IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

aftermrkt warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 02:07 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I personally agree, and I feel the dash rattle should be covered by Lexus (meaning they should expand the TSIB's warranty coverage to more than just factory, because it's a pure design flaw on Lexus' part), however keep in mind that most of the items on the NOT COVERED list are maintenance/wear and tear items, and the items on that list typically are not hugely expensive to repair, relative to say, an engine, which IS covered. The dash rattle is anomalous.
True, If there is a TSIB issued for it then lexus should defiantly cover it under extended warranty.

This mean i should have the weather strips replaced b4 the 16
Old 04-06-11, 06:54 PM
xnfsx
Pole Position

I do not believe you can purchase any extended warranty at this point, as you are out of factory coverage and you purchased the car in the past. Your options would be limited to third-party companies.
-_- so after my CPO runs out, im left with nothing. i should sell my car then...
Old 04-06-11, 07:17 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xnfsx
-_- so after my CPO runs out, im left with nothing. i should sell my car then...
Well, after your CPO runs out, you're still left with a car..

And it's a Lexus, meaning it's likely to be very reliable and probably more reliable than most other cars on the road. Also keep in mind the vast majority of cars on the road are not covered by any warranty. It's cost-prohibitive to have a car covered by warranty its whole life. Your IS if treated well will last 200k miles or more. However, at some point earlier than that, the cost a warranty company would charge you to cover it would be more than the value of the car.

If you do find yourself feeling the need to sell the car when the CPO warranty runs out, then you know that for your next car you'll want to purchase a warranty that runs longer, if that's your preference.
Old 04-07-11, 11:50 AM
2FiVE8
Driver

If you see my above post, you'll see that you're unfortunately out of luck as far as Lexus warranties are concerned. You could still purchase a third-party aftermarket warranty, but it might be expensive given your mileage. And even then it's not guaranteed to cover everything.

However, if it's any consolation, there actually is no Lexus warranty that covers "all TSBs". The factory bumper-to-bumper covers all TSBs, however this is not true of the extended warranties. Many TSBs (those relating to rattles, noises, squeaks caused by body or trim pieces, anything relating to non-covered parts like trim and weatherstripping) are not covered by any extended Lexus warranty. The big example is the 2IS dash rattle that afflicts most every 06-08 2IS. This is covered by the factory warranty, but not by any extended warranty, and it can cost $1000+ to fix.
Thanks for the input, sucks that I have a Lexus with annoying rattles and a squeaky seat that wont be covered. I guess now the choices are pay thousands of dollars to fix the issues, sell the car, or deal with it. Has anyone ever heard of a place that can fix these issues for cheaper than the dealer??
Old 04-07-11, 12:49 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FiVE8
Thanks for the input, sucks that I have a Lexus with annoying rattles and a squeaky seat that wont be covered. I guess now the choices are pay thousands of dollars to fix the issues, sell the car, or deal with it. Has anyone ever heard of a place that can fix these issues for cheaper than the dealer??
The $1000+ price quote for the dash rattle TSIB is all labor. The parts involved are a few clips and a bunch of foam - very inexpensive. The price is so high because it takes 3-4 hours+ for a dealership to fix, and that's at dealership labor rates.

If you took your car to somewhere with lower hourly labor rates, the price quote would be lower. However, no matter where you take it, taking the dash pad off is a long and complicated job, and so you'll still be paying for a few hours labor.

Keep in mind though that if you take your car to someone other than a dealer, they may not be as experienced in this kind of work and you're at higher risk of having complications. My very good independent shop told me that they'd be happy to do the work, but admitted more often than not when you remove the dash pad and replace it, you can end up with new squeaks/rattles that weren't even there before.

There is a DIY or two out there for how to remove the dash for the more intrepid of you out there.