G35 Coupe to Is250

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 05:33 PM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaimegtz78
my daughters are 9 and 11.
mine are 10 and 8 and are a perfect fit......my 5 week old is a tight but comfortable fit but the Pathfinder is for FAMILY outings
Old 03-22-11, 05:38 PM
BORIS350
Driver

i owned 04 G35 coupe and 08 G37s coupe
now i own a is350 i love it much more then the G35
more luxury more power and tq go with the is350
Old 03-22-11, 05:45 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G35 faster than the IS250 but IS350 is faster than the G35.. I had a 350Z which a little quicker than the G35 and got beat by IS350.. But if you want better gas mileage and doesnt care about power then get the 250.
Old 03-22-11, 06:18 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

The IS has pretty much no back leg room. If your tall and the drivers seat is almost all the way back your lucky to get 2 inches of leg room.
Old 03-22-11, 06:19 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

You say you're coming from a manual transmission G35.

You should know that the paddles in the IS350 are not shifters. They do not shift the car. The paddles in the ISF are shifters, however.

The IS350 is a fully automatic car for all intents and purposes. The only thing the paddles do is allow you to set the range of gears within which the automatic transmission will function.

If you use the paddles to set the car to "S5," the IS350 is now a fully automatic car that will choose from gears 1 through 5, depending on the conditions. Obviously, if you're cruising along the highway at partial throttle, the car - in S5 mode - will put you into 5th gear. If you then push down on the accelerator hard to go WOT, the car will automatically shift you into the appropriate gear for a WOT situation.

For practical purposes, the paddles are utterly useless. There are very, very few situations where one might find the paddles to be somewhat useful.

If you set the car to S1 using the paddles, accelerated, and then pressed the "+" paddle to put the car into S2 before you hit the rev limiter, you might be tricked into believing that you actually had some hand in shifting the car from 1st to 2nd gear, but you absolutely did not. All you did was set the range of gears from [1] to [1,2] before you hit the limiter.

Bottom line, the paddles are not shifters. If you're the type of guy who needs to have control in shifting the car, then you have two options as far as the IS line goes -

1) 6 MT IS250 (the IS350 does not have a manual transmission option)

2) ISF (not a true manual, but you gain full control in shifting the car using paddle shifters and you can keep the car in automatic mode when you want. You get the best of both worlds with this options).

If the ISF is out of your price range and the lack of manual transmission/lack of true paddle shifters is a deal breaker for you, then the only option is the 6MT IS250.

Personally, I value the power of the IS350 over the option of manual transmission with the IS250, but that's just me. Obviously, this comes down to personal preference.

Now, obviously you'll be wanting to take a test drive in all of these vehicles before you make your choice, but for your convenience, here are 0 to X MPH performance figures for both the IS250 and IS350 -

IS250 -

IS350 -

As Kurtz (another member here on CL) would say, with the IS350 you get 50% more power in lieu of a 10% reduction in gas mileage.

Whether or not the benefits of the IS350 (performance) outweigh the costs (no true manual, no paddle shifters, slightly poorer gas mileage) is up to you to decide.
Old 03-22-11, 06:52 PM
jaimegtz78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by syzygy
You say you're coming from a manual transmission G35.

You should know that the paddles in the IS350 are not shifters. They do not shift the car. The paddles in the ISF are shifters, however.

The IS350 is a fully automatic car for all intents and purposes. The only thing the paddles do is allow you to set the range of gears within which the automatic transmission will function.

If you use the paddles to set the car to "S5," the IS350 is now a fully automatic car that will choose from gears 1 through 5, depending on the conditions. Obviously, if you're cruising along the highway at partial throttle, the car - in S5 mode - will put you into 5th gear. If you then push down on the accelerator hard to go WOT, the car will automatically shift you into the appropriate gear for a WOT situation.

For practical purposes, the paddles are utterly useless. There are very, very few situations where one might find the paddles to be somewhat useful.

If you set the car to S1 using the paddles, accelerated, and then pressed the "+" paddle to put the car into S2 before you hit the rev limiter, you might be tricked into believing that you actually had some hand in shifting the car from 1st to 2nd gear, but you absolutely did not. All you did was set the range of gears from [1] to [1,2] before you hit the limiter.

Bottom line, the paddles are not shifters. If you're the type of guy who needs to have control in shifting the car, then you have two options as far as the IS line goes -

1) 6 MT IS250 (the IS350 does not have a manual transmission option)

2) ISF (not a true manual, but you gain full control in shifting the car using paddle shifters and you can keep the car in automatic mode when you want. You get the best of both worlds with this options).

