IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

aftermrkt warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 11:26 AM
2FiVE8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering, I recently bought a 2006 IS250 with 70,000 miles and is obviously out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get some sort of coverage so I can get all the TSBs done? or am I out of luck completely?
Old 04-06-11, 11:40 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
Can you get an extended one on a cpo before the cpo expires or does it have to be before the standard bumper to bumper?! I have another year on my factory bumper to bumper and roughly 18k miles but w/ the cpo warranty I have another 3 years and 68k.
you can only do that at time of purchase....
Old 04-06-11, 12:06 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
Can you get an extended one on a cpo before the cpo expires or does it have to be before the standard bumper to bumper?! I have another year on my factory bumper to bumper and roughly 18k miles but w/ the cpo warranty I have another 3 years and 68k.
This is my understanding (I just bought a CPO IS350 and extended the CPO warranty at time of purchase):

Lexus has 4 offerings of extended warranties for used cars:

1) Certified Pre-Owned (CPO)
2) Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA)
3) Gold VSA
4) Powertrain VSA.

If you are within the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, you CAN purchase a VSA (Platinum, Gold, or Powertrain) at any time before the factory warranty expires.

If you are out of the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, you CANNOT purchase an extended warranty from Lexus UNLESS it is at the time of purchase.

At the time of purchase, if it is a CPO car you can elect to purchase an extended CPO warranty OR you can elect to purchase one of the Platinum, Gold, or Powertrain VSAs. The ONLY way to purchase an extended CPO warranty is at the time of purchase of a CPO vehicle.

At the time of purchase of a non-CPO vehicle that is within the last 9 model years, you CAN elect to purchase a Platinum, Gold, or Powertrain VSA, but NOT an extended CPO warranty.

Hope this helps clear things up. And on a side note, for some reason people get especially emotional and hyperbolic when stating their opinions on extended or aftermarket warranties. Everyone will differ in two important ways relating to their opinion on aftermarket warranties:

1) Every person's risk preference is different.

Those who are more risk-loving may prefer not to purchase an extended warranty and instead invest the money they'd otherwise have spent on it and save for future repairs. The play here is that they're betting the money they put away now will be worth more than enough in the future to cover their repairs (so they come out ahead).

Other people are more risk-averse and may prefer to purchase an extended warranty for the peace of mind. The play here is that they're betting the present value of the future cost of repairs will be more than the cost of the extended warranty today (so they come out ahead).

Also, keep this is mind: costs are not always measured in dollars. There is a significant cost related to stress and hassle when dealing with car repairs. Many posters here and on other threads state that you're better off putting the money you'd have spent on an extended warranty away for potential future repairs. However, this is assuming the only costs associated with car repairs are monetary. If you are risk-averse or get stressed and dislike hassles, the non-monetary emotional and logistical costs can be very high if you end up needing a car repair in the future and do not have a warranty. Even if the cost of this repair is less than the money you originally put away for it, the stress and hassle costs may be significant and must be factored in.

Keep in mind I'm using the word "risk" in purely economic terms, not normative; in other words, risk is not a bad thing, just something that is managed differently by different people.

2) Many people may have had different experiences with past aftermarket/extended warranties, both positive and negative.
This will obviously influence their experience with you.

Most everyone's recommendation on whether or not you should purchase an extended or aftermarket warranty will be informed by the above two factors. Problem is, those two factors are largely irrelevant to you and your purchase decision. You will inevitably have a different risk preference than those making recommendations, and you can't guarantee another person's experience with one company will be the same as your experience with that same company or another.

You need to decide based on your risk preference and past experience with warranties/car repairs what is best for you. I am more risk-averse and have had good experiences with warranty companies and bad experiences with car repairs, so all of the above led me to seek out a CPO car and purchase a further extended warranty.

Some of the above posters' negative experiences and opinions regarding extended warranties run completely counter to mine. I can't say they're wrong, nor can they say I am, it's just that we've had different experiences.

