler start to peel up from the ends? Did your dealer do anything about it for you, did it get covered by warranty, etc?

And is there a thread on how to fix this? I guess I have to remove the spoiler, remove the adhesive, and reapply it?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance, I'm just a bit exasperated.
Old 03-22-11, 07:23 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

sometimes you have to talk to more than one guy at the dealer to get stuff done. Since this is such an easy fix I wouldn't waste my time talkin to em. I'm sure there is a DIY somewhere but it should be pretty straightforward. 5 bucks and a little time is all it would cost ya. GL
Old 03-22-11, 09:58 AM
tenaciousF
Rookie

Sewell replaced mine without any hassle (2008 CPO). Two days later the new one is separating from the trunk just like the first. I'll reinstall later with 3M tape and their adhesive primer. That stuff works wonders.
Old 03-23-11, 10:57 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

I had my valve spring recall done last week and asked them to look at my spoiler and they said it was not covered under warranty and that the separation is normal wear and tear
Old 03-28-11, 02:21 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the same situation for my wife's IS250. Since I don't drive the IS250 daily, I haven't fixed it yet and my wife seems oblivious to it but if it was my daily driver, it would drive me nuts. My spoiler was installed by a Lexus dealer after the purchase so I did see how it was installed.

As posted above, you do have to remove the trunk liner inside to get access to the 3 bolts/screws. I've also received recommendation of using dental floss to remove the spoiler without damaging the paint. Another key is how the holes are aligned. If you look at the trunk surface, it's not flat but looks like a curvature of frown smile. So if the holes are aligned straight, then you'll have your edges come up over time. Proper install appears to have the center hole bolt slightly higher than than the two edge bolts so that it creates the frown curvature.

I been researching but I haven't done the actual reinstall yet. I'm still nervous that I'll either scratch up the paint or create a ding or hole that would be a bigger problem.

Again, not my car so not as anxious to tackle this project.
Old 04-22-11, 06:58 AM
Numbahz
Driver

I just installed mine from Sewell cut off the bolts and used 3m tape it looked very well then I realized it was off a bit and put it back on and now the very corner wont stay down (prob cause I pulled it off 2x to make it completely even) I dont want to take it off again It already chipped a peice of paint from last time anyone know anyting I can slide under there and press it on(w/out damaging the car of course..aka not super glue etc..) thanks !

Or Ill just have to deal with it, its really really not bad @ all and it seems everytime I touch it something else happens haha

Quick Reply: Spoiler coming off...any recommendations?