If the ISF is out of your price range and the lack of manual transmission/lack of true paddle shifters is a deal breaker for you, then the only option is the 6MT IS250.

Personally, I value the power of the IS350 over the option of manual transmission with the IS250, but that's just me. Obviously, this comes down to personal preference.

Now, obviously you'll be wanting to take a test drive in all of these vehicles before you make your choice, but for your convenience, here are 0 to X MPH performance figures for both the IS250 and IS350 -

IS250 -

IS350 -

As Kurtz (another member here on CL) would say, with the IS350 you get 50% more power in lieu of a 10% reduction in gas mileage.

Whether or not the benefits of the IS350 (performance) outweigh the costs (no true manual, no paddle shifters, slightly poorer gas mileage) is up to you to decide.

Thanks for all the info really helps me make a decision! I think in going with fully automatic car this time. Last two cars I've owned was 03 M3 with SMG transmission didnt use the paddles much! Now G35 six speed manual transmission which I enjoy but this time around think I'm going automatic! So looks like I need to test drive the is350!
Old 03-22-11, 07:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your coming from a G35 i'm sure you will love the IS350 over the IS250
Old 03-22-11, 07:22 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

You're in luck then. The IS350's automatic transmission is terrific. The only thing for you to decide now is if the back seat room is sufficient for your needs. Although the IS is classified as a "sedan" it's probably somewhere in between that of a true coupe and a true sedan when it comes to rear leg room.
Old 03-22-11, 08:46 PM
jaimegtz78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by syzygy
You're in luck then. The IS350's automatic transmission is terrific. The only thing for you to decide now is if the back seat room is sufficient for your needs. Although the IS is classified as a "sedan" it's probably somewhere in between that of a true coupe and a true sedan when it comes to rear leg room.
Well I'm a 100% sure my next car is a Lexus IS not sure which one yet but leaning towards the is350. My kids are just going to have to deal with it
Im usually alone most of the time anyways so not to worried about the room in the car i guess its more having to flip the seat forward to get one of them in or out all the time.
Old 03-22-11, 09:04 PM
xjonmo
Driver School Candidate

I went from G35 Coupe to IS350.

Not gonna lie, I miss it
Old 03-22-11, 09:18 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

I had a G35 coupe and went into an IS350. The IS had enough power to keep your speed demon side under control and happy. As for room in the back seat, I don't know if you will like it. The rear seats in the IS are still roomier than the G35 but not by much. Maybe you might have to look into a car with bigger seats...

Also, don't be afraid to take your kids up to the dealership and see how they like the back seats. Also, sit in the back seats for yourself and see how you like them. You can then compare and see how it will feel to someone of the same size as you.

I don't mind the backseats because I never have people back there unless they are desperate for a ride. In that case, beggers can't be choosers LOL
Old 03-22-11, 09:19 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xjonmo
I went from G35 Coupe to IS350.

Not gonna lie, I miss it
What do you miss about it? You probably had a manual transmission...
Old 03-22-11, 11:25 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The IS350 is faster than the G35 coupe. Trust me on this, I own both. Both turn heads and both are great cars, however you can't compare the coupe to the sedan.

As for the IS250, its a great practical car. Some members on here are spot on in regards to looking at an ES, and I'd even recommend the GS300/350. Your little angels will continue to grow and you'll need to adjust to their lifestyle...heaps of diapers, then little league sports bags, then a tirade of birthday celebration supplies to Chuck E. Cheese, etc.

Also consider the G35/G37 SEDAN and the TL; both too are great cars, reliable, and fun to drive.
Old 03-22-11, 11:51 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it man....you need to get the IS350 or GS350 or you will end up sending yourself back to the past in your time machine to kick your own **** for what you are about to do.

Last edited by fasteddy91; 03-22-11 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-23-11, 05:36 AM
350FSport
Driver

I have one son who is 8. The main thing I like about the IS is that it has the feel of a coupe, with the convenience of 4 doors. No, you will not make any friends if you try to take adults on a long trip in the back seat. But I did not want my son having to crawl out of a coupe every morning when I drop him off at school. Once he gets big enough to need the leg room, he will be riding up front with Dad, in style If there are more than 2 adults needing a ride, we take the SUV. That's what they are for!

Edit: Go for the 350. I still can't figure out why people buy the 250 in such great numbers, when for 3-4k more you get a car that looks fast and actually IS fast. :duck:

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe to Is250