IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tire & Rim Protection Plan

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 12:05 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire & Rim Protection Plan

I'm currently in the market to LEASE a 2011 F-SPORT ISx50. I'm being quoted for $1,295(non-negotiable according to Lexus dealership) for a TIRE & RIM Protection plan.

The company to provide this plan is
http://www.absoluteautomotive.biz/

As noted by the brochure I got from the Lexus dealership and the website listed above, they say that they are the most comprehensive rim/wheel and tire "repair" and "replacement" coverage in the industry.

Rim/Wheel Coverage:
* Curb Damage
* Bent Rims
* Scratches
* Cosmetics
* Scrapes and Gouges
* No deductible
* Paint matches for all OEM Wheels
* Simulated lathe lines for machined wheels

Tire Coverage:
* Pot Holes
* Curb Damage
* Scrap Metal
* Broken Glass
* Nails & Screws

I don't see anything about bubbles but I guess that would go under potholes since its potholes that usually cause bubbles to appear?

IS IT WORTH $1,295 or even WORTH IT AT ALL???...
as an F-Sport rim on is.sewellparts.com for clublexus members would be $446.96 for an 18x8 and $449.39 for an 18x8.5. Total of 4 new rims would be $1,869.72 including shipping($77.02). So at $1,869.02 for new rims WITHOUT the tires, the coverage plan seems to be cheaper. I live within the 5 boros of NY where the roads are horrid which is also giving me the edge to take the coverage plan.

I understand anything can happen to anyone but I would like to get your thoughts on whether you would get this plan because I wonder what the dealership would do in terms of minor vs. major damages ; would they go about it in the cheapest way to REPAIR damaged rims and/or tires OR go the extra mile to the fullest extent in REPLACING damaged rims and/or tires. My guess would be the cheapest route to save themselves money. After all, the car is a LEASE. And I do live in NY where roads are terrible so it's almost like I'm expecting to damage my tires or rims whether it be caused by myself or another party.

Also, the Lexus dealership offers a remote starter/alarm for $1,499(negotiable). I've read on here about how this is a complicated system for an installer who isn't very, for a lack of better words, talented... Would you get the remote starter/alarm from the Lexus dealership?

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-27-11, 06:48 AM
DarkIs250
Rookie

Get the plan, then offer to replace damaged rims for clublexus members for a price lol
Old 03-27-11, 09:43 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the protection after I had already replaced 2 tires the first 3000 miles!!! Potholes create bubbles! However, mine wasn't as costly as your quote, but that was about 2.5-3 years ago.
Old 03-27-11, 09:45 AM
LEX Fairy
Driver School Candidate

Which dealer did you go to? I paid $500 for mine at Rallye Lexus...
Old 03-27-11, 10:06 AM
skinfan2k
Rookie

all my rims are chipped on the edges, i dont know if its worth it to fix...
Old 03-27-11, 10:20 AM
DajonDondo
Pole Position

that seems a little too much.... mine is just $9 a month added to my monthly.
Old 03-27-11, 01:13 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

I believe it was about $500 for 5 years. I really dont remember. Warnock Lexus.
Old 03-27-11, 03:08 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must be an east cost thing... i wasnt offered that. have you caused any of the damage covered in that warranty on your previous car? if so, get it. if not, dont get it.
Old 03-27-11, 07:21 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Uh you don't have the giant potholes in CA. You have the SF Giants (Yay!) World Champions instead! I never had a problem with my RXs. Its the low profile tires on the IS. My cheapie car requires this and ding protection!!!
Old 03-27-11, 08:56 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Uh you don't have the giant potholes in CA. You have the SF Giants (Yay!) World Champions instead! I never had a problem with my RXs. Its the low profile tires on the IS. My cheapie car requires this and ding protection!!!
We don't have giant pot holes in CA? lol my friend you have never driven on the I-405/215/10/71 then

My old car had 3 tires replaced in a year and a half because of potholes in CA!
Old 03-27-11, 09:05 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Originally Posted by DarkIs250
Get the plan, then offer to replace damaged rims for clublexus members for a price lol
Haha, clever idea.

I purchased the protection after I had already replaced 2 tires the first 3000 miles!!! Potholes create bubbles! However, mine wasn't as costly as your quote, but that was about 2.5-3 years ago.
I did my research but I got somewhat lazy. The prices for this wheel/rim & tire protection plan were cheaper years ago; information I got from researching tire & wheel coverage plans.

Originally Posted by LEX Fairy
Which dealer did you go to? I paid $500 for mine at Rallye Lexus...
This was at Lexus of Massepequa. Do you think I would be able to lease the car from Lexus of Massepequa and then get the plan elsewhere, perhaps from Rallye Lexus since its cheaper? How long ago did you take this $500 wheel & tire coverage plan?

I believe it was about $500 for 5 years. I really dont remember. Warnock Lexus.
How long ago was this?

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
must be an east cost thing... i wasnt offered that. have you caused any of the damage covered in that warranty on your previous car? if so, get it. if not, dont get it.
I did scrape my previous rims against the sidewalks, accidentally. It happens so I think I may go with the plan. $1,295 is pricey though

Ahh so your SF Giants took the title after my Yankees had won it the year before. I was rooting for the SF Giants over the Texas Rangers, since it was Texas that beat my Yankees. The sidewalls on the OEM ISx50 tires are terrible.
Old 03-28-11, 09:41 AM
Corps Vet
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in northern Jersey & I say Get the plan! I didn't & it's the one regret I have on an otherwise great car.

I've got an 07 IS250AWD with stock 17's all around. Car is driven very easy & do my best to avoid anything that even looks like a pothole. To date that plan would have more than paid for itself in tires & wheels.

These low profile tires just don't seem to hold up well at all to any holes in the road & this time of year they're everywhere & hard to avoid in traffic or especially at night.

Maybe you can negotiate down the price but overall its good insurance. My guess would be the prices on the protection went up drastically because of all the tires & wheels they're replacing.
Old 03-28-11, 09:52 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 209 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Corps Vet
I'm in northern Jersey & I say Get the plan! I didn't & it's the one regret I have on an otherwise great car.

I've got an 07 IS250AWD with stock 17's all around. Car is driven very easy & do my best to avoid anything that even looks like a pothole. To date that plan would have more than paid for itself in tires & wheels.

These low profile tires just don't seem to hold up well at all to any holes in the road & this time of year they're everywhere & hard to avoid in traffic or especially at night.

Maybe you can negotiate down the price but overall its good insurance. My guess would be the prices on the protection went up drastically because of all the tires & wheels they're replacing.
I agree! The price alone for a tire is already 1/3 of that.
Old 03-28-11, 12:28 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

I bought the plan I'm sorry to say. Never used it because the small print said I had to bring the car in for alignments way too often. Seems like there was another requirement but the paperwork is in the car and the car is in re-call heaven right now.
Old 03-28-11, 12:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have it, l'll take my chances.

Quick Reply: Tire & Rim Protection Plan