IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 09:06 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!

I am so pissed today. I am suppose to ship my f-sport springs to a user on monday because I thought I would have gotten my bc coils installed today. My friend came down to penn college and helped me install the coils. We worked on 2 sides (right side) first and everything went well and the Bcs are installed. We lowered the whole car and tried to unbolten the f sport wheel lock lugnut with the key lock but the key lock broke! Now I am stuck with 2 coilovers on one side and 2 f-sport springs on the other. I had the f-sport lugnut for 2 weeks so far and the quality of the lock itself is not worth $150 to spend on! Now I am in a dilema because my friend is going back to penn college on Sunday and I need to go to school on monday. If the lugnut key did not break, we would have installed the coils in under 4 hours. However, we cannot unbolt the rims because of the lock. What should I do? Should I take the key to a welder a fix it? Pictures are below if you know what I mean. Insights and advice will be appreciated. Anyway to take out lugnuts without damaging wheel? I don't want to drive around with 2 coils on one side and 2 f-sport springs on the other!
Attached Thumbnails My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!-new-pictures-052.jpg   My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!-new-pictures-053.jpg   My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!-new-pictures-054.jpg   My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!-new-pictures-056.jpg   My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!-new-pictures-057.jpg  

Old 03-25-11, 09:11 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like ur in a bind.... I would try to see what u could to to get that socket together like the welder idea.
Old 03-25-11, 09:11 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Here is a picture of my car when it was alive and roling. I miss her dearly=(. Damn you f-sport lock!
Attached Thumbnails My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!-new-pictures-043.jpg   My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!-new-pictures-045.jpg   My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!-new-pictures-036.jpg  
Old 03-25-11, 09:15 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice looking car...The face just fell off the wheel lock key! Yeah, just a weld if you want it QUICK! Place an order for another key anyways. Good luck either way. At least you can still drive it at worst case scenario.
Old 03-25-11, 09:28 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

you can always pull the robber style and get a slightly smaller size socket and hammer it in and than unbolt it. But thats only if you are really desperate.
Old 03-25-11, 09:31 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

damn dude, sorry to hear that. Check if any locals have it.

hahaha looks just like my car LMAO
Old 03-25-11, 09:34 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

+1 on the smaller socket and hammer it in to get that lug nut out. Or head to you local Lexus dealer to get another set.

Trending Topics

Old 03-25-11, 09:38 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

that car is SHARP!

now, for the lug problem. go to oreilys auto and get the lug nut removing specialty socket and back off those locking lugs. buy a diff set imo, that key looks janky.
Old 03-25-11, 09:41 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

that sucks bud, at least your first coil over experience didn't result in cracked paint on the fender like mine did though haha. Hustle up and get some pics of that thing slammmmed.
Old 03-25-11, 09:46 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No no no!! Don't try to fix it yourself!! Don't hammer it!! Is it drivable at all? Even lopsided? Take it to the nearest dealer, they have a master key!! Mine broke when they were doing the springs too and they just used the master key to get them off. They ordered a new one for me that matches the existing lugs. They can order you one, I think it was somewhere around 80 bucks if memory serves me right. Just get plain nuts to get it home so you can work on it.
Old 03-25-11, 10:00 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Micaiah
No no no!! Don't try to fix it yourself!! Don't hammer it!! Is it drivable at all? Even lopsided? Take it to the nearest dealer, they have a master key!! Mine broke when they were doing the springs too and they just used the master key to get them off. They ordered a new one for me that matches the existing lugs. They can order you one, I think it was somewhere around 80 bucks if memory serves me right. Just get plain nuts to get it home so you can work on it.
im pretty sure its drivable, since it should only be one lock bolt. just re-bolt and bring it to the dealership, if you want. but you can always do the hammer way.
Old 03-25-11, 10:04 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the advice! I don't think the car is drivable because the right side is 0 finger gap and the left side is 2.5 finger gap lol. It would look like my car is doing a wheely on the right side lol! But thanks for the advice yall never fail! But can someone clarify the hammer way? Is it possible to weld the face back to the lock key? I went to the dealer yesterday and they told me that they didn't have a lock key for it and I would have to wait 5 days to be shipped to the dealer =(!
Old 03-25-11, 10:15 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Well, you can always raise/lower the coils up to match the height for now.

But here is a video that will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A

Last edited by new.era.13; 03-25-11 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-25-11, 10:21 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

^^^^ try it, it might help
Old 03-25-11, 10:35 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

new and bigrahizzle thanks! Only if my lugnuts was silver. The lugnut is painted black so it might damaged the paint and might damage the satin blacks lc818! Just going to sleep tonight and hopefully, magically, the lug nuts will be loosen by tommorow =(.I think my best bet is to weld that piece onto the lock again.. Will see, what do you guys think. Possible to weld it back on and how long will it roughly take.!?

Quick Reply: My coilover experience resulted in fail!!!