IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Returning Lease - Will they notice a 1.5" drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 02:42 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Returning Lease - Will they notice a 1.5" drop

Thoughts? Im thinking about picking up some megan springs on ebay. Springs and installation will be about $350, well worth it, in my book.

I am either returning it in Miami or NYC...most likely Miami. The car will basically be brought back to stock, with the exception of slight drop and 35% tint - both subtle...he may not be on mod lookout.

The dealership said it is really up to the third party inspector. So...Will the inspector notice? Or for that matter care? Would I be better off returning to a Toyota dealership, as their inspector may be more lenient??

Thanks!
Old 03-23-11, 02:49 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is yes. If they do a third party inspector then I would expect this guy to be good at what he does down to the tire life remaining.
Old 03-23-11, 02:51 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just put the stock springs back on ? And only downside is they might say something now since you mentioned it.
Old 03-23-11, 02:52 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure anyone can really give you a definitive answer since there are so many unknown and varying factors. It will depend on the leniency of your inspector, but I think a 1.5 inch drop is definitely noticeable.

I've never leased a vehicle before, what are the repercussions if they find aftermarket parts on the car? If it's more than the cost of having the stock springs reinstalled, you should just plan on switching back @ the end of your lease terms.
Old 03-23-11, 03:01 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

well, this is really the deciding factor. paying another $250 for the swap-to-stock makes the project, well, not worth it, since its a lease. and the last thing i want to do is spend $$ on a "rented" car right before i return it. although spending $$ 4 months into a 36 month lease is more acceptable. wahtever, i dont want to go there...the question is more so about the site inspector....

i know the guy is going to measure tire thread, and be thorough, but idk...lets put it this way, F Sport springs are a 1" drop...so maybe its not that big of a problem for the dealer to go ahead and flip the car in a "lowered" condition.

interested to see what others on the board have to say from their personal experiences with on-site inspectors.

Last edited by ThermonMer; 03-23-11 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-23-11, 03:24 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

not worth the time/$$$...as they are going to sell the car CPO

they want it STOCK. period.
Old 03-23-11, 03:51 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

here's what the drop looks like with megans and stockies. ive read 1.25" drop.

may be able to get away with it.
Old 03-23-11, 04:04 PM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
here's what the drop looks like with megans and stockies. ive read 1.25" drop.

may be able to get away with it.
May get away with it but he will most likely see it , u have the rear lip on the car I see too. What would Lexus make you pay for new stock springs and install??

The car looks good right there!
Old 03-23-11, 04:12 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you not offset the cost of having the stock ones put back on by selling them used when you remove them?

Jonny
Old 03-23-11, 04:15 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

I doubt the inspector will notice the drop.

Your ride height looks decent, almost like F sport springs. That said, dealerships are so used to seeing IS/IS-F models (w shorter springs), they are immune to the ride height - so to speak.
Old 03-23-11, 04:19 PM
jasonis250
Driver School Candidate

I work at a toyota dealership, and 100% yes the inspectors are very very good. they will deff notice. I am a salesman, and in 3 years when u turn the lease back in if u lease return it back yes they will notice and charge you $1000-$2500 to fix all repairs. however if u trade it in. then lexus never will c it and u will b fine. so it u trade it in for a lease or buy a new or used the dealership will not care to much. just dn't lease return it at the end. ok. I had a guy drop a tundra and toyota charged him $4500 lol
Old 03-23-11, 04:21 PM
jasonis250
Driver School Candidate

so if u trade it in and the dealership plans to sell it u will b all set ok
Old 03-23-11, 04:21 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

^^^ not my car. dont have the lip kit. how would that be my car if im currently asking the question to drop or not to drop. lol.

the springs are $110 w/o shipping. uninstall at a shop is $250-350. Dealer uninstall is around $1000. so you can see how uninstalling it makes all the difference in the world.

based on personal experiences, ive heard two stories of ppl returning a leased lexus with conservative springs, no problem. ive yet to hear a story of someone having a problem...only negative responses are from those who speculate. not actual failed attempts. hrmmm....
Old 03-23-11, 04:23 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasonis250
I work at a toyota dealership, and 100% yes the inspectors are very very good. they will deff notice. I am a salesman, and in 3 years when u turn the lease back in if u lease return it back yes they will notice and charge you $1000-$2500 to fix all repairs. however if u trade it in. then lexus never will c it and u will b fine. so it u trade it in for a lease or buy a new or used the dealership will not care to much. just dn't lease return it at the end. ok. I had a guy drop a tundra and toyota charged him $4500 lol
if i return this car, its because im moving back to nyc - where i wont need a car. so that may put me up ****s creek.
Old 03-23-11, 04:37 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasonis250
But this is a Lexus not a Toyota. Not too many F sport IS models go through Toyota dealerships...reason the guys are noticing the Lexus setup more.

I agree with the trade-in. If its a straight up trade-in, dealers don't give a damn what you did to your car...cause they're just gonna enjoy raping you again with new car purchase. Not saying you will ever do that to your customers, right.

Quick Reply: Returning Lease - Will they notice a 1.5" drop