I think as a closing remark, the distinction between "extended" and "aftermarket" is important. Lexus-backed warranties are "extended" warranties, while warranties from third-party companies will be "aftermarket extended" warranties. The only point nearly everyone will agree upon is that if you are going to purchase an extended warranty, it is always safer and more prudent to purchase a Lexus-backed warranty than one from a third-party company. This is because 1) everything including dealings with dealerships and payments are easier and more straightforward, 2) Lexus' warranties are often exclusionary and more comprehensive than other companies', as other companies' policy coverages are written generically and without specific cars in mind (as Lexus' are), and 3) there is little fear of Toyota/Lexus going out of business, while many third party warranty companies have and will, putting your coverage in jeopardy.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-06-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 12:55 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by 2FiVE8
I was wondering, I recently bought a 2006 IS250 with 70,000 miles and is obviously out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get some sort of coverage so I can get all the TSBs done? or am I out of luck completely?
If you see my above post, you'll see that you're unfortunately out of luck as far as Lexus warranties are concerned. You could still purchase a third-party aftermarket warranty, but it might be expensive given your mileage. And even then it's not guaranteed to cover everything.

However, if it's any consolation, there actually is no Lexus warranty that covers "all TSBs". The factory bumper-to-bumper covers all TSBs, however this is not true of the extended warranties. Many TSBs (those relating to rattles, noises, squeaks caused by body or trim pieces, anything relating to non-covered parts like trim and weatherstripping) are not covered by any extended Lexus warranty. The big example is the 2IS dash rattle that afflicts most every 06-08 2IS. This is covered by the factory warranty, but not by any extended warranty, and it can cost $1000+ to fix.
Old 04-06-11, 01:05 PM
michaelisf
Driver

Thumbs up thx bro

thx bro i will follow that advise
Originally Posted by Gregz_IS
Aftermarket warranties are a joke.

Once you give them money they will do everything they can to keep every penny.

IF they are still in business when you have a claim they will deny coverage of many parts required to do a repair ( oil, coolant, gaskets, seals, hoses, etc).
They will only pay the cheapest price for parts and will pay a labor rate to the shop that is way below the going rate in the market.

As a former shop owner I learned that it was not worth dealing with these warranty companies. It involved too much time on the phone and I had to jump thru too many hoops to get paid. Plus I refused to lose money on a job trying to satisfy a warranty company. gregg thx for advise i will follow ur advise bro

I would repair the vehicle and let the customer get their reimbursement from the warranty company on their own.

I would explain to the customer how the warranty company would handle the claim and how they would deny most of it. I was correct in every instance.

Instead of buying an aftermarket waranty put the money in the bank and use the money if you have a major repair. If you never have to use the money for repairs you will have a chunk of cash to put towards your next vehicle.

Old 04-06-11, 01:07 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^ What about Lexus Factory Extra Care platinum Zero Deductible Warranty??? this is the one i got
Old 04-06-11, 01:19 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by michaelisf
thx bro i will follow that advise
Just to throw this in there, I had a third-party aftermarket extended warranty on my last car and I had none of the issues he's talking about. Both my independent shop manager and the two dealers I took my cars to had no problems working with my extended warranty company (Interstate), claims were denied or approved quickly (based on the inclusionary policy I purchased) and payment was sent within 24 hours in cases of covered claims. As long as the parts that needed to be repaired/replaced were listed as covered on the warranty policy (as is the case with inclusionary policies), the warranty company agreed to and paid for the repairs without a fuss and promptly.

I had no complaints from any shop that worked with my aftermarket warranty company, and never did they insist I pay more than the warranty company offered for the repair.

