IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible is350 buyer with a few more questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 06:09 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Possible is350 buyer with a few more questions...

Alright, So I found the car... a 2006 is350 with 65k miles. Perfect condition, clean carfax, (relatively) good dealer, etc.

I am convinced on the car for most of my usage; however, I still am not 100%.

#1: I will mainly be using the car for street use, but a few of my friends have 335i's, g37's, etc. and take them to the track (autocross) and do hard canyon runs. I have searched this to death already and I am still not convinced. Will this car's cooling systems (oil and trans) be up to the task of doing a few laps on the track or a hard 10+ minute canyon run? Can they be upgraded? Also are there any gauges available or atleast warning lights for transmission and oil temperature?

#2: Are there any threads that detail the options for the car? (Like, how do I know if it was the luxury package or sport package)

#3: Is there anything that I should look out for buying a 2006 is350? I remember that there were some recalls.

Thank you for answering any parts of this question it is a big help. I am (hopefully) going to be trading up from an 01 gs300 and I want to make sure I make the right choice.
Old 03-27-11, 06:21 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a 2007 IS350 with 56k miles on it about 2 months ago, CPO from a Lexus dealer. Here are my thoughts:

1) I know nothing about this, I don't track it or run it hard.

2) There could be threads like this, but it'd be just as easy to Google "2006 IS350 option packages" etc. But as far as whether you know if it was luxury or sport package, you should be able to find that out from the dealer.. They should be able to tell you the packages. Actually I just did your work for you: http://www.automotive.com/2006/12/le...ges/index.html

3) Yes there are a few things:

a) Yes there have been some recalls. Make sure in the service history (you can go to Lexus.com, go to the owner's section, sign up and use the VIN of the car you're looking at and it should give you access to the service history. And I'm not talking about CarFax, this is much more detailed) that all the open recalls have been performed, including the fuel pressure sensor recall from a month ago.

b) With the valve spring recall, Lexus offered an extended powertrain warranty as compensation to affected owners. Not sure if this would transfer to you..

c) There are some infamous TSIBs (Toyota-specific Technical Service Bulletins) that affect your car. Off the top of my head is the ground loop issue which causes feedback through the audio system when you have something plugged into the aux port at the same time as the cigarette lighter. The other BIG one is the dash rattle. Almost every 06-08 ISX50 suffers from this at one time or another. Check the service history (or ask the dealer) if the dash rattle has been addressed, specifically if TSIB L-SB-0044-08 has been performed. They take out the dash, replace the dash clips and apply foam all under the dash to reduce the rattle. None of these TSIBs are covered on your car since you're out of factory warranty. So if you buy the car and find you have the dash rattle, you'll be out $1000 minimum to get it addressed. So test drive the car, and if there's any rattle/squeak from the dashboard, point it out to the dealer, tell him you know there's a TSIB for it, and have them address it before you buy it.

That's all from me. My car's CPO so all the above is covered (I highly recommend the CPO/VSA Lexus warranties, but if that's not your thing I understand). It's already been in 3 times for the dash rattle. You shouldn't be worried about recalls though, because that's all covered free of charge.

I love my IS350, and you will too. Especially the more you get involved on CL haha.
Old 03-27-11, 06:23 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2006 model does not have a traction control off switch so if you take it to the track you will have to do the "pedal dance" to turn it off...

There is a button to turn it off on later models.

It's been discussed many times. Do a search on 2006 IS 350

Calvin, i have the same year and it seems to rattle more now that I asked the dealer to look at it. What did they do the second and third times you took it to them?

Last edited by embolism; 03-27-11 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-27-11, 07:10 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
the 2006 model does not have a traction control off switch so if you take it to the track you will have to do the "pedal dance" to turn it off...

There is a button to turn it off on later models.

It's been discussed many times. Do a search on 2006 IS 350

Calvin, i have the same year and it seems to rattle more now that I asked the dealer to look at it. What did they do the second and third times you took it to them?
That's a very good point on the traction control, especially if you're going to track it..

embolism I'm PMing you because it's taking it off-topic..