Just wanted to offer my experience as a counter example to the one above.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-06-11 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-06-11, 01:21 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
^^^ What about Lexus Factory Extra Care platinum Zero Deductible Warranty??? this is the one i got
I believe you're talking about the Platinum VSA. This can only be purchased either:

1) On a car that is still under the factory bumper-to-bumper 4 yr/50k mile warranty, or
2) On a car at the time of purchase of that car.
Old 04-06-11, 01:35 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I believe you're talking about the Platinum VSA. This can only be purchased either:

1) On a car that is still under the factory bumper-to-bumper 4 yr/50k mile warranty, or
2) On a car at the time of purchase of that car.
So just le me get this clear, it covers everything just like the original factory warranty covers that comes originally with the car right?
Old 04-06-11, 01:44 PM
xnfsx
Pole Position

i have a CPO is250 and the CPO warranty expires in sept of 2012. What are my options, I dont believe i am in the bracket for the 4yr/50000 miles warranty anymore. I have an 06.
Old 04-06-11, 01:45 PM
calvin2376
Racer

No. It's very close, but does not cover everything that comes originally with the car.

The PDF brochure is at the bottom of this page: http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...umProgOverview

These items are NOT covered by the Platinum VSA:

ITEMS NOT COVERED
Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body
Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes,
Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet;
Chrome; Clutch Friction Disc and
Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad;
Door Trim, Handles, and Fabric; Filters;
Fluids; Glass (including Windshields);
Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Hinges; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle
Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery
Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay
Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery
Assembly; Interior and Exterior Trim
Moldings (including but not limited to:
Ashtrays, Covers, Cup Holders, and
Vents); Lamps (Back-up, Fog Light,
Side Marker, and Turn Signal Light
Assemblies); Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts,
Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust
and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers;
Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark Plugs;
Structural Framework and Welds; Tires;
Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Weather
Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield
Wiper Blades (Rubber component)

Some of those items listed above WOULD be covered by the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, such as trim, linings, hinges, cup holder, dash cover and pad, etc. To use the example again, the dash rattle TSIB applies to the dash cover and pad. Performance of this TSIB (which can cost over $1000) IS covered by the factory warranty, but is NOT covered by any extended warranty, including the Platinum VSA, because it applies to the dash cover and pad, which is not covered.

There is about 95% overlap between the Platinum VSA and factory warranties. That 5% consists of certain things listed above that are not covered by the VSA but ARE covered by the factory warranty. Most of these things would be slight and inexpensive, like interior trim pieces, weatherstripping, etc, however in some cases, like the dash rattle, they can be quite significant.
Old 04-06-11, 01:47 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by xnfsx
i have a CPO is250 and the CPO warranty expires in sept of 2012. What are my options, I dont believe i am in the bracket for the 4yr/50000 miles warranty anymore. I have an 06.
I do not believe you can purchase any extended warranty at this point, as you are out of factory coverage and you purchased the car in the past. Your options would be limited to third-party companies.
Old 04-06-11, 01:48 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

what most people fail to realize with extended warranties is if you get a 7yr/100k extended warranty, it does not add 7yrs on top of the factory 4yrs. it means you extended the 4yrs to 7yrs total.

also a lot of third party warranties (say 5yrs/50k) will say when the time actually starts ticking. its not always the day you sign the warranty and most the time its when the car was first registered.
Old 04-06-11, 01:54 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

lol whats the point in the warranty when those things are not covered? I mean paying that amount of money for a extended warranty then on top of it paying another $1000 just get something replaced is absurd
Old 04-06-11, 02:03 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
lol whats the point in the warranty when those things are not covered? I mean paying that amount of money for a extended warranty then on top of it paying another $1000 just get something replaced is absurd
I personally agree, and I feel the dash rattle should be covered by Lexus (meaning they should expand the TSIB's warranty coverage to more than just factory, because it's a pure design flaw on Lexus' part), however keep in mind that most of the items on the NOT COVERED list are maintenance/wear and tear items, and the items on that list typically are not hugely expensive to repair, relative to say, an engine, which IS covered. The dash rattle is anomalous.

Quick Reply: aftermrkt warranty